+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gunilda. Trip Report. September 13-17, 2010

KISS and rEvo diver Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte is just really nice Peter Piemonte's Avatar
    rEvo

KISS Classic, Dolphin

Gunilda. Trip Report. September 13-17, 2010

I just returned from my second trip up to the Gunilda. I last dove the her in 2006 with Tyler Bradford of Advanced Diving Expeditions. This trip was run by Tyler as well, and as always, Tyler ran a great trip.

For those who may not know the wreck, the Gunilda was a luxury yacht which sank after striking a shoal in 1911. It rests upright in 270ffw. Gunilda is in an incredible state of preservation with lots of artifacts present. There is plenty of information and photo's online regarding this wreck. Most in our group were taking video and I hope some of their work will be posted here soon.

We stayed on shore at the Serendipity Lodge, which proved very comfortable and convenient. The lodge is located about 1000 feet from the public boat launch in Rossport, Ontario.

Greg Such of Shipwreck Adventures provided both transportation to the Gunilda aboard his boat the Little Alexandra, and superb services as captain. Greg proved to be a very qualified and helpful captain. I hope to be able to dive with him again.

We got lucky with the weather, and had 5 dives on Gunilda, but were blown out one day on a planned trip to the Judge Hart. Greg had trailered his boat to Marathon, Ontario which is closer to that wreck. he returned in the morning when it was clear the trip to the J.H. would not be possible, and we went out to Gunilda instead. You know you are in a great spot when the Gunilda is your "blow out" wreck!

The diving itself was fantastic! We had ambient light on the deck of the Gunilda at 250ffw 4 of 5 days. Very different from my last trip there in '06. Viz was great, easily as far as your light would reach...Water tempuratures were also a pleasant surprise with an amazing 42 degrees F on the wreck and 58 degrees at 20'! The thermocline was at about 70 feet making deco stops very pleasant..... The last day was rainy and windy and the wreck was darker with more particulate matter in the water.

We had a fine group of divers whom it was a pleasure spending a week with. My thanks to Brian, John, Doug and my dive buddy Bob for making it a very enjoyable week.

Many thanks also to Tyler and Greg who made every effort to ensure the trip went well.

For those interested in diving the Gunilda Tyler can be reached at ADVANCED DIVING & EXPEDITIONS INC. and Greg at Shipwreck Adventures. Either of these gentlemen will provide a fine service on any trip that they run and have my highest recommendation.

Best regards, Peter Piemonte
    Last edited by Peter Piemonte; 19th September 2010 at 19:09.
    Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis

RBW Member dab is on a distinguished road dab is on a distinguished road dab's Avatar
    rEvo

Oroborus, GEM

Re: Gunilda. Trip Report. September 13-17, 2010

Peter it was a pleasure diving with you and especially nice diving with fellow rEvo owners. I hope we can share more dive trips in the future.

RBW Member nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Took a while but as promised -

from Brian Nadwidny on Vimeo.

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Awesome

the gunilda has been on my disired to dive list for over 20 years
    Last edited by Curt Bowen; 27th October 2010 at 00:30.

RBW Member ScubaAl is on a distinguished road ScubaAl is on a distinguished road ScubaAl's Avatar
    Inspiration, rEvo micro

Really enjoyed the video, Thanks. Dove the Gunilda in 1999 OC time to get back.
    Al

RBW Member Johnny7 is an unknown quantity at this point Johnny7's Avatar
    Revo II

Great video Brian even with me in there...

John McCuaig

RBW Member lemon has a spectacular aura about lemon has a spectacular aura about lemon has a spectacular aura about lemon has a spectacular aura about lemon has a spectacular aura about lemon's Avatar
    Poseidon Mk6

Incredible! Thanks for sharing.

RBW Member Alan is an unknown quantity at this point Alan's Avatar
    SF2

Ouroboros, Draeger

Great job with the video!
    Alan

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

Brian- Great job on the video !!!!, what type of lighting did you use, I had real problems getting clear footage when I dove it because of all the particulates in the water.

RBW Member nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by silentscuba  View Original Post
    Brian- Great job on the video !!!!, what type of lighting did you use, I had real problems getting clear footage when I dove it because of all the particulates in the water.
    Thanks everybody for the compliments!

I used 2 X 50 W HIDs from Light Monkey and had John use his 21W with a video reflector to fill. I'm going to try and reverse that on some future dives (21W on the camera and 50 W for fill) in the future because as you noted, the particulate can be a bastard when it's really dark.
    Last edited by nadwidny; 29th October 2010 at 14:16.