+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sea & Sea YS-250 PRO Strobes, how deep, really?

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Sea & Sea YS-250 PRO Strobes, how deep, really?

I've got a simple questions here, how deep do you take your Sea & Sea YS-250 PRO Strobes. I was delighted to find a warranty extension card in the box with the strobes and then disappointed to find from Sea and Sea's web site that these strobes are actually excluded specifically from Sea & Sea's extended warranty programs which boasts greater protection from flooding... but I digress.

These strobes have a 200 Ft rating, I've heard some say you can always add a 100 ft to these ratings, others say only 20%, as in 240 ft. Any experience in this area, specifically from those who have taken them deeper would be much appreciated. What do people do for deep water photography? Is there a way to increase the depth rating, like with the housing?

Kind Regards,
    George

Gill Envy

UTD Poster Child Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose's Avatar

Re: Sea & Sea YS-250 PRO Strobes, how deep, really?

Thats an excellent question (and one I want to know the answer to as well)

I guess it also partly depends on whether or not you have flood insurance and whether or not that will pay out :)

I have had mine (with S&S housing) between 200 and 235 a number of times with no issues.

I heard from someone that repairs them that they are usually tested to 300 but that person isn't going to offer to pay if they get flooded!

My main concern is actually my dome port, not my strobes or housing.

Member jdunlap is on a distinguished road jdunlap is on a distinguished road jdunlap's Avatar
    Meg

I have no direct experience with the YS-250, but I have used the YS-120 and YS-110a extensively deeper than 100 MSW. No issues, but I accept that eventually I'll probably loose one and there will be no warranty.

UTD Poster Child Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdunlap  View Original Post
    I have no direct experience with the YS-250, but I have used the YS-120 and YS-110a extensively deeper than 100 MSW. No issues, but I accept that eventually I'll probably loose one and there will be no warranty.
    Yeah, losing the strobe I dont actually mind. It's whether or not the water could creep into the sync cable and ruin camera and housing etc. that's more of a concern.

Biting a $1000 bill is one thing, but replacing the whole shebang doesn't sound like much fun.

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

I use dual Inon Z-240 strobes with my camera setup and they are depth rated to 100m/328ft.

INON Strobe Z-240 Type4 [Spec]

Adrian

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

thanks guys, they have been to 200 a few times now and will likely go deeper soon, fingers crossed!

if anyone else has anything to add, please do.

my next challenge is figuring out how to take a good picture with this set up without it being a total accident...

so much to learn, so little time!

g

Gill Envy

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Envy  View Original Post

my next challenge is figuring out how to take a good picture with this set up without it being a total accident...

so much to learn, so little time!

g
    Heh, thats the harder part indeed. Light is the key honestly. If you don't have enough light on the subject then you are in trouble.

For me the YS-250s are almost too powerful to use on full power without really long arms as they generate a lot of backscatter.

At least around here, there is very little to no ambient light at those depths so the only real light is from the strobes.

I generally increase the ISO before I try going to full power on the strobes.

Shutter speeds generally faster than 1/50th and often up to 1/125 to avoid blurring.

I also keep my expectations low so I am sometimes pleasantly surprised :)

Apprentice Meg Pilot kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu's Avatar
    Megalodon APECS 2.7

I've taken an Ikelite housing (rated to 40m) and Sea & Sea YS-60 strobe to 70m without any problem (and everything still functioned as expected at that depth) if that's any help.

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

I've had my YS-250s as deep as 360 fsw once and to around 300 fsw several times with no issues whatsoever.

RBW Member hail2osiris is an unknown quantity at this point hail2osiris's Avatar
    Modified AP Evo+

Quote Originally Posted by jdunlap  View Original Post
    How deep have you taken your YS-110a?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast