+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: What is your max depth tolerance to Narcosis?

Troy R. Legner tlegner is on a distinguished road tlegner is on a distinguished road tlegner's Avatar
    MCCR Dolphin

What is your max depth tolerance to Narcosis?

What are your personal max narcotic depth tolerances to narcosis? I know one OC diver that says he is narked at 120ft while two deep oc tech divers routinely go to 210ft on air with no effects of narcosis.

What are your experiences with Narcosis?

Do you think divers built up a tolerance to narcosis?

What are your thoughts on air dil and narcosis?

Thanks, Troy

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Re: What is your max depth tolerance to Narcosis?

Back when we used to do our deep diving exclusively on oc, I routinely dove on air up to 218fsw.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I do feel as though I did build up a tolerance to it.

However, even though I was extremely comfortable at that depth on air, I wouldn't go as far as to say that I was 110% clear headed, but it was perfectly manageable.

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

Air = bad

Trimix = good

nuf said

RBW Member JtM will become famous soon enough JtM will become famous soon enough JtM will become famous soon enough JtM's Avatar
    rEvo II

In good conditions (namely the viz!) i'm fairly comfortable upto 50m on air - and indeed had to do 45m on air for the rEvo course...

I've just qualified normoxic trimix - and have to say on the first 50m dive i did *i* couldn't *perceive* any difference to that of being on air...

I'm not saying i don't get narked but i certainly appear to handle it better than some of my buddy's who have issues with narcosis past 40m...

Troy R. Legner tlegner is on a distinguished road tlegner is on a distinguished road tlegner's Avatar
    MCCR Dolphin

I believe it is good to know what others "own/ personal" tolerances are to narcosis. Knowing that one of my dive buddys gets narked at 120ft helps me look out for him when planning dives we will do. Likewise when doing deeper dives it is even more important to know this before diving rather than bringing a dead buddy back to the surface afterwards who just didnt know if he would be ok or not but didn't want say that ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by JtM  View Original Post
    In good conditions (namely the viz!) i'm fairly comfortable upto 50m on air - and indeed had to do 45m on air for the rEvo course...

I've just qualified normoxic trimix - and have to say on the first 50m dive i did *i* couldn't *perceive* any difference to that of being on air...

I'm not saying i don't get narked but i certainly appear to handle it better than some of my buddy's who have issues with narcosis past 40m...

Closed Account Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg's Avatar
    Classic KISS

I've been narcosis impaired at 80 feet in cold-ish water with low visibility. Since those are the normal conditions where I usually dive, I don't bother with air diluent when I can have trimix. And I won't dive deeper than about 130 feet without it.

--
    Art

RBW Member PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2's Avatar

Hello,

I start feeling it a bit at 150' and feel impaired the closer I get to 200'.

I don't dive more then 120' on Air anymore. It simply doesn't make any sense to do so.

Sincerely,

Paul
    Paul's first law states that the safety of an activity is determined by how forgiving of mistakes the activity is.

Paul's second law states that the difference between an adventurer and an explorer is whether the doing or the learning comes first.

"Don't be surprised if at the center of every hurricane in your life is an "I"." --paul gernhardt

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

An extremely well known and accomplished diver recently (in the last few weeks) died on a 60m dive.

He was lifting something on back gas and ran out of gas.

Strange to run out of gas lifting something? you would have thought you would have noticed your using a lot and that you would keep an eye on reserves?

He refused offered bottom gas and didn't switch to (admit idly hypoxic) deco gas.

He decided instead to try a buoyant ascent from 60m

He didn't make it

Perhaps if he had been on trimix his thought process would have been different. Perhaps not. Who knows?

Then theres Dave Shaw who believed a 50m END was ok? Perhaps it contributed to his death? perhaps not?

I personally have dived to 70m on air and can tell you all about the dive. I have shot some good video at 65m on air on a Inspo CCR and at 65m on air on OC.

On the CCR dive we found a cave no one knew about and drew a map of how to find it which someone did the following week.

I also followed a diver down to 60m on air who I thought was trying to commit suicide. He suffered from depression and had had a bad night the night before. He had drunk too much and spent the morning puking but we went diving together on the understanding it was 30m max. He pushed off deep so fast i couldn't keep up. I raced after him to try and stop him but at 62m I blacked out. I dont know what happened next suffice as to say i woke up hugging a rock at 40m.

My buddy had gone to 70 and he did come back. After the dive he said he just felt like it.

So whilst I am able to function well at 60-70m on air when relaxed I remain fully aware that should something go wrong i will most likely black out or do something monumentally stupid.

I generally feel that 50m in the blue warm water is OK on air but now i dive CCR I use 18/45 when taking a bath so last time I did some 30m OC diving in Cuba with my wife i felt all odd on the dive and quite concerned.

Until i realized I was feeling narcosis.

I will dive deep air on a CCR if no helium is available. BUT ONLY if there is zero option to get helium.

And when i do i know i am taking a stupidly big risk. It wont stop me doing it any more than the national speed limit will stop me thrashing my 250 bhp sports car down the motorway. However I will not try and convince any one that I am being anything but self gratifying, stupid and selfish.

ATB

Mark

RBW Member DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek's Avatar
    AP Evolution

I used to get pretty narc'd on OC air at 120ft IF I wasn't warm enough. If I was cosy and warm in a drysuit and not task loaded - no problem.

Now I would say on CCR in drysuit I'm pretty happy and can function safely with END of 120ft but I've noticed when shooting video that unless the END is about 100ft in cold water I get shakey, badly-shot video.

So I shoot for END of 100ft in North East US conditions where possible, and leave the bag or camera behind if I can't.

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    Inspo classic w/ HH lid

Dolphin as is :)

Sorry.. I know I am a sort of a newbie in this forum and as well my deep diving experience is limited.. I did in generally prefer to dive deeper in my time prior to technical training, so I always did more than the third of my dives below 100' and as well about 10% (of appr. 200 dives at that time) below 130' looking to that I mostly dove Air or a suiting Nitrox..
    I never subjectively experienced any Narcosis effect.
    I did on one 1 single dive in cold water (4°C/40°F) at 130' where I noticed some movement disorders trying to pose for a picture "lying" myself under a beer keg with the regulator out. Took me about 3 approaches to move into position. Never came out the way I wanted and thus I decided to stop the approach.
    Indepedently from such "apperently good" adaption to high PN2 I chose to do the IANTD ART training as first technical training and I was very disapointed at Trimix for not "feeling" anything different during the TX dives.
    However I could notice a big difference in reaction time to the guy who was doing his Adv Nitrox at the same time with Air as Bottom Gas, but then I did not know the guy, so he could be "generally slower"..
    Then with the CCR I had a direct comparison not too long ago when I did more or less 2 identical dives app. 25 min @ 130' on two subsequent days, so I had the direct comparison.. And there was a difference of worlds!
    The air dil. dive was great. I did not feel narced at all. The safety drills we did after app. 20 min spent at 130' went quite well (not perfect but satisfactory to my buddy and myself). But the clear state of mind I had the next day was simply amazing.

So quite frankly to me:

Quote Originally Posted by tlegner  View Original Post
    .... while two deep oc tech divers routinely go to 210ft on air with no effects of narcosis.
    ..is fulfilling the concept of BS IMHO! I agree that they might experience no effects of narcosis.
    They might well adapt and as well cope with it in a safe manner.
    BUT 100% sure they DO HAVE effects of narcosis.
    No offence meant here BTW..

Just my EUR 0.02
    Last edited by Nitrogenius; 26th July 2010 at 19:24. Reason: Bad spelling...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast