+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Activating the sorb on a CCR Bail out Rebreather

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Re: Activating the sorb on a CCR Bail out Rebreather

Quote Originally Posted by paulraymaekers  View Original Post
    no, did not yet test an immediate cold start deeper then 40..
    will do that later, but my machine only goes till 100m :-(

but from my experience in testing sorb till 80m, it looks like there is a huge difference between 'high performance' and 'low performance' sorb

my 'expectation' is that, say for temp > 10°, a decent scrubber with >2.5kg high performance sorb, will start from the first breath at 100m depth, even at higher CO² production

paul

Thanks.

Ill keep airing on the side of caution then. No harm running semiclosed for a bit assuming of course your able to if over ventilating

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    (Had this random idea a few months ago but forgot about it till reading this thread)

Now take this with a pinch of salt because its complete nonsense and would require a whole new unit of some sort from sratch.

So- deep divers want Bail out rebreather rather than bail out tanks understandable but as many have observed, difficult to bring the BO Rebreather to the point in the dive where its needed and uncertainty of its function when needed.

Thinking back to OC, diving a rebreather is like diving on a single tank, diving a rebreather with bailout a bailout rebreather is like diving a Single tank with a Pony bottle (questionable use in emergancy) what is needed for you deep nutters it a rebreather configuration like a Manifolded Twin Tank rig.

Two rebreathers, that you dive from the surface, both working, tested, and functional at all times throughout the dive with independance but for the shared loop gas and then should one fail an Isolation Valve can be turned and the pair seperated (ala- OC Shutdown drill) and the diver stays on the working unit.

Yes- loop flood comprises both... or does it, most recent units and flood tolerant/clearable and once isolated the working/non-leaky side can be cleared and used while the other side is left to cocktail itself.

Clearly miles away mechanically and SOP wise from what we do right now but maybe an idea for someone with time to kill? (Paul- your unit already has two scrubbers, perhaps your well placed to do abit of plumbing and see if this would work- could you suddenly switch to one scrubber and live to tell the tale?)

Just an idea...
    i designed a twin rb mouthpiece - but it is necessarily huge. In the end total independance has to be safer.

trick is to keep it tidy, clutter kills as does drag

i butt mounted mine so as to minimise drag plus it frees up my sides so i dont loose any real estate (for stages) rear mounted lungs very short dsv hoses keeps dsv tucked under the chin out the way
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jcook  View Original Post
    I think Bill Stone had built some of his CIS Lunars MK-5's into double units for the Wakulla Springs surveys. From what I heard, each scrubber could be used in either loop. Someone chime in if I am wrong on this one.

But my original question was just one of a completely stand alone BOB, that other stuff sounds way too expensive.

take a look at rick stantons sidemount rb. i think this is the sort of thing your talking about

RBW Master Plumber lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Meg,Prizm,RB80,LARV,MK15,HomeB

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    i designed a twin Rebreather mouthpiece - but it is necessarily huge. In the end total independance has to be safer.
    We built a Dual BOV about three years ago, but as Mike says it is too big.
    http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=10828

I prefer two independent loops with small BOVs
    Attached Images

RBW Member BlueLabelDiving is an unknown quantity at this point BlueLabelDiving's Avatar
    Meg, Inspo, homebuilt

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    Take your scrubber out, breath off it for 5 minutes while you are walking down to the waters edge with your bailout tanks and let me know how things go.
    Nice one Dave, you forgot to mention posting footage for our entertainment

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLabelDiving  View Original Post
    Nice one Dave, you forgot to mention posting footage for our entertainment
    I tried to but I keep dropping the camera for some reason.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

New Member wARNY jIM is an unknown quantity at this point wARNY jIM's Avatar

I think what Ben Field mention was for the 2 rebreathers to be connected so they are 2 parallel loops with some kind of an isolation system.
    I remember reading about this kind of setup built by a french guy ( his name is B. Giai Checa). I think he was developing this with aqualung at the time.

Jim
    Last edited by wARNY jIM; 22nd November 2010 at 19:52.

Rebreather numpty aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord's Avatar
    APD Evo+

So, to summarise, looking back to the original question and a very few of the follow-ups:
    1. Q: How do you activate the sorb in a BOB? A: just breathe it, coz activation is instant. Otherwise surely we would need a machine to pre-breathe our rigs on the surface!
    2. Q: So why are we taught to prebreathe for 5 mins? A: to test that all is OK with the rig, in a safe place where it's OK to fall over unconscious, before we go to an unsafe watery place.
    3. Q: But will a 5 minute pre-breathe find every possible fault in the rig? A: No, it will find some, including some assembly problems, and failure to insert the scrubber (it happens).
    4. Q: So if 5 minutes is not enough, how long would you need to pre-breathe in order to be assured that all is OK with the rig? A: er, there is no A in this thread to this Q!
    Last edited by aplord; 22nd November 2010 at 22:28.

RBW Member kopaz is on a distinguished road kopaz is on a distinguished road kopaz's Avatar
    rEvo II

Quote Originally Posted by aplord  View Original Post
    • Q: So if 5 minutes is not enough, how long would you need to pre-breathe in order to be assured that all is OK with the rig? A: er, there is no A in this thread to this Q!
    A: You can never be completely sure. You just accept the risk at some point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast