+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coelacanth Fever - in Search of the Living Fossil By Jitka Hyniova

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Coelacanth Fever - in Search of the Living Fossil By Jitka Hyniova

Coelacanth Fever - in Search of the Living Fossil
    By Jitka Hyniova
    Underwater studies off the coast of South Africa, using submersible vessels, revealed that Coelacanths inhabit submarine caves and canyons found in slopes and walls in waters 100-700 meters deep. The adult Coelacanths can grow to about 1.5 meter long. They appear to be active at night, spending their day hovering near the ocean bottom. Scientists believe that Coelacanths can live as long as 80 years.

Click on the above image to read editorial

not so new anymore jean-marc is a jewel in the rough jean-marc is a jewel in the rough jean-marc is a jewel in the rough jean-marc is a jewel in the rough jean-marc is a jewel in the rough jean-marc is a jewel in the rough jean-marc is a jewel in the rough jean-marc's Avatar

Re: Coelacanth Fever - in Search of the Living Fossil By Jitka Hyniova

I think that we have been more lucky
    coelacanthe
    more pictures

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc  View Original Post
    coelacanthe
    more pictures

Write it up for an article.....

RBW Member Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz's Avatar
    Hammerhead Inspo

Classic Inspo

coelacanthe
    more pictures
    If it's you in the picture- you're one lucky motherf...cker. Up until about 3 years ago more people had walked on the moon's surface than people who had seen a coelecanth in it's natural environment with their own eyes. At a place called Sodwana here in South Africa the continental shelf ends very close to the beach with a vertical drop off from +/- 65m right down to who knows where into a gorge. Just before the drop off there's a huge coral tree about 8m high with lots of fishes sitting on it's "branches". One day a group of 6 divers went down with single 18l cylinders, in the middle of the day, to go and take pictures of this cool coral tree... and what they found when they got there was a coelecanth swimming around not even being scared away by all the divers. When they came back and told everybody- no one believed them, but of course they had the pictures to show everybody. Up until that day it was believed that they hide away during day time at great depthes in caves and under overhangs and only come out at night to shallower depths to feed. It is believed that they are territorial and return to the same site after hunting and each individual has skin markings that like a fingerprint distinct for that individual fish.

It's a good trip to make to South Africa to go and search for them if you're one of the really hardcore tech rebreather guys as they're usually found in depths ranging from 90-125m. A guy called Peter Timm from Triton dive charters is the guy to contact if you're interested. He was the first to find them and guards the GPS coordinates with his life and he's the only one that has a permit to dive there. He's also the one through which this French film crew worked if I'm not mistaken. I've done 2 dives to look for them but no luck so far....
    Last edited by Pierre Lotz; 2nd September 2010 at 05:51.

RBW Member BuksPotgieter is an unknown quantity at this point BuksPotgieter's Avatar

I dived Jesser & Wright Canyons off Kwazulu Natal in August 2001 and we found no Coelacanths.

I then returned to Triton to dive Jesser Canyon in March 2008 together with Peter Timm & Pieter Smith and we encountered 5 Coelacanths at a depth of 105m!! What a thrill!

Alternative Dive Group (who arranged the March expedition) returned in August 2008 and dived to the exact spot, finding nothing

There are no walls under the sea and it is extremely difficult to guarantee a Coelacanth sighting.

We have found them in 1 out of 3 expeditions....

Buks

Monty Guest montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg's Avatar
    APOCALYPSE #032

Ray, Dolphin, PVR-BASC, IDA-71

Hey Buks

Welcome to RBW!!!

I was wondering what it would take to get my other fellow ADG members to make contributions :-P

rgds
    monty

not so new anymore jean-marc is a jewel in the rough jean-marc is a jewel in the rough jean-marc is a jewel in the rough jean-marc is a jewel in the rough jean-marc is a jewel in the rough jean-marc is a jewel in the rough jean-marc is a jewel in the rough jean-marc's Avatar

Wink Re: Coelacanth Fever - in Search of the Living Fossil By Jitka Hyniova

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Lotz  View Original Post
    If it's you in the picture- you're one lucky motherf...cker
    It's not me on this picture but I was not very far ;
    it was a professional expedition leading by the biologist Laurent Ballesta, so I have no right myself to publish anything but I will see if something can be done for RBW.

Expedition took place in Sodwana begining 2010 (with Peter Timm). Team of 4 rebreather divers. Diving 4-5h / 100-120m almost every day during 4 weeks. We have seen the coelacanthe only 6 times during 25 to 35' each successful dive.
    Difficult dives with a lot of current, drift more than 8km during deco sometimes.
    This fish can be over 1.80m. It is very peaceful and his way of getting around is really unique.

RBW Member Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz has a spectacular aura about Pierre Lotz's Avatar
    Hammerhead Inspo

Classic Inspo

It's not me on this picture but I was not very far ;
    it was a professional expedition leading by the biologist Laurent Ballesta, so I have no right myself to publish anything but I will see if something can be done for RBW.

Expedition took place in Sodwana begining 2010 (with Peter Timm). Team of 4 rebreather divers. Diving 4-5h / 100-120m almost every day during 4 weeks. We have seen the coelacanthe only 6 times during 25 to 35' each successful dive.
    Difficult dives with a lot of current, drift more than 8km during deco sometimes.
    This fish can be over 1.80m. It is very peaceful and his way of getting around is really unique.
    Did you guys shoot some vidoe footage of them? If so can't you organize a quick sneak preview- was it for national geographic? I told my wife the day I find one, I'll hang up my fins... She prays for the fish to turn up somewhere quickly!!!

RBW Member rohan will become famous soon enough rohan will become famous soon enough rohan will become famous soon enough rohan's Avatar

WOW! Very cool indeed!

Hammerhead Inspo

Classic Inspo

Quote Originally Posted by rohan  View Original Post
    WOW! Very cool indeed!
    Rohan,
    When are you coming over to South Africa to do some searching for the prehistoric wonders?