+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Linux on the Desktop

RBW Member Ferg3333 is an unknown quantity at this point Ferg3333's Avatar

Re: Linux on the Desktop

I run open suse 10.1 on a dell M1710 for personal and HPC use. It allows ease of integration between other computers/supercomputers and there is not much it cant do.

Michael Prange Michael Prange is an unknown quantity at this point Michael Prange's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

I am very happy with Ubuntu 7.04 on my two office Dells. Installation is easy (though dual monitors took a bit of extra work) and software downloads from the Ubuntu distribution server is a pleasure.

Nearly everyone else at work uses M$ products, with M$ Office being used for most documents. I use CrossOver Office to maximize compatibility with their documents. OpenOffice works pretty well, but has trouble exactly preserving the formatting in an MS Office document.

I haven't tried to use vplanner or the vision software with CrossOver since these are office machines. I use them successfully at home on my Mac OS X using Virtual PC.

My OS preference is Mac OS X > Ubuntu > MS Windows.

Michael

Banned - Threat of Litigation AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lamont  View Original Post
    Well, I don't know rebreathers that well, but -- Mac OSX probably has the lowest WoB. Windows is the most popular (Inspiration). But I wouldn't take either of them 10,000 feet back in a 100m deep cave where you probably want to be using Linux (much better designed scrubbers?) even though it may not be the best choice in any one thing. Solaris would also do it, but its way more expensive (Ourborous?) and FreeBSD is a bit more like a DIY and is going to require you to know your shit better and do more work up front and you'll get less support.
    Solaris is free: Solaris 10 is really nice, and I used it for the past 9 months before switching back to Debian with the GNU desktop as some applications would not run otherwise.

However, two weeks ago my PC has a slight accident, which cracked the screen, and our IT Guru advised to try the Mac. I am impressed. Bought one: OK, it is twice the price of a comparable PC, but it simply works. Based on UNIX BSD, but idiot proof. They even have a fixed version of MS Project (Merlin 2). So in scoring out of 100:
    • Mac OSX Tiger: Bees knees. Everything just works. 100%
    • Solaris 10: Very good, but some apps not functioning, and big Word docs run in the picture problems that prevent Open Office being used for serious documents. 70%.
    • Debian with GNU: 65%
    • Redhat etc: 60%
    • MS Windows XP and 2000: 5%
    • MS Windows XP with their official "You are a victim of counterfeighting" virus even though I have a genuine MS Windows hologram: 0%.
    I am converted to Mac now. I am a hard guy to convert because I use so many different apps in engineering. So the message is Stuart: flog your old PC on Ebay and buy a bottle of nice wine with the proceeds to console yourself on the low value the rest of the world place on it, then buy yourself a Mac Powerbook with big display. Even the battery works for 8 hours like it says on the can!

Alex
    Last edited by AD_ward9; 29th May 2007 at 16:14.

HammerHead ccr IT Marco V is an unknown quantity at this point Marco V's Avatar
    HammerHead, BE ccr prototype

Optima Inspiration Aegir PSCR

It's so nice read that many people use Linux.
    I'm not an expert but a homely user since 1999, always with SuSE.
    It's also nice that there is a V-planner release for Linux...:D

RBW Member Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck's Avatar
    Dolphin

Alex, Bravo Mate!

Stewart thanks for starting this thread.

I am an ex-main framer (Wang, IBM) and with a cross over apps I am sold.

Looks interesting...

Alex what engineering apps does it conflict with?
    Auto cad, Solidworks?

Thanks guys... Andrew

Banned - Threat of Litigation AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9's Avatar

Hi Andrew,

Solaris or OSX?

Apple Mac OSX seems OK with everything using Crossover. Found one bug with Merlin 2 (a much better project planner than MS Project - which has got to rank as the buggiest program MS offer), but support was good and there was a simple workaround.

Solaris is much more limited in applications that are availble, and that is the only real problem with it: Solaris 10 is really excellent apart from this. The use of a MS Windows environment from Solaris is not practical because it runs too slowly. Linking in the Debian libraries helps.

Cheers

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyduck  View Original Post
    Alex what engineering apps does it conflict with?
    Auto cad, Solidworks?

Thanks guys... Andrew

Choose Freedom - UKIP Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby's Avatar

We have been using Ubuntu in the office for a project that boots from a CF
    card into a command line using a mini-ITX PC.

The project has been developed on the same type of PC using the full Ubuntu install. Can't complain, it works well and the forum is useful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3