+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: The (very) Tall German

Phil Siswick, Tango PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

APD Inspiration, Evolution

Re: The (very) Tall German

Quote Originally Posted by Serge  View Original Post
    If you're used to diving DIR OC, you will love rEvo. I am same as you. I started diving the AP evolution, and did not care for its recreational design, plastic frame, webbing, over the shoulder counterlungs, integrated weight system, recreational jacket BC, etc., etc., etc. When I switched to my current unit, everything became right with the world again.

Good luck with your quest!
    Actually, a similar set of issues with the Inspo/Evo, led me to the JJ earlier this year in preference to the rEvo.

Jan, I'm interested that you've excluded the JJ even though you're looking for an eCCR. What led you to that decision? It's just interest - I don't hold a sales position for JJ.

Cheers,

Phil

Nun auch ein Tütenatmer TheTallGerman is an unknown quantity at this point TheTallGerman's Avatar
    JJ #96

Quote Originally Posted by PhilSiswick  View Original Post
    Actually, a similar set of issues with the Inspo/Evo, led me to the JJ earlier this year in preference to the rEvo.
    Phil, would you explain your decision a little or lead me to a thread where you did? Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilSiswick  View Original Post
    Jan, I'm interested that you've excluded the JJ even though you're looking for an eCCR. What led you to that decision? It's just interest - I don't hold a sales position for JJ.
    It's more a matter of getting fewer choicer for my decision. You know there is no CE (I'm not sure how this should affect my decision for a privately used unit), its quite new and (therefore?) I heard and read much more enthusiasm about the rEvo than the JJ, so I think it can not be that wrong. Also there is quite a long thread in here which compares both units and both of them seems to have pros and cons and at the end of the day quite similar when it comes to an decision. But you are right, the JJ has come to my mind when checking the market and looking for shiny new metal. I did not have the Meg on the list, until now. And I'm afraid this would not be the last unit to check.

Phil, I'll promise to have a look at the JJ at Attersee, friends again?

RBW Member chris375 is an unknown quantity at this point chris375's Avatar

As the Meg is already named, you can even get a closer look at this unit at the rebreather gathering. Even for a configuration close to a DIR one the Meg offers a couple of possibilities to realize this.

Monkeywench ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj's Avatar
    Megalodon

definitely take a look at the meg... and also it's little sibling the pathfinder if you get a chance...

if it is any help, my german boyfriend who is a non-diver very much appreciates the build of these units.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTallGerman  View Original Post
    Phil, would you explain your decision a little or lead me to a thread where you did? Thx!

It's more a matter of getting fewer choicer for my decision. You know there is no CE (I'm not sure how this should affect my decision for a privately used unit), its quite new and (therefore?) I heard and read much more enthusiasm about the rEvo than the JJ, so I think it can not be that wrong. Also there is quite a long thread in here which compares both units and both of them seems to have pros and cons and at the end of the day quite similar when it comes to an decision. But you are right, the JJ has come to my mind when checking the market and looking for shiny new metal. I did not have the Meg on the list, until now. And I'm afraid this would not be the last unit to check.

Phil Siswick, Tango PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

APD Inspiration, Evolution

Hi Jan,

My wife and I share a unit, as we have small kids and don't dive together. To try and make an Evo work for us, we ended up with it in an alibox, with a fourth cell and with DT backmount counterlungs. Even then, it didn't feel right.

We had the chance to do a try dive on the JJ with Dave Thompson late last year. It felt right even on that try dive and both of us have been completely happy with it ever since. No regrets whatever. The design and engineering are beautiful, it feels much lighter and simpler (much more like diving hog rigged twin 10s), trims effortlessly and the electronics (Shearwater) are wonderful. There are a few niggles, but they relate to things like the bolts on the stand, so nothing major.

The CE is on it's way, apparently. Although CE was a major factor when we bought the Evo, we decided that, as the JJ has been tested to the CE standards, the lack of an actual certification at the time that we bought it didn't really matter. We're not planning to dive in France or instruct commercially on it.

The rEvo is very nice and a well proven unit. It's a different take on BMCL with an innovative scrubber design, but we preferred the JJ overall.

On that basis, yes

From another (fairly) tall German

Cheers,

Phil

i ko nix dafüa seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu's Avatar
    sf 1,?

jj,mccr-inspi,classic,rgfüm

hi
    i am saturday in weissenbach.if you like we can talk a little about the jj and all other units. 5 jj`s will visit this meeting.
    btw.4 jj`s are user.this give you more insight about the rebreather.

RBW Member Zuercher is an unknown quantity at this point Zuercher's Avatar
    JJ-CCR,Triton M3S

Ap Inspiration Classic

I am also coming with Strokelady to Attersee with 2 JJ:s. Happy to give our opinion aboiut the unit ( 100% positive :) )

Nun auch ein Tütenatmer TheTallGerman is an unknown quantity at this point TheTallGerman's Avatar
    JJ #96

Seems I've to start to schedule my visit to Attersee.

So much to consider, so much rebreathers to check, so many interessting new things, so little time...

Thank you all so far,
    Jan

JJ #96

Just to let you know about my new dive computer I bought last week. So far it's really convincing me and comparing to the DR5 I'm much more satisfied.

You have just to watch not to scratch the glas which seems quite fragile when it comes to this topic. Did realize this way to late...

Last edited by TheTallGerman; 24th August 2010 at 17:20. Reason: typo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5