+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hydro Atlantic trip report 5/23

RBW Member Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun is a name known to all Down4fun's Avatar
    rEvo

Hydro Atlantic trip report 5/23

So a few of us headed out with Avid Diver to day to do the Hydro. Turned out to be a mixed boat 3 ccr, 3 o/c. The seas were not near as bad as everyone had forecast as we motored out in 2-3's. On the trip out the water looked very blue and we were hopeful for a good dive. As we got to the wreck another boat had just put a line on the wreck and was dropping some out of town o/c guys. The captains talked and agreed we would drop our o/c guys next, followed by the ccr's who would then pull the hook.
    Adrain, Tony and I were the ccr divers. We dropped into very blue water with little current. Part way down the line Adrian and Tony decided to play a game of fetch as Adrian dropped his camera and Tony went swimming after, followed closely by Adrian. Me...I wasn't into the game and so i watched the two of them swim to the sand in 174ft. The viz was 100ft or better and i could see them both on the ocean floor. I descended to the stern of the boat an awaited the arrival of the recovery divers. After a few minute "rest" for Tony, he and I began swimming to the bow of the boat and to a hatch we had talked about penetrating.
    Once at the hatch door, we tied off and dropped in. It's a very kewl section of the wreck that neither of us had been to before. Capt Oliver had previously ran line in there and sure enough we found it. The hatch opens into a stairwell that descends three levels. We went to the second level which is really just a large room. Then i peered into the third level but it also was just a large room and heavily rusted and Oliver had warned full of silt. So we headed up to the first level and a doorway which leads to the crew quarters. A truly excellent part of the wreck to penetrate. the little hallway jugs left and right opening into many small crew rooms. The line continued on, but we turned at that point as our agreement was half our run time in the belly of the wreck for me and half topside for Tony to shoot pics. Back on the deck we ran into Adrain shooting pics on the bow. The cup coral was beautiful and we spent quite a while up there and working our way up the wheel house.
    Well our 40 minute run time was soon up and we headed back to line, pulled the hook and began our 45 minutes of deco. We were treated a spectacular interaction with some spade fish at 20 feet. These little cuties hung out with us for almost 20 minutes, swimming around us, letting us even pet them. It was awesome and made the time fly by. With all us of us clear on our computers we exited the water.
    Another fabulous day of diving in South Florida.

RBW Member deepstops is an unknown quantity at this point deepstops's Avatar

Re: Hydro Atlantic trip report 5/23

Quote Originally Posted by Down4fun  View Original Post
    Another fabulous day of diving in South Florida.
    Indeed it was, thanks for putting it together

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

OK, it is offical. Ya'all suck!

I was suppossed to be in that hatch way before any of you got there.

Glad you had a fun and safe dive.

Why didn't Adrian have his camera clipped to the bungee like he normally does?
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I DROPPED MY CAMERA! Guilty as charged! Fortunately, the current was light and, as Kim (Down4fun) indicated, we weren't too far off the stern of the wreck. And, even more importantly, Tony (Tienuts) had my back and immediately went in for the assist - thanks Tony!

As far as Kim's trip report, I don't have much to add, because she summed it up nicely! However, what I can do is add a few pics from today's dive to supplement her report and show all you folks out there what you missed! Here you go:

First and foremost, here's a shot of Kim on the boat, just before departing for the dive.

Here's a shot of Captain Oliver, Tony and Kim.

Here's a couple of shots that show just how amazing the growth on this wreck is.

Here's a couple of shots of Tony playing with the Canon 7D in a Nauticam Housing!

Here's Kim sporing her Revo and modeling for Tony.

Here's a great shot Kim took of me with my camera, which shows the amazing growth on the wheelhouse of the Hydro.

And finally, here's a shot of Kim watching the friendly Spade Fish on the deco line.

And even though I was unable to get a shot of Brian (Deepstops) underwater, I did manage to get a topside shot of his very cool tattoo!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by sfldiver; 24th May 2010 at 02:38.

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Why didn't Adrian have his camera clipped to the bungee like he normally does?
    Besides the fact that I was breaking in my new dual wing, harness and tek butplate, which made me look like a rookie because I took much longer than usual and needed Oliver's help to gear up, I figured with the light current I wouldn't have a problem getting down the line without much effort. The line turned out to be much longer and horizontal than I anticipated, so when I rolled to mount myself on top of the line, there went the camera!

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Some more pics....

Kim

Kim about to take a shot of Adrian in the wheelhouse

Adrian

Kim and Adrian on the deco hang

Adrian

Kim and the very friendly spadefish

+ Reply to Thread