+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm ready

RBW Member FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

I'm ready

Hello all & thanks for all of the info that's being posted for us who are just beginning.

Been diving OC twins for 5-6yrs (with deco) on the wrecks off Jersey . . . and loving it. As life turns, I'll be moving to an area where diving isn't optimum and in order to get my fix, I'll need to be traveling to dive. Since my twins don't travel by air so well, I'm ready to make the turn to Rebreather. Just as true is that I'm a bit weary of climbing the ladder (even in calm seas) with doubles.

So for my 1st questions: What make units travel best, yet still meet my needs for Jersey type diving? Also for those who travel with their RB's, how do you do it? In other words, valves have to come off the cylinders so when you get to your destination do you need to have them VIP'd at the destination?

Thanks

Franco

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Re: I'm ready

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoC  View Original Post
    Hello all & thanks for all of the info that's being posted for us who are just beginning.

Been diving OC twins for 5-6yrs (with deco) on the wrecks off Jersey . . . and loving it. As life turns, I'll be moving to an area where diving isn't optimum and in order to get my fix, I'll need to be traveling to dive. Since my twins don't travel by air so well, I'm ready to make the turn to Rebreather. Just as true is that I'm a bit weary of climbing the ladder (even in calm seas) with doubles.

So for my 1st questions: What make units travel best, yet still meet my needs for Jersey type diving? Also for those who travel with their Rebreather's, how do you do it? In other words, valves have to come off the cylinders so when you get to your destination do you need to have them VIP'd at the destination?

Thanks

Franco

Franco,

You're going to get lots of opinions on here - as a Manufacturer, I certainly have my own biases - but you should take a good look at the Hammerhead.

We have any number of end-users and instructors in your area who could show the rig off to you if you'd like.

Our website: www.rebreather.us

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.

Sorta New Member w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

...What make units travel best, yet still meet my needs for Jersey type diving?
    Franco
    Franco,

Just a suggestion but you might first look for the unit that best fits you and the type of diving you do. That, alone, is a bewildering task for most of us when starting out.

Talk to the Rebreather divers on the boats, visit Rebreather demonstrations, and search the RBW forums. Then, as you zero in on that or those units that appear to fit your diving needs, you might find refining your search a little easier, say in terms of travel.

Don't be surprised that when you are comfortable diving your RB that you will be able to rent RBs at a lot of dive destinations, just like you can now for OC gear. It's a trend that seems to be growing.

BTW, I have heard that Kevin makes a good unit.

Good luck and let us know which direction you go.
    Bill Ripley

Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

I've owned and traveled with an Evolution, Meg and a rEvo. At first I went way out of my way to be super careful when packing them, over time i've eased up a bit. If it's possible, most folks seem to carry on the "head" (electronics) since they are the most delicate part. All of them can be traveled with, some require being checked some can be carried on with everything but tanks. Some destinations are beginning to offer rental dill, o2 and bail out tanks. If you have to travel with tanks, you have to take the valves off, leave the tanks open, not even put tape over them if you want them to get past customs for sure. Then you end up with a potentially contaminated tank at your destination and need to be willing to clean them... not a big deal. We've even traveled with bail out tanks on planes... before you know it, you are traveling with a lot of gear and your trip is obsessively focused on diving. If you are OK with that idea then great. The weighting of bags becomes an art. We've flown to Indonesia with over a thousand pounds of gear with only a $70 overage fee.

Sourcing O2 is the next big challenge, but luckily o2 is used all over the world in hospitals and can often be sourced relatively cheap. Sourcing trimix or blending your self is more difficult but often doable. getting a good analyzer like the Divesoft is key, so you always know what you are breathing, as you often end up sourcing from somewhere other than a dive store. We take trans fill whips to do the fills, some folks travel with booster pumps that can be run on an Al 80 for drive gas.

Welcome to a wondrous world of challenges and amazing experiences!

remember, the search function is your friend, there is a lot of valuable information in the archives!!

george

Gill Envy

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

great you are thinking about getting a rebreather..
    I have just started with it shortly ago and I am loving it.
    I also already travelled with my Inspiration and its doable but somewhat of a hassle.

As happy as I am with CCR diving as much I can suggest it to other divers, but I think you are coming from the wrong motivation.
    For sure it is easier to organise a twin and stages at your travel destination and take along your regular OC equipment than buying a Rebbie to travel with it, because wou will still need stuff..

What ever you choose to do..
    Have fun diving..

BTW: Talking about Kevins breather.. If someone wants to sell a sole Hammerhead fitting to the Inspo I'd be interested in having a look at it

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius  View Original Post
    great you are thinking about getting a rebreather..
    I have just started with it shortly ago and I am loving it.
    I also already travelled with my Inspiration and its doable but somewhat of a hassle.

As happy as I am with CCR diving as much I can suggest it to other divers, but I think you are coming from the wrong motivation.
    For sure it is easier to organise a twin and stages at your travel destination and take along your regular OC equipment than buying a Rebbie to travel with it, because wou will still need stuff..

What ever you choose to do..
    Have fun diving..

BTW: Talking about Kevins breather.. If someone wants to sell a sole Hammerhead fitting to the Inspo I'd be interested in having a look at it

Hey Nitro,

We make a Hammerhead for Inspiration, which just bolts-on.

Send us an e-mail and we'll build one up for you.

All the best,

Kevin.

RBW Member FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

but I think you are coming from the wrong motivation.
    What motivate's people is purely subjective and what might seem wrong to
    you seems ok to me (imo), but you might have a different opinion and that's ok with me.

Ripley- thanks for the "look for the unit that fits you" observation. I'm looking in that direction, but should probably focus more on that end.

George, thanks also for your post. Now you have me thinkn' hmmmm. Didn't think of some of the issues that you presented.

Franco

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

George, thanks also for your post. Now you have me thinkn' hmmmm. Didn't think of some of the issues that you presented.
    These issues I meant with my coming from the wrong motivation.. Maybe I phrased it wrong. I guess what I was trying to say is that a rebreather in most cases is making travel arrangements not easier but the opposite

Kevin, thanks for the offer.. I was quite aware about this option ..
    I was more looking to a 2nd hand head only for budgetary reasons..
    Out of interest though could you PM me the price for a new one ?

King of the Geeks
    HAMMERHEAD!

These issues I meant with my coming from the wrong motivation.. Maybe I phrased it wrong. I guess what I was trying to say is that a rebreather in most cases is making travel arrangements not easier but the opposite

Kevin, thanks for the offer.. I was quite aware about this option ..
    I was more looking to a 2nd hand head only for budgetary reasons..
    Out of interest though could you PM me the price for a new one ?
    Hey Nitro,

A new HH for Inspo runs $3,295.

We have a slightly used Demo unit which we are selling for $2,295 if anyone is interested.

Kevin.

rEvo III mini

Thanks for the clarification! Still going to continue down this path.

Franco