+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Activating the sorb on a CCR Bail out Rebreather

Doing What Works jcook is an unknown quantity at this point jcook's Avatar
    Sidemount Meg

Activating the sorb on a CCR Bail out Rebreather

All the guys who use CCR bail out breathers,

How do you get the sorb activated in the canister besides constantly swapping between loops every few min? (way too much task loading if you ask me, and just asking for an accident) Do you run it as an SCR for a few min while the sorb activates and then run it as a CCR after that?

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Re: Activating the sorb on a CCR Bail out Rebreather

Quote Originally Posted by jcook  View Original Post
    All the guys who use CCR bail out breathers,

How do you get the sorb activated in the canister besides constantly swapping between loops every few min? (way too much task loading if you ask me, and just asking for an accident) Do you run it as an SCR for a few min while the sorb activates and then run it as a CCR after that?
    if the temperature of the water is not extremely low, high performance sorb is active from the very first breath

paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

RBW Member DeepB is an unknown quantity at this point DeepB's Avatar
    KISS Classic

so why do we all learn to prebreathe at least 5 minutes?

regards
    DeepB

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by DeepB  View Original Post

regards
    DeepB
    To ensure that the rebreather is actually working. Believe or not divers have actually forgot to install scrubber before a dive. It also identifies problems with mushroom valves etc. If the scrubber took 5 minutes to activate we would all be diving with massive headaches
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

It's Hammertime! Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Megalodon, Inspiration

regards
    DeepB
    To test the entire unit for potential leaks, CO2 bypasses, set point controllers, solenoids, valves etc. Simply to make sure the unit will keep you alive, not just sorb.
    Hammerhead CCR Instructor
    Hammerhead Repair Facility
    Golem Gear Dealer
    www.silentthrill.com

RBW Member rohan will become famous soon enough rohan will become famous soon enough rohan will become famous soon enough rohan's Avatar

Better to pass out on a boat than at depth. It is not just the sorb being tested, it is the whole unit. The 5 minute pre breathe is being taught for that reason. I have had battery warnings and sensor warnings during that last minute of a pre-breathe even when I set the unit up and it was fine half an hour earlier. CCRs, like a wild animal - bite you on the arse when you least expect it

RBW Member DeepB is an unknown quantity at this point DeepB's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Pawel Szopinski  View Original Post
    To test the entire unit for potential leaks,
    i do the pos/neg check for that

CO2 bypasses,
    you dont really think that you will detect a CO2 bypass by prebreathing 5min not stressed at the surface?
    set point controllers, solenoids,
    diving mccr, so i dont do that either way.
    valves etc. Simply to make sure the unit will keep you alive, not just sorb.
    for this i do not need 5 min.
    check if O2 sensors, constant add, manual add, etc working takes me less than a minute.

i might this way due to my "newbie" factor, but i dont see the point in sitting there 5 minutes. nevertheless i do it, because i learned it and there are some factors i maybe did not take into considerations, and i do not consider myself experienced enough to change routines.

sorry for taking this thread OT.

regards
    DeepB

RBW Member rohan will become famous soon enough rohan will become famous soon enough rohan will become famous soon enough rohan's Avatar

I don't know about you, but it takes me at least five minutes to do up my harness, attach stages, put on my gloves and usually I am drifting so I have to wait for the drop point. All this time it is easy to have the loop in my mouth while I kit up. Standard OP for me.

As for newbies, why only newbies? You too "experienced" for that? My eyes roll at what some people practice and maybe not their fault, the way they are taught.

At the end of the day, your life, up to you.

Wannabe...diven sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit is a jewel in the rough sea2summit's Avatar
    the best oNe

i might this way due to my "newbie" factor, but i dont see the point in sitting there 5 minutes. nevertheless i do it, because i learned it
    This is one reason I don't like checklists. If you learned it what exactly did you learn other than "pre breath for 5 minutes"? Just because we do something A, B, C doesn't mean we shouldn't know why A, B, C and not C, A, B.

And yes I'm sure 5 min of pre breath at the surface is more than enough time for CO2 issues to manifest themselves.

Good point. Obviously being taught to pre breathe for 5 minutes is standrad OP but do these instructors give the real reason why to do it? I have heard holiday instructors say "You pre breathe the unit for 5 mintues so as the sorb is warm and working" (and we are in the Red Sea!). I then wait for more and it doesn't come. So obviously this instructor is a poor one and does not know why. Modern sorb does not need pre breathing as someone else said and the instructor does not know why in reality you pre breathe. These poor teaching methods are the problem. If these instructors had the proper knowledge base and experience, we wouldn't get these questions asked on these forums.

Seek out full time working instructors, not weekend part timers!