+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Let's Build a PO2 Monitor / Setpoint Controller For a Homebuild mCCR

RBW Member Bottom Dollar Diver is an unknown quantity at this point Bottom Dollar Diver's Avatar
    Classic Inspiration

Re: Let's Build a PO2 Monitor / Setpoint Controller For a Homebuild mCCR

Hi All,
    I just discovered your conversation about DIY controllers. Very interesting to me. I am also building my own controller to replace my dying Classic Inspiration controller. Before buying an aftermarket system, I decided to have some fun and do it myself.

My unit exists in breadboard / perfboard status right now. It is entirely analog. No digital circuitry or software. It will have the same performance as the Classic Inspiration controller minus the auto-calibration mode.

One reason why I need a new controller is the very dim LCD readout on my original unit. The backlight is very poor. I found that I spent too much time staring at the numbers trying to focus my eyes and no time enjoying the dive. So, my new controller will have bright easy to see LEDs and a multi colored readout.

Has anyone built an analog controller lately? If anyone is interested, I can provide some details of my design ideas so far.

Regards,

Mark Thompson

RBW Member moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund's Avatar
    Oxygen Rebreather

RG/U-FM mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Bottom Dollar Diver  View Original Post

Has anyone built an analog controller lately? If anyone is interested, I can provide some details of my design ideas so far.

Regards,

Mark Thompson
    That is certainly not a direction many will take, but will be interesting to many (myself included) nonetheless.

Why not start a new thread on it and document your progress as Darlene did here?

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bottom Dollar Diver  View Original Post
    Hi All,
    I just discovered your conversation about DIY controllers. Very interesting to me. I am also building my own controller to replace my dying Classic Inspiration controller. Before buying an aftermarket system, I decided to have some fun and do it myself.

My unit exists in breadboard / perfboard status right now. It is entirely analog. No digital circuitry or software. It will have the same performance as the Classic Inspiration controller minus the auto-calibration mode.

One reason why I need a new controller is the very dim LCD readout on my original unit. The backlight is very poor. I found that I spent too much time staring at the numbers trying to focus my eyes and no time enjoying the dive. So, my new controller will have bright easy to see LEDs and a multi colored readout.

Regards,

Mark Thompson
    Mark,
    If you're capeable of building youre own electronics, then the Inspo electronics are not difficult to de-pot and replace the screen on. The screens are a standard part.
    HTH
    Simon A

RBW Member Bottom Dollar Diver is an unknown quantity at this point Bottom Dollar Diver's Avatar
    Classic Inspiration

Thanks Simon,
    I actually have repaired the handsets before. I replaced the handset switch and cleared out corrosion where the wires attach to the potted part, but I didn't want to dig into the potted part. A poor working unit beats none at all! My unit lived a hard life before I bought it and I have also had to repair the buzzer, the battery case, and of course the cell wires and connectors. If you say it is possible to replace the display, I might get brave and try it.

I like the wrist mounted display of the later models of CCR and don't like the two big handsets of the existing system. I also like the idea of warning lights that indicate specific conditions instead of a general buzzer warning.

My new system will have an easy to read display and specific warning lamps for low battery, PO2 too high, PO2 too low, cell voltage disparity, electronic failure, solonoid open, etc. I won't need to rely on the bi-focal lenses in my mask to read the display and figure out why it is buzzing!

To be fair, I really like the Inspiration rebreather.

Regards,
    Mark Thompson

RBW Member mrtom is an unknown quantity at this point mrtom's Avatar
    not yet

This is excellent stuff! Is Scuba Vixen no longer active on this forum? I would love to read more of her stuff. It is very motivating!

RBW Member moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund's Avatar
    Oxygen Rebreather

RG/U-FM mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by mrtom  View Original Post
    This is excellent stuff! Is Scuba Vixen no longer active on this forum? I would love to read more of her stuff. It is very motivating!
    Her last sign on was in 2013.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11