+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Asthma & (CCR) Diving

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Re: Asthma & (CCR) Diving

Though not a physician, I have read (mostly in the past though) extensively on the subject. The bottom line is that views on this subject have changed over time.

Asthma used to be considered an absolute contraindication to diving. Later, this was modified to the diver candidate being passed if not dependent upon inhaler nor having an attack within a certain period of time.

Things continue to change as more of an understanding is learned. So, if you want to find out information, make sure you are getting it from someone who knows about the latest stances and standards about the subject in the diving medical community.

RBW Member saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation's Avatar

I concur. The bottom line with asthma and diving is:

If the trigger for an attack is consistent;
    this trigger is nearly 100% predictable;
    the trigger can be eliminated during a dive;
    the candidate can dive.

For example, if one is allergic to cat hairs, its unlikely any cat proteins will be in CGA quality air, particularly Grade E nitrox compatible dry air, and thus likely is clear to dive.

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDadMiami
    Though not a physician, I have read (mostly in the past though) extensively on the subject. The bottom line is that views on this subject have changed over time.

Asthma used to be considered an absolute contraindication to diving. Later, this was modified to the diver candidate being passed if not dependent upon inhaler nor having an attack within a certain period of time.

Things continue to change as more of an understanding is learned. So, if you want to find out information, make sure you are getting it from someone who knows about the latest stances and standards about the subject in the diving medical community.

RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saturation
    I concur. The bottom line with asthma and diving is:
    For example, if one is allergic to cat hairs, its unlikely any cat proteins will be in CGA quality air, particularly Grade E nitrox compatible dry air, and thus likely is clear to dive.
    It would be a pity though to die from an asthma attack induced by the ships cat. Effect may be delayed so the clean air later on may not help you.....

Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy
    It would be a pity though to die from an asthma attack induced by the ships cat. Effect may be delayed so the clean air later on may not help you.....
    or cat hairs in your scrubber

Mike O'Neill Mike448 has a spectacular aura about Mike448 has a spectacular aura about Mike448 has a spectacular aura about Mike448 has a spectacular aura about Mike448 has a spectacular aura about Mike448 has a spectacular aura about Mike448's Avatar
    Ft Lauderdale (Florida) & Knysna (South Africa)
    Megalodon

First off - I know nothing about Asthma. This said, I have 2 friends who suffer from Asthma. One has been diving successfully for years with no problems. The other, also a diver, was recently diagnosed with Asthma and told he should not dive.

Now I was wondering: Would a CCR be a better option for an Asthmatic than OC? Again, I know nothing about Asthma but have noticed that diving with a CCR the air remains warmer and does not dry out as much as OC. Would this be a benefit to an Asthmatic?

Cheers
    Mike

RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike448  View Original Post
    First off - I know nothing about Asthma. This said, I have 2 friends who suffer from Asthma. One has been diving successfully for years with no problems. The other, also a diver, was recently diagnosed with Asthma and told he should not dive.

Now I was wondering: Would a CCR be a better option for an Asthmatic than OC? Again, I know nothing about Asthma but have noticed that diving with a CCR the air remains warmer and does not dry out as much as OC. Would this be a benefit to an Asthmatic?

Cheers
    Mike
    I'm afraid there's no such thing as "the" asthmatic. I thrive on desert air wether cold or warm. I think the purity of the air (no (hardly any) pollens) is beneficial to me. Other people may react differently.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3