+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: who can explain ppo

RBW Member snowman08536 has a spectacular aura about snowman08536 has a spectacular aura about snowman08536 has a spectacular aura about snowman08536 has a spectacular aura about snowman08536 has a spectacular aura about snowman08536's Avatar

Re: who can explain ppo

In Jarhead terms PPO2 is like the downside effects of % of alcohol Alcohol is like too much N2 in the mix as depth increases, O2 is needed to support life, but can be hazardous to your health in too big a quantity iwth little if any warning. Too much alcohol a term I am faily certain your students are becoming familiar with. Typical Fri night on payday drinking excercise represents a dive.

At the beginning of the drinking excercise (surface) you can drink 10 beers, with no ill effect (assuming these are enlisted guys with limited funds, preflighting at barracks before heading out) but as the night progresses, the beers continue to go down easier(now at 20 beers) but all is well(or at least appears to be even though drunker state is being acheived: but some side effects begin to show (need to take a wicked piss and everything on 2 legs is more attractive no matter the displacement, you may get a tattoo of mom on a conspicuous body part). This should be a sign that you the individual Marine are in a changing environment (though you feel a little off, you cannot place why, nitrogen narcotic effect). If one of them happen to feel a little froggy, someone orders a round of shots, thus spiking the effect.

As you continue the drinking, your alcohol level increases (Higher PP of Nitrogen effect in diving) leading to either Euphoria and invincibilitiy or paranoia (aka "I'm Rambo" or "My recruiter never told me about this" syndrome). Down side is you can continue drinking and a) pass out b)go home with fat chick c) puke your guts out d) wisely turn the drinking excercise and RTB.

However, it is a balancing act, the alcohol mimics the nitrogen (known buzz), the O2 is the hidden danger of the tattoo shop, the fat chick who you take a poke at and end up knocking up, the PFC at the gate with the gun and the badge (minor offence report for not having your belt buckled), or the pissed off Gunny cause you are late on curfew.

The Nitrogen buzz is good, but does outweigh the chance of the follow on items that you can sneak by one time, two times, three times, but kill you or seriously harm you the next, with no apparent reason. Because you are there and for no other reason than you failed to stay within limits (fat chick smothers you, PFC shoots you cause you tell him he has a purty mouth, Gunny stomps you cause he has a case of PTSD and you mouth off, or you get alcohol poisoning)

Perhaps this is more an explanation of the downsides of too high a P of Nitrogen and the corralary effect that can lead up to the problems with high PPO2, but maybe it will lead you on the way.

Though the marshmellows and obliterating fruit may work too, just trying to help with the local dialect.

Aaron

RBW Member Iain third will become famous soon enough Iain third will become famous soon enough Iain third will become famous soon enough Iain third will become famous soon enough Iain third's Avatar
    Classic Inspiration

I like the Marshmallow one. I particularly like the idea that if you eat a glass filled with marshmallows, by taking them under greater pressure you can fit more in the glass and so eat more marshmallows, but if you overdo it there will be too many marshmallows for your body to cope with and you'll throw up.

You need other squishy things to help fill the glass. Something narcotic like a vodka infused marshmallow, and something savoury like bread to reduce the amount of the other two in the glass.

RBW Member lyndhurst is on a distinguished road lyndhurst is on a distinguished road lyndhurst's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Quote Originally Posted by bobby  View Original Post
    You have a blender that at the surface will fit 21 oranges and 79 apples in it. When you blend it up you have juice containing 21% orange and 79% apple. It all mixes together to make the juice.

Now you take that blender 33 feet under water. The blender remains the same volume/size but the apples and oranges squish down to half their size so you can now fit 42 oranges and 158 apples into the same blender. The percentage of juice is still 21% orange and 79% apple but the density is 2 times what it was on the surface. Go to 66 feet the oranges and apples are now a third of their size on the surface so you can now fit 3 times as many in the blender. Percentage of each juice is still the same but the density is now three times as much yet still fits inside the same blender.

Sometimes marshmellows and puff cakes are easier for some people to get their head around the density end of it. I have used both examples in the same class to get understanding from everyone.

The blender is our lungs and will break if pressure is exerted on it from the rising pressure of the juice or marshmellows when we come to the surface so we need to let the contents out as we come up due to the increase in volume.

Hope that helps,

Bobby
    Strewth...

Clear as mud now mate....

RBW Member Mr_Pyro is an unknown quantity at this point Mr_Pyro's Avatar
    Pelagian

Go metric and use ATM

Sorta New Member w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

Just another angle on PPO:

Kramer said tonight that PPO was a "buy" because it's on its 52-week high, etc. The company supplies microporous membranes used in separation and filtration processes, including separators for Lithium batteries, which all divers need, of course. PPO is the stock trading name for Polypore International, Inc.

Figured if you guys can talk about blenders, puffs, fruit, and marshmellows that I could add to the fun by talking about stock, LOL!

Actually, I'm enjoying this thread.
    Bill Ripley

Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

RBW Member snowman08536 has a spectacular aura about snowman08536 has a spectacular aura about snowman08536 has a spectacular aura about snowman08536 has a spectacular aura about snowman08536 has a spectacular aura about snowman08536's Avatar

On a more serious note some resources you may be able to scrounge locally

IANTD Tek closed Circuit rebreather manual- chapter 2 Oxygen and the diver Dr Mel Clarks rebreathers simpified Chapter 8 Physiology
    Dive training mag, Aug 2010 Scuba diving and the law makers article
    PADI diving knowledge workbook

Aaron

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

OK, I gotta try my hand at this too.

First off, make sure that they understand what pressure and compression are. In other words, that if you compress a gas into a space smaller than it is in normal state that it will cause pressure.

Think of your lungs as a 12 ounce cup. Turn the cup over and it is holding the equivalent of a breathe while on the surface. Now slowly submerge the cup (still upsidedown) into a body of water. The deeper the cup goes down, the more compressed the gas becomes and it fills less of the glass. This is also causing the pressure to increase (thus 2nd paragraph). If you use a clear glass and let them see it compressing it might become obvious that the pressure increases proportionaly to the compression (depth).

This experiment will also show the need for additional gas to be added as the depth increases, to be able to have a cup/lung with enough to breathe.

I probably am not explaining this very good, but it plays out very well in my simple little mind.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge's Avatar
    rEvo II

Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by w ripley  View Original Post
    ...Actually, I'm enjoying this thread.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    OK, I gotta try my hand at this too.

First off, make sure that they understand what pressure and compression are. In other words, that if you compress a gas into a space smaller than it is in normal state that it will cause pressure.

Think of your lungs as a 12 ounce cup. Turn the cup over and it is holding the equivalent of a breathe while on the surface. Now slowly submerge the cup (still upsidedown) into a body of water. The deeper the cup goes down, the more compressed the gas becomes and it fills less of the glass. This is also causing the pressure to increase (thus 2nd paragraph). If you use a clear glass and let them see it compressing it might become obvious that the pressure increases proportionaly to the compression (depth).

This experiment will also show the need for additional gas to be added as the depth increases, to be able to have a cup/lung with enough to breathe.

I probably am not explaining this very good, but it plays out very well in my simple little mind.
    nice.

...you would need a deepish bucket to easily see the effect, maybe <0.25m deep
    Last edited by Drmike; 26th August 2010 at 02:27.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2