+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pete Mesley's TRUK LAGOON "2010 Lust 4 Rust" Trip report

New Member petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Pete Mesley's TRUK LAGOON "2010 Lust 4 Rust" Trip report

Just finished sorting through 3000 odd images of our latest trip to Truk Lagoon. This year there were another 20 of us from 6 different countries. 17 x breathers 3 x O/S. Already planning 2011 Trips. I have 2 trips planned for next year one in July/Aug and the next nov/dec.
    I now have 30 sets of breather tanks, sorb, gas, stage 60 x cylinder kits, medical support etc so this should make life a breeze to come diving truk the way you want to!!!!

If you are interested the full trip report is on this link truk lagoon wreck diving

For those who cant be bothered with the report here are a few images of the trip.
    Here is a link to the images only.
    Truk 2010 slideshow - Images | petemesleyphotography

Hope you enjoy the images as much as we enjoy taking them!

Pete Mesley

Nippo Maru

Reiyo Maru

Pictured here Simon Mitchell cruising round the Fujisan Maru

Bridge section of the Hokuyo Maru

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

Re: Pete Mesley's TRUK LAGOON "2010 Lust 4 Rust" Trip report

some really great photos!!! looks like you all had a blast.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

great photos . trucks still on my list of places in need to dive ,,
    nice to see you have things in hand for ccr divers ,

New Member Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell's Avatar

Hello,

This was my second trip to Truk. Prior to the first I remember being ready for disappointment after all the hype the place gets. The fact I went again this year and will go again a third time next year is all I need to say really. It is diving heaven. The wrecks are fascinating, and even if wrecks are not strictly your thing the wreck-environment interaction ensures there is abundant natural beauty to complement the rust. Indeed, my best photos are the ones that depict this. Pete's trips are long enough to get well entrenched in the wake-eat-dive-eat-dive-eat-sleep-and repeat (x10 at least) routine. And he makes it so easy with cylinders, sorb, gas, stages, tools, analysers etc on site. Brilliant stuff.

Can't recommend it highly enough.

Simon M

So Cal Tech Diver aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie's Avatar
    Meg

Inspo (when it works)

Congrats on another successful trip, Pete! Sorry we couldn't join you this year, I hope to get back one of these days...

...as long as you convince Simon not to tell his godawful jokes. Seriously, what is it about doctors that makes them such terrible comedians???

On another note - I still have 25 HOURS of video that I haven't yet edited from last year. I need to get going on those.

For those of you who are thinking about this trip, Pete is the guy to go with. We dove 3-4 hour runtimes every morning on a deep wreck (160-220 ft depth typically) and 1-2 in the afternoon on a shallow one. You had to watch your OTU's and CNS like a hawk as basically you could do as long as you wanted in the water every day, day after day. What an incredible experience. And Pete is one of the few guys with the coords for a particularly magnificent warship that is rarely dived. And finally, where else can you have one of the world's foremost hyperbaric docs on call if you screw up?
    Andrew Ainslie

Buhlmann = Bend and Mend
    VPM/RGBM = Mend and Bend
    GF 35-50/70-85 = Mend and Mend

New Member Des Murray is an unknown quantity at this point Des Murray's Avatar

Smile Re: Pete Mesley's TRUK LAGOON "2010 Lust 4 Rust" Trip report

Hi from another Pete Mesley Truk repeat offender,

This like Simon M (aka the Doc) was also my second trip, and I am already saving the pennies for a return. Truk is indeed the true Mecca of wreck diving especially if you like penetration dives, engine rooms, Kawasaki shipwrecks (yes I kid you not), marine life, and the odd bell.
    Pete runs a very professional set-up, and to my mind provides the optimum support service for CCR divers, in fact he cannot do enough to make sure that everyone has a mega "Lust 4 Rust" experience.
    His trips also bring together a diverse group of like minded divers from all over the globe to share in this amazing experience.

Highly recommended.

RBW Member underwatergaffer is an unknown quantity at this point underwatergaffer's Avatar

I too was a purveyor of all things Truk! This was my 1st time there and WOW what a place, truly as Des says a mecca for rust!

Pete's trip in my opinion was second to none, his attention to detail in regards to providing everything a wanting CCR dive (and the odd O/C head) could hope to need was available in abundence.

His logistics in organising our boats so each boatload could virtually choose where they wanted to dive on a daily basis instead of being hand held by a dive company - as I'm sure some of us have been acustomed to- was refreshing and exciting to say the least.

The good humor that was present during the trip was fantastic, this was backed on a serious side knowing that we had a world class dive Doc on site in Dr. Simon Mitchell with us taking a fully stocked medical kit out on the boat...All the boats in our party were linked via radio so if there was an incident our Dr. could act quickly, this was extremely comforting to know we had such acute backup on hand.
    Thankfully Simon had a resonalble time to enjoy his diving as there were no major diving incidents on the trip and everyone went home with all their bits still attached and a smile on their dial..

Pete even went so far as to pre arrange the rooms so as his party got the best rooms at the resort reserved prior to our arrival.

For me after 22 years of diving the workd this easily goes down as my best away trip so far!!

I said one would need to "Do Truk" at leas once in their life....Unfortunately I feel I will need to return now year after year to satisfy a new itch I have developed!

I can't praise Pete Mesley high enough...cheers Pete and see you next year.

Mischa Temple

EXPLORER Leigh Bishop is an unknown quantity at this point Leigh Bishop's Avatar

Leigh Bishop TRUK LAGOON "2010" Trip report

Truk Lagoon report 2010 by Leigh Bishop

If you are thinking of going to Truk Lagoon at some stage in your diving lifetime my advice is not to delay it much longer, as now has never been a better time to dive the most famous of Lagoons. Iíve dived a few wrecks around the world but nothing comes close to a good two weeks in Truk. There are so many wrecks to dive a single trip is never enough so I find myself back at Truk airport with my evolution rebreather to meet the man who puts it all together, Pete Mesley. Peteís a serious CCR diver himself, an instructor on the AP units and mad about diving Truk Lagoon which is why he has set it all up so like minded individuals can also enjoy diving there with Pete. For the 2010 trip to Truk we had 22 people coming from different countries around the world. Pete came to EuroTek in 2008 and introduced lots of European divers to the amazing wrecks that are in the Lagoon. As a result many European divers now come to Truk each year with their CCRís and enjoy up to 5 hours a day underwater.
    This year we all went mad over shooting pictures of Plants, last year it was engine rooms, but whatever takes your fancy its all there to see at Truk. I refer to soft coral as plants, well they look like plants to me and if your into Soft Coral Truk offers the best soft coral diving in the world and its 100% untouched. The Japanese divers love it, but for us, well lets just say that on any one dive we still took the wreck diving serious and finished our dives on the higher level of the wrecks where we could finish a 4 gig card off. Dr Simon Mitchell was on this trip and while Simon is a reserved 100m deep wreck diver himself, he was seen to be editing the odd plant shot on his PC thing.

Pete Mesleys shot of a diver on a Plant!
    (Sorry dont have any of my images on line to link to Leigh)

On the last trip UK divers David Wilkins and Des Murray discovered a very well hidden bell on one of the wrecks. This year with the help of the ultra strong Australian diver Micha Temple it was pulled out after not being seen since the US airstrikes back in Feb 1944 and we all had a chance to shoot some images. Last year we discovered a bell on the deep wreck Oite, a Japanese destroyer in 65m depth, sadly we returned this year to show new visitors to the wreck this great artifacts only to discover it has been removed. How sad is this that people have to lower themselves to steel from Truk Lagoon. With this in mind we made sure that our latest discovery wont be so easy for a wannabe Truk bell owner! The other sad thing is we will never know if the bell that was removed from the Oite is that of the wreck itself or that of the Agano. The Agano was sunk by US forces and the Oite picked up the survivors before it went down. Did they remove the ships bell or was it the bell of the ship itself? In 2009 this prize artifacts was discovered inside a locker room with no much access to divers, anyone filming of photographing it could not see if it had a name on it as it required a little movement to muster it around a little so the divers of our trip just left it be.

Gauges inside the engine room of the Reiyo

I still love diving the Fujikawa Maru, its one of the shallow wrecks of Truk but thereís so much to see. The holds of this wreck contain Zero planes with the cockpits easily recognisable and numbers on the wings. The engine room on this wreck is always exciting and as itís so shallow the light that penetrates down from the high sun in the sky above is a sight in itself.

Pete had all the CCR cylinders at Truk for us waiting there so we didnít have to get stung with excess luggage. In fact the divers from Europe this year didnít pay a penny in excess luggage as at last we have discovered the best route to get to Truk. After 3 years of travel we have finally figured it all out and found the best airlines. Eduardo Pavia from Italy had brought along several divers from Rome and they also took the same route as the team from the UK.

This year we dived several of the deep wrecks we are familiar with such as the previously spoke of Japanese destroyer Oite, as well as the Katsuragisan Maru, the San Francisco Maru, Reiyo, Nagano and the Aikoku Maru as well as several others in that deep eastern anchorage. Czech Republic diver laid a plaque to his friend Jayne who lost her life after diving wreck of the Aikoku Maru a few years ago.

Iconic Image of Japanese gas mask on the Fujikawa Maru

But while we dived a lot of the deep wrecks we also had a look at the Hokuyo Maru and the Hannakawa where we discovered human remains as well as the Fujisan Maru. We also dived a couple of wrecks that not even our guide had dived who has been working the lagoon for the last 10 years, this just shows you that many of the target wrecks on these trips are very rarely dived. We were astounded as to why these wrecks are rarely dived as they were fantastic dives in there own right. We dived the Hokuyo Maru on the last day and what a brilliant dive that is. Much of the bridge is still there and even the RDF loop still remains atop of the bridge, which I took the opportunity to shoot a photograph of as Pete Mesley swam past. The engine room of this wreck has been blown out on the Starboard side and the lower level of the engine is not readily accessible to divers unless a more streamlined set up is used. The upper levels of the engine room still has rooms intact over on the port side and here huge sets of block and tackle can been seen hanging from the ceilings. This wasnít the bets engine room experience in Truk but is still worth a visit however one that springs to mind that is just a cracking engine room experience is that of the Rieyo Maru. Thereís lots to see here but it does go deep, at the lower levels of the engine room time will fly by and you will find yourself at depths of approx 65m with some serious decompression penalties building up. Many of the steam gauges down there are readable and the telegraph is very photogenic with the build up of deep red rusticles covering it.

Dr Simon Mitchell coming back on board after a morning dive on a deeper wreck

What about Lion fish then? No one told me they could sting you, like really bad! There was one on the bow of the Katsuragisan Maru so I figured Iíd have a crack at photographing my first ever fish. Thatís right I donít normally do fish and I suppose at a depth of 70m I should have just stuck to the wreck diving. I felt something hit me from behind and thinking it was one of the wrecks resident sharks I turned around to see nothing, as I turned back my hand that was holding the camera system caught the spines of the Lion fish and bang poison was injected into my hand. Now donít let me put you off diving this wreck of Truk as a whole or even photographing fish at 70m but hell did this mother of a sting hurt. Some more advice is if you are going to get stung by one of these fish donít have some 100mins of deco to complete and a 45min boat ride back to shore before you seek medical advice. Ahh and some piss taking Aussies laughing at you as you squirm around the well of the boat! Luckily my mate Dr Simon Mitchell was at hand to help relieve the pain that of course I was used to by now. That was easily the worst decompression I have ever had to go through. My hand had swelled up twice the size in front of me as I watched yelling in pain. Good news is I got a good picture of it before it got me just proving that fish photography is easy and I donít have to do it any more. !

Diver on a Gun aboard the Oite Destroyer

My Lionfish sting was the only real incident we had in Truk but as a good safety measure having a switched on diving doctor out there with you gives great piece of mind. If you are going to Truk and you are not on one of our expeditions seriously give thought about the what ifís because there is little if any decent medical services in Truk. Having said that the chamber system is good and the people who run it are very knowledgeable so bear that in mind. On any of Peteís expeditions you will find 1 if not 2 doctors as part of the team. Pete by the way is based in Auckland New Zealand but donít be fooled by his accent, he originates from where the 2010 world cup was staged!

watching films during decompression

A typical day in Truk means that at 6.30 its dark and most people are gathering by the outside straw roofed bar. Its here that everyone gathers every night and shares a Japanese beer or two as well as wreck diving tales from around the world.
    On average I personally spent 4-5 hours per day underwater on a wreck! With that I shot an average of 3 gig of images per dive, that two decent dives a day, one deepish wreck in the morning and a shallow one in the afternoon. Of course if you want to dive shallow wrecks right through your trip, thatís just what you can do. With over 60 wrecks out there any divers has plenty to choose from. Next year our guides have some stuff up their sleeves (not that they have any) that no one has been to in years if at all, now that sounds interesting.

During my stay in Truk I managed to nail down Pete Mesley for an interview for a future Eurotek podcast. Keep an eye out on the Eurotek website for that download to see what Pete has to say. Eurotek advanced diving conference

Last edited by Leigh Bishop; 13th July 2010 at 13:31. Reason: missed out links to images
    Leigh Bishop
    co organiser EuroTek Tek diving show
    www.eurotek.uk.com & www.eurotekpodcasts.com
    Shipwreck Exploration
    www.deepimage.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread