+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Turks and Caicos RB Diving

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Turks and Caicos RB Diving

OK boys and girls, I have some promising news to report. I'll be heading back to provo for some R&R as well as diving with my family and have just been in contact with a Guy named Joe at TCI Gas. He does medical grade O2 fills for about $20 so I'm taking my rig this time and will report back how it goes.

Also, I'll be diving with Fifi and Donna of Caicos Adventures and I mentined I'd be doing a write-up about my trip on this forum in the hopes that we can get others to come out to TCI for RB diving, they are anxious to chat.

So at the end of July I'll report back but this is great news since the last time I was over on the island...

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Re: Turks and Caicos RB Diving

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    OK boys and girls, I have some promising news to report. I'll be heading back to provo for some R&R as well as diving with my family and have just been in contact with a Guy named Joe at TCI Gas. He does medical grade O2 fills for about $20 so I'm taking my rig this time and will report back how it goes.

Also, I'll be diving with Fifi and Donna of Caicos Adventures and I mentined I'd be doing a write-up about my trip on this forum in the hopes that we can get others to come out to TCI for Rebreather diving, they are anxious to chat.

So at the end of July I'll report back but this is great news since the last time I was over on the island...
    Excellent news! Hope you have a great trip. I spent 2 weeks with my CCR there a few years ago, and had some amazing dives! Please let us know how it goes!

Regards,
    Randy

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

TC is awesome for diving. #2 spot in the world for me. I eagerly await your report.

New Member jmark18 is an unknown quantity at this point jmark18's Avatar
    Sport Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post

Also, I'll be diving with Fifi and Donna of Caicos Adventures and I mentined I'd be doing a write-up about my trip on this forum in the hopes that we can get others to come out to TCI for Rebreather diving, they are anxious to chat.

When are you there? I am planning either Grand Caymen or TCI last week of July and would love to take my rebreather to Provo.Please PM me as I am very interested.

Jeff

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Hi,
    Any news? I'm looking to go there soon and wonder how good are dives and RB support there.

Nad

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Just returned and the recent tropical depression that threatened the Gulf last week blew through TCI a few days prior to my arrival. So, visibility wasn't typical TCI but the water was warm (85F on average at 100' plus) and the sealife was abound (reef sharks, turtles ect seen on every dive at West Caicos).

Now, O2 was an adventure to get. Joe at TC Gas (649-242-9094) has a great setup for filling K cyclinders. However, the 6 P's being what they are, I neglected to ask him what ADAPTER he'd need to fill my tanks. Knowing that he wouldn't have the G3/4 female end, I brought my fill adapter. What I wasn't prepared for was that the whip end he despenses from is a MALE CGA540 so, bring a FEMALE CGA540 adapter to whatever your valve end on your tank and your in like Flynn.

So you say, what did you do? I told Fifi, owner of Caicos Adventures, about my delima and he made a few calls for me. It seems that one of the original owners of O2Technical (now out of business) is still on Provo and has access to 100% O2 (99.5% purity as tested on my POS oxycheq O2 Analyzer-more on that later) so he got it filled for me. Mind you, I only took my LAR so it was 2L and worked perfect for "snorkeling" on reefs around our house.

Back to the O2 analyzer, I'm not a fan of this model. On the boat I dove 32% OC for 4 days (2 tanks/day). The expedition CONSISTANLY read 2% higher after it was calibrated to 20.9 than the fill station and the boat's analyzer-huuuuuuuuuum. Not a big deal as I'd rather have it read high to be a little more conservative but after spending $200 plus for this POS, it should be spot-on. It will be posted for sale on ebay soon. I digress...

So, if you are planning to go, dive OC. It will be easier to travel with, all the boats you will be on will limit your BT per dive to 1 hour max (based on consumption of the other divers) unless you charter (which Caicos Adventures will do), and dive 32%. If you are hell-bent on diving CC than it's possible. You'll have to take your own sorb and all your kit. You can get 100% on the island, either BWO of Joe if you bring the adapters you need or possibly through Fifi. If you do go, go out with Fifi and his crew, it's by far the best operation on the island hands-down. Stay away from Provo Turtle Divers and Dive Provo, these outfits cater to newbies and are over priced for what you get in my opinion. Fifi's Bauer fill station is brand new and state-of-the art as well as his NITROX fill station.

I'll be posting pictures to my dive-blog later this week. You should have seen the looks I got when I finished my LAR dive and popped up between a bunch of fine birds in bikinis! If I wasn't married I could have had a wild night with them down a Danny Bouys for sure... something about being a navy seal...
    Last edited by whynot?; 1st August 2010 at 14:25.

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

It's a shame that a destination so fine and so close to the continental US lacks in CCR support. IMHO T&C reefs are so much better than anything else I've seen in the carribeans & Mexico, it's a missed opportunity really.

But I guess no one went to T&C for tech diving and O2 had to close.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by edasque  View Original Post
    It's a shame that a destination so fine and so close to the continental US lacks in CCR support. IMHO T&C reefs are so much better than anything else I've seen in the carribeans & Mexico, it's a missed opportunity really.

But I guess no one went to T&C for tech diving and O2 had to close.

Hello edasque, I think you are correct in what you say. TCI has better diving than most anywhere in that hemisphere. Belize's outer atolls are a close second. I did a trip to TCI back in 98', 00' and 03' and the diving was excellent, even more so on CCR in O3' than on SCR on the 00' trip. Fish life was prollific and the food chain was very much in tact. Saw hammerheads, silkies, grey reefs and lemon sharks. I used O2 tech in 03' and thought they were a very good if somewhat expensive outfit. The problem as I see it is that most tech/CCR divers are still wreck divers and not likely to go somewhere just for wildlife. I bet the place would still be there if there were as many wrecks in TCI as there are in Bermuda.

However, if one wanted to dive CCR, it ought to be perfectly doable and may not be too expensive if one could get a group of say, 4 CCR divers together. That way, you can probaly find a dive operator who would put you all on the same small boat without any OC people and sourcing the O2 could be cheaper by staging a large cylinder at the shop. That's what I do when I go to remote parts of the Pacific-get a small group together. No reason I can think of why it wouldn't work in TCI... -Andy
    Last edited by silent running; 2nd August 2010 at 04:09.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Thanks for all the information. My brother was there last year on OC. I would like to go there myself for the first time.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Ok, I'm reviving this thread because I'm headed to Provo in March. I bought a KISS GEM primarily for travel purposes, so if I can get the training done before then I plan to dive it instead of lugging the CCR.

Is Caicos Adventures still the recommended operation? I might be going with some OC buddies, but everyone is pretty advanced if not technical. Don't want a cattle boat full of guppies.

Anyone been there lately with an update?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast