+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Addis Charters - part 9

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Addis Charters - part 9

In the usual manner for a grumpy old man, Capt. Add-ass of Add-ass charters (formerly Addis until this trip) was
    in top form with his drunken stupor and yelling obsenities at anybody that was within earshot. It made me very
    nervous to let people actually see me boarding his boat when he finally got close enough to the dock for a line to
    be thrown to me. Naturally the first mate was fast asleep on the bow and I ended up having to secure the vessel
    by myself. I then began to load and secure my gear to the totally awesome benchs he had made (by ME, I might
    add). When we finally got pushed off and headed down the canal, I noticed that Jeff did not smell of his usuall
    alchohol and vomit. I was surprised to discover that he was completely sober and his tantrums were just a side
    effect of the DT's that he was experiencing from his sudden withdrawl from booze.

When we finally got to the ocean and saw the surface conditions we were in awe. It was a flat as glass and there
    was absolutely no wind at all. These are the only conditions that Jeff is able to operate with any sense of safety
    for his passengers or crew.

We headed up north to dive a wreck called the MV Castor. The current was non-existant and conditions
    seemed perfect. We dropped anchor,but could not verify that it was hooked. We tried twice and finally decided
    that I would gear up and just go down and secure the anchor. We we not moving at all and it was the most
    logical approach, even if Jeff was making me dive solo again.

I dropped over the side and headed down the line. There laid the anchor hooked to nothing but sand! I could
    see the wreck and it was no more than about 75 foot away. I played "commercial diver" and picked up the
    anchor and just walked over to the wreck with it. I tied it off and put my clip on the line.

I went off to enjoy my dive and could see that Jeff and Daniele were now at the anchor too. There were some
    pockets of cold water all over the place. It wasn't just a thermocline layer that was easy to get out of.

I went around the stern and ran into a large group of goliath grouper. I did get a picture of them, but I was not
    allowed to get very close. The vis was pretty crappy today, so you will just have to deal with it:

I found a very small lionfish mid way in the wreckage:

Here are my dive buddies as they once again depart and leave me all alone once again:

Neighborhood turtle that I saw just as my dive was ending. Little bastard was swimming kinda fast:

I went and unhooked the anchor and began the ascent/deco. I met up with my buddies (and I use that term very
    loosely) on the line. Once again they finished deco and waved goodbye as they left me to fend for myself again.
    Damn, I could get my little feeling hurt if this keeps happening.

Once My deco was cleared and I was finally on the boat, Jeff was right back to yelling, cussing, and throwing
    another of his tantrums. It seems that we drifted in to very shallow (55 foot or so) and the anchor had snagged on
    something. I was then ordered to jump back in without any surface interval and unstick it. Bounce dives after a
    long deco hang are dangerous, but Jeff would not hear any of that. Over the side I went one more time. Just as I
    was reaching about 30', the line went slack and had broke free. I was going to head back up when it snagged
    again. This time it had caught the Budweiser Bar. Down I went, grabbed the anchor, and swam it over the
    wreck.

Back onboard and put to work immediately. I had to pull up the anchor and stow the line.

We did a little surface interval while eating the sandwiches that yours truly was thoughtful enough to bring. Gotta
    say that they really hit the spot.

Since it was not dark yet and the conditions were so nice, it was decided that we would do a second dive. We
    motored back towards the inlet and checked out the conditions on the United Carribbean. Everything seemed
    about the same and overboard we went. Turns out the vis was still crappy and there were definitely cold pockets
    again. I spent most of my time above the 60' mark in an effort to stay warm. Jeff went up early and I kept
    Daniele company for the duration. I didn't bring my camera this time, so no pics. Maybe she will post a couple -
    HINT HINT HINT!!!

Deco was uneventful. There was a layer of particulate starting at about 25' that was all the way up to the surface.
    We could not even see the boat at 1'. I had to actually raise my head out of the water to see the bow. The hull
    was not visible until I had my hand on it. It was very similar to cave diving in zero visability, except that the boat
    was trying to crack my skull.

........................Misc. pics that I took.....................

Ships propeller:

Fan:

Yellow thingy:
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Re: Addis Charters - part 9

Don,

I must say your photo skills are improving rapidly.... Or did you just buy better equipment? Nice shots...

Are you guys leaving the Lion Fish in place when you find them or are you trying to eradicate them?

Do you leave anyone on the boat when you dive or are you all in the water together? If it's the latter, when and where are your next dives?

Richie

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by diverreb  View Original Post
    Are you guys leaving the Lion Fish in place when you find them or are you trying to eradicate them?
    It's funny you mention that Richie, because even though I have yet to see a lionfish myself, I have been hearing many reports on other oc local message boards of diver encountering them.

I've been considering getting a small collapsable pole spear, but I also don't want to get in trouble with the local marine patrol, because in Florida they do have a ban on any harvesting done with the use of a rebreather, and I'm not sure how they will react if they see me surfacing with one on me.

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Quote Originally Posted by sfldiver  View Original Post
    It's funny you mention that Richie, because even though I have yet to see a lionfish myself, I have been hearing many reports on other oc local message boards of diver encountering them.

I've been considering getting a small collapsable pole spear, but I also don't want to get in trouble with the local marine patrol, because in Florida they do have a ban on any harvesting done with the use of a rebreather, and I'm not sure how they will react if they see me surfacing with one on me.
    Not to worry... Cogan & I will bail you out....

Richie

Sic Semper Tyrannis NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER's Avatar

and the saga continues...

RBW Member Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee's Avatar
    OPTIMA

Quote Originally Posted by sfldiver  View Original Post

You have to go diving to see the lion fish Adrian.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Diverlee  View Original Post
    Ouch!!!
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by diverreb  View Original Post
    Not to worry... Cogan & I will bail you out....

Richie
    Richie, you I can rely on, but Mr. Cogan has been MIA for so long, that at this point, his reliability is suspect!

Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by Diverlee  View Original Post
    Hell no, after all the diving we did before and during our class with Mel, I'm officially on a hiatus from diving until further notice!

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Those cold pockets sound very very dangerous. Be careful out there Don, we don't want you to catch the flu while diving solo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast