+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Life Ending Seconds

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

Re: Life Ending Seconds

This article reminded me of why when I was on open circuit diving up to 60m I was never fully convinced of the merits of going from independent doubles to a manifolded set of doubles.

I constantly see lots of divers paying through the nose for manifolded set ups when they are unlikely to venture below 50m.

Singles in my view are cheeper, easier to carry and offer greater reundancy.

The club I originally learnt at lost 2 divers, both ran out of gas whilst distracted and working. They both had single large supplies of gas.

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by depth  View Original Post
    Hi Curt

I support the idea of taking known information and making it "digestable" for the public masses. Yes, for many divers, this is comon knowledge but a reminder is always nice and for the divers who didn't know it is very valuable.
    /Christian

Prior to the test, I was curious on exactly what the outcome would be. Even with 15 plus years of tech diving under my belt, I was surprised with the results.

My original idea was to see if there was a benefit from using doubles with or without an isolation valve.

For myself, (someone with poor flexibility to shut down back mounted tanks) what I concluded was independent sidemount was better for solo cave / wreck exploration.

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

Personally I think I reached the same conclusion particularly based on at the time I dived on air, where when the shit hits the fan and narcosis moves in - the last thing you wanted to be doing was shutting down valves. Also the use of independents got you used to swapping valves as a matter of course so it was instinctive.

RBW Member robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante's Avatar
    HammerMeg, Sidemount Prism,

HammerMk15, LARV, Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    For myself, (someone with poor flexibility to shut down back mounted tanks) what I concluded was independent sidemount was better for solo cave / wreck exploration.
    Hear Hear. It's been years since I've dived OC, but I have come to the same conclusion. Better gear configuration, more streamlined, easier to work with, easy to get a pair(+) of 80's from even a half-ass dive operation. I'll trade off the inconvenience of swapping regulators for all those advantages.

At home I generally dive exclusively with a rebreather.

When I dive abroad on family holidays - I take an AP backpack with, 4 AP CAM bands and plastic twinning blocks + my dive rite rec wing, with 2 regulators. This works really well with standard bottles available at most dive centers. Both regs are bungied round my neck with a quick release clip.

The independant approach makes this very easy and very familiar as easy to facilitate at almost any dive center.

I work on the premise that I am far more likely to have an incident on holiday than at home due to the fact that a. I am diving with someone else, b. I am diving with someone I don't know and c. I don't know what to expect from the dive site and conditions. I also find that twinning up independants avoids any swapping of cylinders between dives and is more balanced and comfy in the water.

I do have a view that the manifolded twin set is the result of an excellent marketting exercise!!

Nearly Bubbleless Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz's Avatar
    Halcyon RB80

Quote Originally Posted by Wol  View Original Post
    I constantly see lots of divers paying through the nose for manifolded set ups when they are unlikely to venture below 50m.
    I'm not sure what bands and manifold cost in the UK. Here it costs $150 USD for a manifold and $150 USD for bands. Very reasonably priced IMO.

ie doubles the cost of the tanks - I think I paid £200 ie $300US for my 2x steel cylinders (it was a few years ago and they were on offer at a show) - although i did later find out that I would need to replace the two valves to manifold the pair as the current MDE pair were no longer compatible ie an extra £100.

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post

Ditto... bad shoulders.

But for me it's independant doubles. Easier to climb our typical ladders than side mounts. One alu 80 on my back and two side mounted bottles go a long way though.

Dave

Ossi gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi's Avatar
    eCCR Hybrid Homebuild

pSCR RO80 Homebuild, LightMCCR

Nice test, very interesting, well done.
    Cheers Ossi

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Hi Curt,

Great Article.

Sent it to my friends that dive OC and told them to buy a Bail Out.

Best regards,
    Chett. L