+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Extraordinary Osprey Reef

Megman armed with DeepRed opimoby is on a distinguished road opimoby is on a distinguished road opimoby's Avatar
    Cave Megalodon ,Shearwater

Extraordinary Osprey Reef

A scientific / rebreather diving expedition was recently completed off Australia's North east coast in the Coral Sea at the famed location of Osprey Reef. The University of Queensland's team of scientists and our rebreather film team chartered Undersea Explorer to do some exploratory dives off the deep drop offs at Osprey Reef a remote undersea mountain which rises up from the deep Pacific ocean from a depth of over 2000 meters. Lance Robb completed some deep dives using his Meg on the vertical walls which surround the reef and reached a depth of 156 meters to bring back video footage and rock samples for the scientists and myself. I am doing a film on the area with my Red One and Meg and acted as support diver for Lance. We hope to organise more trips in the future to this amazing location.

First image- Lance Robb using Meg on his 156 meter exploratory deep dive.
    Second image- Ross Isaacs using Meg and Deep Red.
    Third image- Filming grey reef sharks at North Horn.
    Forth image- Ross (on Meg) & Lance (monkey dive) ready to shoot a scene for film.
    (photos by Lance Robb/Ross Isaacs)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by opimoby; 25th June 2010 at 00:13.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Re: Extraordinary Osprey Reef

Thanks for the post/info! Congratulations on a successful expedition. I have been to Eastern Fields and Portlock, top notch diving. Nice to see so many sharks in that picture. I hope to visit Osprey reef some day soon.

Did Lance or anybody observe any significant/interesting marine life from 70 -150 m? -Andy

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Hi Andy,

Osprey Reef is an amazing place and one very few ever get the opportunity to visit. The majority of diving has only ever been done in the surface to 40m range and very little is known about it any deeper. Osprey Reef is in the middle of the Coral Sea in water as deep as 2000m with sheer walls and is spectacular!!!

ospreyrfcr.jpg

The purpose of the deep dives was to collect coral samples at the 150m mark and to video the wall for the scientists to analyze.

I did collect some samples and took HD video of the dives from descending back up to 50m.

I was quite surprised to come across a Coral Trout at 100m and also a Potato Cod at 150m. It was quite dark but I had plenty of light with 2 TillyTec LED2000 Video lights which lit up some very colorful soft corals.

All the time I had sharks circling around, Oceanic Silver Tips and Bronze Whalers mostly.

Deep Dive Shark.jpg

We are planning another trip later in the year and plan more deep dives to continue the research.

Regards,

Lance

RBW Member jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat's Avatar
    rEvo 3 MICRO FT

rEvo 3 Standard HCCR, MEG 2.01

Awesome ! pls post a note where to view the video -- if you publish or post the video. Dove this site in 2006, but on OC at recreational limits. Just amazing to me. Can not wait to see your work if published/posted..

Congrats on a successful expedition !!

John

Megman armed with DeepRed opimoby is on a distinguished road opimoby is on a distinguished road opimoby's Avatar

Hey John
    will let you know for sure.
    cheers
    Ross

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer4545  View Original Post
    Hi Andy,

Osprey Reef is an amazing place and one very few ever get the opportunity to visit. The majority of diving has only ever been done in the surface to 40m range and very little is known about it any deeper. Osprey Reef is in the middle of the Coral Sea in water as deep as 2000m with sheer walls and is spectacular!!!

Attachment 19902

The purpose of the deep dives was to collect coral samples at the 150m mark and to video the wall for the scientists to analyze.

I did collect some samples and took HD video of the dives from descending back up to 50m.

I was quite surprised to come across a Coral Trout at 100m and also a Potato Cod at 150m. It was quite dark but I had plenty of light with 2 TillyTec LED2000 Video lights which lit up some very colorful soft corals.

All the time I had sharks circling around, Oceanic Silver Tips and Bronze Whalers mostly.

Attachment 19901

We are planning another trip later in the year and plan more deep dives to continue the research.

Regards,

Lance

Hi Lance, I love looking at the steep drop offs on that chart, really gets the imagination going, you can tell the diving is fantastic.

That's nice that you had some company down there in the depths. In my own limited experience with deeper diving, it seems that fish life starts to thin out around 70m, though in Indonesia I once saw a very large Queensland grouper at 100m.

Who are you collecting the coral samples for? -Andy

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Looks like an incredible dive location.

Please post where we can watch your video when completed

Sic Semper Tyrannis NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    Looks like an incredible dive location.

Please post where we can watch your video when completed
    X2, thanks for the pics and can't wait for the video!

Hi
    I am producing a documentary film for broadcast on this subject which will also be available on DVD/blu-ray at a later date once complete. Thanks everyone for your interest.
    regards
    Ross Isaacs

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by opimoby  View Original Post
    Hi
    I am producing a documentary film for broadcast on this subject
    Oh are you now

Nice work Red Leader.

Regards,

Lance