+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D100 focus problem

Jakob Selbing jaksel will become famous soon enough jaksel will become famous soon enough jaksel will become famous soon enough jaksel's Avatar
    AP Evolution+

Nikon D100 focus problem

Hello, fellow photographers!

I bought a Nikon D100 with Sea&Sea housing in February this year, and I've used it on a couple of dives now. The lens I use is a Tokina 10-17 mm, and I have, of course, a dome port on my housing. Initially I had a problem with the shutter release lever not springing back fully at depth, but other than that it has worked pretty good.

But on the last couple of dives, the camera produced only photos that are completely out of focus! This is strange because normally when autofocus fails, the shutter should not be released at all.

I double-checked that focus mode is AF-S both during the dive and also in the image file metadata. I also did some test photos on the boat before the dive and took some photos on my deco; in both cases the photos turned out correctly focused. But all photos (from this dive) at depth are out of focus.

Looking at the blurry photos, I cannot determine what distance the focus is set to. Neither particles close to the lens nor distant HID lights look sharp. It perhaps indicates that the lens focus is actually set to infinity (in which case nothing in the photos can turn out sharp since the dome port shifts the virtual image closer to the camera than infinity).

Anyone else had this problem?

Jakob Selbing jaksel will become famous soon enough jaksel will become famous soon enough jaksel will become famous soon enough jaksel's Avatar
    AP Evolution+

Re: Nikon D100 focus problem

Some of you might demand sample photos, so here you go...

0007 - before dive
    0067 - during dive (at 45 m)
    0068 - during dive (at 6 m)
    0075 - next dive (at 40 m), for some reason the focus is now correct but visibility was terrible (< 1 m)!
    Attached Images

RBW Member josie_ger is an unknown quantity at this point josie_ger's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Inspiration Vision (for sale)

Hi,
    are you using a focus light?
    Maybe the camera has problems to focus in low light conditions.

Regards
    Joern

AP Evolution+

Quote Originally Posted by josie_ger  View Original Post
    Hi,
    are you using a focus light?
    Maybe the camera has problems to focus in low light conditions.

Regards
    Joern
    No, I have no focus light. I try to use my dive buddy's light for focusing, and occasionally I use my own handheld torch.

saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas has a brilliant future saveourseas's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Prism, Prism2

Ray, Dolphin, Mk15

Does your S&S housing have a focus control lever (Focus: C S M)? That would be my only guess if you have correct or changeable focus in water before descent.
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Winston Churchill
    A is A

AP Evolution+

Quote Originally Posted by saveourseas  View Original Post
    Does your S&S housing have a focus control lever (Focus: C S M)? That would be my only guess if you have correct or changeable focus in water before descent.
    Yes, it does. But as I wrote, I double-checked the focus mode both during dive and in the image file metadata (which says AF-S).

RBW Member Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen's Avatar

Is the lens from the dome distance correct?

The distance from the lens to the dome must be correct, if not it will not focus.

I would contact the manufacturer and ask them with the lens your using....

RBW Member diverchris is an unknown quantity at this point diverchris's Avatar
    Inspiration with Vision

Hi I have a D100 in an Aquatica housing and I have experienced the same problem. I resolved the problem by increasing the shutter speed to at least 1/125s

Looking at my old Sea & sea housing for the F-100, it has the focus locking lever. Maybe your housing for D100 has the same?
    Check that it did not get stuck om, by trapping a bit of dirt behind it.
    Or possibly that the lever did not get bent, so when the waterpressure forces the two half housing together by squiching the main o-ring, the focus lock activates (it happened to me once)

If focus lock is activated, the camera vill fire, regardless of focus status. Metadata would not indicate anything.

AP Evolution+

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Bowen  View Original Post
    Is the lens from the dome distance correct?

The distance from the lens to the dome must be correct, if not it will not focus.

I would contact the manufacturer and ask them with the lens your using....
    I think it is correct. I use an extension ring that came with the camera when I bought it. The seller said the ring was required for the Tokina lens (but actually he did not use it himself).

Quote Originally Posted by diverchris  View Original Post
    Hi I have a D100 in an Aquatica housing and I have experienced the same problem. I resolved the problem by increasing the shutter speed to at least 1/125s
    That sounds odd, but I could see if it works next time I have this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Christensen  View Original Post
    Looking at my old Sea & sea housing for the F-100, it has the focus locking lever. Maybe your housing for D100 has the same?
    Check that it did not get stuck om, by trapping a bit of dirt behind it.
    Or possibly that the lever did not get bent, so when the waterpressure forces the two half housing together by squiching the main o-ring, the focus lock activates (it happened to me once)

If focus lock is activated, the camera vill fire, regardless of focus status. Metadata would not indicate anything.
    Yes, it has a focus lock lever. I did consider this possibility, especially since I had problems with the shutter release lever initially. It is quite possible that the focus lock lever does the same thing. I don't understand why Sea&Sea insisted on such weak springs...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast