+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dead in 7 Minutes - The Importance of a Continuous Flow Oxygen Orifice

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Dead in 7 Minutes - The Importance of a Continuous Flow Oxygen Orifice

Dead in 7 Minutes - The Importance of a Continuous Flow Oxygen Orifice
    Text by Curt Bowen
    On any rebreather, oxygen is the main gas that keeps the diver alive. Eliminate the supply of oxygen for a short period of time is all that is needed to end in tragedy.

Click on the above image to read editorial

RBW Member Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy's Avatar
    GAF mccr,rEvoII

Dolphin,Pelagian

Re: Dead in 7 Minutes - The Importance of a Continuous Flow Oxygen Orifice

Oxygen is not the main gas that keeps us alive,it is the only gas as far as I am aware that sustains life. That it is added to the loop is what is important,how it is added has been the subject of much conjecture on this forum of late. I do not think Test A has any parameters because "Hey you are not adding any O2 and its a No Brainer that you will die"

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy  View Original Post
    Oxygen is not the main gas that keeps us alive,it is the only gas as far as I am aware that sustains life. That it is added to the loop is what is important,how it is added has been the subject of much conjecture on this forum of late. I do not think Test A has any parameters because "Hey you are not adding any O2 and its a No Brainer that you will die"

This is true, the test was designed to show just how quickly oxygen levels drop in a CCR that has run out of oxygen or a manual oxygen add only unit, IF the diver becomes preoccupied with another life threatening problem or panics, forgetting to add oxygen. (another debate going on here about the UTD unit and their choice that a leaky valve is not needed)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy  View Original Post
    Oh hang on I figured it out for myself...
    Last edited by Silentbob; 10th September 2010 at 22:52. Reason: slow comprehension..

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Great article, but what kind of idiot would not use a MFO?
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Diving Technologist JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba's Avatar
    KISS Classic # 275

MK15, Draeger, TheKyle-CCR

+ 1 nice piece

Supporting Member DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill's Avatar
    HammerHead

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    Great article, but what kind of idiot would not use a MFO?
    I was wondering the same thing.

I've heard those things are really faulty and not necessary and might even kill you by spiking O2 or causing you to cork.

Imagine what a solenoid could do to you.

Probably better to monitor your PO2 by loop volume or something.
    I mean your loop couldn't possibly go hypoxic before you could breath it down.

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Well... I dived my Mk15 for about 3-4 months with no electronics other than the secondary display and the manual oxygen pushbutton when the pod died.

I'm still here

I'm told one of the previous owners dived it that way for three years and did a few 100m+ dips.

I actually found it remarkably easy. Maybe because the 15's original solenoid feels like being punched in the kidneys when it fires, when it isn't firing you notice it and think I should have heard the solenoid now, push the button, check the display, swim about, nagging feeling of missing the punch in the kidneys, push the button, repeat as needed.

CK #159 caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Meg

I'm thinking about doing my own little test tomorrow. Planning two wreck dives in rec. depth range. Will do one normal and one with my 1/4 turn valve closed. Only open it when I need to add oxygen. Effectively not use the orifice.

Cheers!!

Kevin

ADM/RBW Staff John Rawlings has a spectacular aura about John Rawlings has a spectacular aura about John Rawlings has a spectacular aura about John Rawlings has a spectacular aura about John Rawlings has a spectacular aura about John Rawlings's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Great article! Short...sweet...to the point!