+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Thread: Recreational Rebreather????? Necessity or stupidity??????

RBW Member Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge's Avatar
    rEvo II

Evolution

Re: Recreational Rebreather????? Necessity or stupidity??????

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    This thread required cleaning

All posts starting with Dave ******'s have been removed.

Sorry to have to police this so harshly, but serious requests beyond my power required immediate action.

Mr. ****** will be taking a short vacation from RBW for direct violation of "Terms and Conditions"
    You gotta do what you gotta do, you're the boss. I just want to go on the record to say that "the other instructor" is also a friend, and I love working and dealing with him dearly. It was wrong for Dave to cast him in such a bad light in the open forum. If something was to be said, it would be better off said in private. But with all the lack of political and soft skills, Dave is a kind of guy who will give you the shirt off his back. Everyone learns something from his posts and I hope he is back soon.

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    ...The vast majority of us are using rebreathers recreationally anyway so the discussion is largely moot...
    LOL, what an ironic truth! Necessity or stupidity, it's perhaps more the norm than not.

And thank you Curt for doing what had to be done! I did find value in some of what Dave said but the ensuing back and forth really got lame by all involved.

It's obvious to me that the community is taking pause at the recent fatalities, which I think is a good thing. there is need for improvement.
    dive safe everyone!
    g

Gill Envy

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy  View Original Post
    Then I guess that one of the cornerstones of your much cherished constitution ah.......I think its the one about freedom of speech does not apply on RBW. My comments were civil,non inflammatory and I resent their removal from what I thought was an open and mature forum.

Freedom to accuse a fellow rebreather instructor (also a local NJ competing dive facility) of killing two students because one thinks they are incompetent, does not, and will not be tolerated here on RBW.

Freedom to hold constructive disagreements and conversations are allowed, as long as they follow the RBW “Terms and Conditions”.

The difficulty moderators have is to determine what is required to be moderated by the “terms and conditions”.

The next moderation problem is, once a member has violated these “Terms and Conditions” in a post, the posts after in response to the violated post also have to be moderated. It is very difficult and time consuming to edit every sentence from every post without loosing the original subject matter posted by responding members. Most of the time, all posts after a serious “terms and Conditions” violation are required to be removed.

This does not mean that the members making a post after the violation did not contain good discussion or points. I spent several hours reading every sentence and attempted to salvage what I could, but in the end it was too difficult to rewrite a whole chapter with several unrelated sentences. (example: Books are written in chapters, not in verses. Anyone can conclude a different meaning from a verse, but the true meaning is concluded by reading the whole chapter)

In the end, RBW is a moderated world site. There are many “Terms and Conditions” that members must follow. RBW attempts to be very fair and treat all members as equal.

Some have attempted and even boasted about “no moderation” sites where everyone is allowed to insult and discredit other members, but I as the owner of RBW do not feel that is the proper route for adults who should conduct themselves as professionals.

If a member feels they have the right to insult, discredit, and belittle other professionals, there are several other sites that do little to no moderation, feel free to rant and rave all you wish there.

On RBW members will conduct themselves within written parameters or they will be reprimanded or removed, no matter how many posts or contributions to rebreathers they feel they have made.

Last edited by Curt Bowen; 18th August 2010 at 17:40.

Supporting Member DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill's Avatar
    HammerHead

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    This thread required cleaning

All posts starting with Dave ******'s have been removed.

Sorry to have to police this so harshly, but serious requests beyond my power required immediate action.

Mr. ****** will be taking a short vacation from RBW for direct violation of "Terms and Conditions"
    Curt,

Thank you; needed to happen.

Both the cleaning and the much needed vacation.

I know I contributed to down hill ride of the thread; for that my apology.
    I sometimes just can't help myself with so much bull shi& spewing one particular source.

I'll do my best to better in the future though....

As far as a "rec" CCR cert.

I think the necessary mechanical skills can be learned easily enough.
    Especially if they are among the first skills learned, but they would likely take a bit longer. The typical PADI 4 dives and you're done approach obviously wouldn't work well.

The knowledge necessary is a different thing. The knowledge taught would necessarily need to be at, at least the advanced nitrox level.

So, a recreational type course would be a difficult task at best.

Then factor in the typical rec dive destination a operation and I think the accident rate would climb at a rapid rate...

Just my .02...