+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Laguna Research CCR Controler Intro Video

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Laguna Research CCR Controler Intro Video

A quick interview with Laguna Research CEO, Wayne Miller discussing their basic line of rebreather controllers

Laguna Research - Electronic Design & Manufacture
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Curt Bowen; 23rd May 2010 at 17:20.

RBW Member tekdivnkid is an unknown quantity at this point tekdivnkid's Avatar
    Kiss Sport, drager, Others

Re: Laguna Research CCR Controler Intro Video

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post

&nbsp
    &nbsp

A quick interview with Laguna Research CEO, Wayne Miller discussing their basic line of rebreather controllers

Laguna Research - Electronic Design & Manufacture
    Ive been diving for many years and have own several different rebreathers, and love the idea of being able to put the controler on any number of rebreather, just by changing the configeration, to suit the rebeather
    your diving, looking forward to picking up my set in the next few weeks. Very cool I like it:)

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Nice video, thanks Curt! It seems to me that the main thrust of the marketing is to suggest that the system can be applied to many types of rebreathers... I don't mean to sound crass, but what is unique about this controller.

Seems like Shearwater and others have been doing this for some time. Are there other advantages to this particular controller over the preditor/X1/VRX etc?

g

Gill Envy

Wael AL-Jareh Brainx3 is a jewel in the rough Brainx3 is a jewel in the rough Brainx3 is a jewel in the rough Brainx3 is a jewel in the rough Brainx3 is a jewel in the rough Brainx3 is a jewel in the rough Brainx3 is a jewel in the rough Brainx3's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision with BOB

Ray, Evolution, Insp. Classic

Wasn't there a CO2 monitor being developed by Laguna Research? What's the update regarding that?

Regards. Wael

Diving SIL Technology Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko's Avatar
    Next Generation Rebreather

IDA-71, Ray, LarV, Meg, C96

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Envy  View Original Post
    Nice video, thanks Curt! It seems to me that the main thrust of the marketing is to suggest that the system can be applied to many types of rebreathers... I don't mean to sound crass, but what is unique about this controller.

Seems like Shearwater and others have been doing this for some time. Are there other advantages to this particular controller over the preditor/X1/VRX etc?

g
    Having seen this unit in person I have to say Wayne merely gave an overview of the unit. This controller is in a totally different class than most.

What makes this unit unique is it's redundancy. A big part of this is it's use of "circuit isolation" as apposed to "resistive isolation" or in many cases "no isolation" when sharing cells between more than one PO2 display. Isolation protects cells from being damaged or worse putting out false readings in the event of a short.

Many rebreather divers (and some manufacturers) have not taken this into consideration when hooking up multiple PO2 displays or deco computers to cells. LR has gone to great lengths to add circuit isolation between all of their display modules.

I think it is safe to say that NO other 3rd party PO2 controller does this. This unit has other nice features but this is the one that impressed me most.

Thom
    Last edited by Thom Susko; 19th June 2010 at 08:22.

New Member LagunaResearch will become famous soon enough LagunaResearch will become famous soon enough LagunaResearch will become famous soon enough LagunaResearch's Avatar
    MK155

MK15, UT240, BMR500, Insp

Hello all,

thanks for the nice words Thom - really appreciate it.

Gill - we like to think that our controllers are very different from others in several ways. First, we've been building controllers for about 10 years now and we've focused just on the controller technology not simply adding solenoid control to an existing diving computer...

There are many features of the system that make it unique. I'd invite you to take a look at the operations manual available on our website. http://www.lagunaresearch.com/downlo...Suite%20v3.pdf

One unique feature is that you can tailor the operation of the controller to the specific phyisical dynamics of the rebreather that it's placed on. We've tested and used the same controllers on: LARV, MK15x, Drager Dolphin/Atlantis, rEvo, UT240, Azimuth, Inspiration Classic, Kiss Classic & Sport, BMR500 and BIOPAC 60 units...

More technical features are the active isolation of the sensors as Thom mentioned, completely field stripable, very low power, vacuum testable... etc.

When I made the video with Curt, it was only meant to be an intro to create interest and specifically for all the dead dragers out there - providing a way to bring them back to life - better than before!

Wayne Miller
    Laguna Research

New Member LagunaResearch will become famous soon enough LagunaResearch will become famous soon enough LagunaResearch will become famous soon enough LagunaResearch's Avatar
    MK155

MK15, UT240, BMR500, Insp

Laguna Research CO2 sensor development

Quote Originally Posted by Brainx3  View Original Post
    Wasn't there a CO2 monitor being developed by Laguna Research? What's the update regarding that?

Regards. Wael
    Yes we are developing a CO2 monitor. As of right now, we have finished testing the sensors (again) and have developed the headend electronics. We are developing the sensor packaging and dive testing the system.

Previously the system we had created used too much power and we didn't want to release it... so we went back to the design room and completely redid everything - including a completely new way to analyze the sensors!

So right now it's vaporware since it's not released - but soon!

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Susko  View Original Post
    I think it is safe to say that NO other 3rd party PO2 controller does this. .....
    Thom
    hum, hum... there is no better isolation, than... not sharing cells at all: full 100% redundancy, minimum 2 electonic systems, not sharing anything, not even sensors!

paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

Diving SIL Technology Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko's Avatar
    Next Generation Rebreather

IDA-71, Ray, LarV, Meg, C96

Quote Originally Posted by paulraymaekers  View Original Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Susko  View Original Post
    I think it is safe to say that NO other 3rd party PO2 controller does this...
    hum, hum... there is no better isolation, than... not sharing cells at all: full 100% redundancy, minimum 2 electonic systems, not sharing anything, not even sensors!

paul
    Hi Paul,

That is a good point regarding isolation. However I am referring to a 3rd party controller/PO2 monitor reading 3 cells that can be used on virtually any rebreather. I was not referring to a specific manufacturers factory configuration.

So in this case pas de touche my freind

Thom
    Last edited by Thom Susko; 21st June 2010 at 05:01. Reason: added context

Blinded with science... deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

MK15.5, MK15

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Envy  View Original Post

g
    I've got a full Laguna Research control system (CCM, ILD, UDC, and HUD) on my MK15, and I have to say - it is truly awesome. Very flexible, intuitive, and rugged. I've had zero problems over about a year and a half diving it, and the more I use it, the more I like it!

Also - I have to say that Wayne and Dave at Laguna are fantastic resources. I've spent several hours on the phone with Wayne discussing the finer points of the system and he's been VERY generous with time as well as with system upgrades! I considered many possible routes when rebuilding this particular MK15 and I'm very happy with my choice.

Hey Wayne - if you are listening, is the HUD in the video a new version? It looks somewhat different from the one on my system. mine is a solid piece of anodized aluminum with a potted LED at the end, I believe. If it is new, are there advantages to the new version?

Lee