+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Recreational Rebreather????? Necessity or stupidity??????

Banned jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont is a splendid one to behold jont's Avatar
    Revo3 RMS, Revo3 Micro FT, MEG

HH, YBOD, Drager, MK, etc.

Recreational Rebreather????? Necessity or stupidity??????

There's been a lot of talk about recreational rebreather and there application and I can't figure it out, so my question is as follows:

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF USING A REBREATHER WITHIN RECREATIONAL DIVING LIMITS?

Note: answers such as "warm and optimized breathing gas" sound nice but are tough to quantify, I'm looking for fact.

Thanks,

Jon

Into Rubber Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W.'s Avatar
    Megalodon, HammerInspo

Dolphin

Re: Recreational Rebreather????? Necessity or stupidity??????

Quote Originally Posted by jont  View Original Post
    There's been a lot of talk about recreational rebreather and there application and I can't figure it out, so my question is as follows:

Note: answers such as "warm and optimized breathing gas" sound nice but are tough to quantify, I'm looking for fact.

Thanks,

Jon
    You canīt figure out? How about rebreathers going mainstream instead of staying a niche product.. Prices might drop due to increased sales, more rebreather friendly dive centres to name but a few.

Now itīs just waiting for the idiot-proof, CYA one so the main training agencies can incorporate it in their training program..

Just add ice & water plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma's Avatar
    O2 Apocalypse

DIY, Inspiration Classic

1. You can get much closer to marine life and your buoyancy does not change while breathing. This is a huge benefit for photo and video shooting.
    2. Gas logistics is much simpler. With a spare set of O2 and DIL tanks you can dive several days without refilling. And refilling is fast for these small tanks. This is one of the biggest benefits for me.

plays with fire RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver's Avatar
    modified Poseidon Discovery

For me it is the optimised breathing gas - having suffered a bad bend I've been looking for a while for a recreational rebreather as the optimised breathing gas will enable me to do more dives in a day while still maintaining conservative N2 uptake levels. I'm heading down the Poseidon Discovery path as it looks the best suited to my needs of the current crop of rebreathers.

RBW Member andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp's Avatar

It depends on what you consider recreational limits, and what your options are when diving.

If you will go diving just with your club, and the dives are limited to 45sh minutes to 1 hour, getting a CCR is non sense.

However, if you have the chance -because you are close to a nice beach, reef, or you have your own boat-, and you are really passionate about diving, the use of a CCR gives you the chance of doing really extended OW dives, with no deco (or very little), and getting real close to the wildlife.

That's my case, with my Kiss I dive going out from the beach, max depths of 40-45 mts, avg depth of 20 mts, and times ranging from 150 to 249 minutes.

I am a happy CCR open water diver, and absolutely love it.

"Two Sheds" Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos's Avatar
    JJ Rebreather

Classic Kiss

Necessity or stupidity?

This type of faulty logic is so common that wise men have given it a name: LINKY

I believe that it's possible for diving rebreathers at recreational depths to be neither necessary nor stupid. People might just simply enjoy owning and diving one.

I think the same argument applies to motorbikes. Yes some people own them solely because they allow an efficient commute. Others because it puts a smile on their face, despite it being less safe than taking the train.

Janos

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

How about "The exact same reasons to use them for "technical dives"?

EG less deco time/ longer no deco limits, Gas logistics, getting closer to the fish life and most important... because we can!

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

I like diving a rebreather on shallow and short dives but I'm not sure I'd shell out the money if all my diving could be covered with a 12 of air and a pony.

If all it will do is shallow and short then I'd rather question 'Why?'.
    But then I ask that about SCRs and people still seem to buy them

Into Rubber Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W. is just really nice Joop W.'s Avatar
    Megalodon, HammerInspo

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by andrespp  View Original Post

If you will go diving just with your club, and the dives are limited to 45sh minutes to 1 hour, getting a CCR is non sense.
    Why would that be? If prices for units and cartridges go down, why not?

Flaccid Member abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie's Avatar
    Dammit I bought another KISS

CK, SK, Satori, ManBagOD

I am now revisiting rebreather diving because I want to do some 60m+ wreck and sinkhole dives.

Personally I believe that this is the point at which the benefits of rebreathers begin to outweigh their increased risks.

Above 60m I choose OC. Each to their own.

PS I also would like to meet Joop's avatar. She looks like fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast