+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: rEVO3 or APD Rebreather

RBW Member ashsg will become famous soon enough ashsg will become famous soon enough ashsg will become famous soon enough ashsg's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

rEVO3 or APD Rebreather

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a rebreather in the next few months and kinda had my heart set on an inspiration vision, but i have been hearing a lot about the rEVO and i'am now re considering my options. As this will be my first CCR i could do with all the advice i can get. Also people i know dive APD units so would i be best to just go for the inspiration? Look forward to hearing your views

RBW Member offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro's Avatar
    rEvo, FGT, Boris

Meg

Re: rEVO3 or APD Rebreather

revo!

RBW Member ashsg will become famous soon enough ashsg will become famous soon enough ashsg will become famous soon enough ashsg's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

Quote Originally Posted by offpro  View Original Post
    revo!
    i need a little bit more than that to part with my cash

Phil Siswick, Tango PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

APD Inspiration, Evolution

What a lovely situation to be in - choosing between units. I remember it well

I'd suggest that you also add the JJ into your considerations - Welcome to JJ-CCR Rebreather. I'm a former Inspo Vision diver who changed over earlier this year. The reasons were - BMCL, weight and generally the form factor of the unit.

In summary, I really liked my Inspo (and later Evo), but I love my JJ!

There are a few good and recent threads on the rEvo, JJ and Inspo, with comparisons, on here. A search should pull them out.

Enjoy the search.

Phil

Inspiration Classic

Quote Originally Posted by PhilSiswick  View Original Post
    What a lovely situation to be in - choosing between units. I remember it well

I'd suggest that you also add the JJ into your considerations - Welcome to JJ-CCR Rebreather. I'm a former Inspo Vision diver who changed over earlier this year. The reasons were - BMCL, weight and generally the form factor of the unit.

In summary, I really liked my Inspo (and later Evo), but I love my JJ!

There are a few good and recent threads on the rEvo, JJ and Inspo, with comparisons, on here. A search should pull them out.

Enjoy the search.

Phil
    Cheers i will have a look at them

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

The rEvo is easier to dive, has a more flexible scrubber design and offers better redundancy in the electronics than the AP but it doesn't have a temp stick and it doesn't have flood recovery.

I prefer the clear front chest on the rEvo but back mounted lungs = limited flood recovery.

rEvo is the easiest CCR to configure and prepair for a dive and is very slightly more flexible on what tanks you can use (but not much)

Personally I think the Hibird rEvo is a bit expensive for what it is if its a new one but the present exchange rate is helping.

I have owned an inspo classic and a rEvo hybrid. Personally id go for the rEvo.

If you insist on a ECCR and feel the ECCR rEvo is too expensive then look at the JJ which offers the Shearwater Predator display and inline deco like the rEvo but is significantly cheaper.

ATB

Mark

Explorers Exodus Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing's Avatar
    rEvo-II

Quote Originally Posted by ashsg  View Original Post
    i need a little bit more than that to part with my cash
    Theres been several threads why you should choose one over the other. First off, since your buddies dive inspo's this weighs in hard.

Small, Less Total weight above water, small, easy to maintain, robust, effecient scrubberuse, BMCL, Dreams, small, low profile, made of steel, mCCR, NOT eCCR. possible Shearwater integration. mCCR version is cheaper. Excelent manufacturer support. Even on this forum.

Inpos has better flood-tolerance, and tempstick - and thats about all I can come up with.....

But seach around, there are plenty of threads on rEvo vs. xxx, and just general listings of its advantages and weak points. If I were you my chioce would be between JJ (BMCL) and rEvo. Not APD and rEvo.

Nicolai

Inspiration Classic

Just had a look at the JJ very interesting unit and good value for money now i'am really confused i'am going to do some more research on the JJ

Phil Siswick, Tango PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

APD Inspiration, Evolution

Just had a look at the JJ very interesting unit and good value for money now i'am really confused i'am going to do some more research on the JJ
    Get in touch with Dave Thompson (Dave_t on here). He does organise try dives now and then.

Beware though - it could be an expensive day. I went for a try dive purely out of interest and ended up buying a unit. Dave is also currently the only Mod 1 instructor for the JJ, I believe.....

Cheers,

Phil

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

confusion is the first sign that the transformation has begun! My wife and I owned evolutions and had some first hand experience on how inconvenient the integrated controllers can be when one of them goes south on a trip... as in dead in the water back to OC for the rest of the trip kind of inconvenient, on two major trips. That was my wake up call and the start of a shift toward mCCR's mainly for their field serviceability and true independence. On an mCCR it's possible to make the monitors totally independent of one another since there is not shared solenoid.

We've also owned the copis meg, a wonderful work horse and build like a Mac Truck! We added Shearwaters to them in favor of in line deco and added redundant po2 monitors for deeper diving.

We now own one Copis Meg and one rEvo3. My wife has been leaning in favor of back mounted counter lungs and the compact slim fit of the rEvo. Both are cool units. I really like the rEvo's split scrubber, it really helps to not have to throw away so much unused scrubber... it's the most efficient use of scrubber on the market, especially if you get the radial version.

I wouldn't worry so much about getting the one right unit, there are pros and cons to them all and your best efforts to find the best one now will probably not spare you from finding something you like about another one later.

That said, the rEvo 3 is a very nice unit, very comfortable and easy to use! We got ours with 4 cells, one dream on one cell for independence and the shearwater and other dream share the other cells. One thing that seems to be true is that the longer one is in this sport, the more redundancy in computers and bail out gas one tends to like.

George

Gill Envy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast