+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Import/Export/Tariff/Shipping Fees

RBW Member Scott will become famous soon enough Scott will become famous soon enough Scott will become famous soon enough Scott will become famous soon enough Scott's Avatar
    FrankenLAR

Import/Export/Tariff/Shipping Fees

Quote Originally Posted by DanFountain  View Original Post
    Plus, yesterday I got a bill for $14 from a customs broker...
    Out of curiosity, any idea what they listed for the Harmonized Tariff Schedule?

(I know almost nothing about customs, but the closest thing I could find for SCUBA gear was 9506.29.00.80)

9506.29.00.80 in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (2009) Supplement 1

"Articles and equipment for general physical exercise, gymnastics, athletics, other sports (including table-tennis) or outdoor games, not specified or included elsewhere in this chapter; swimming pools and wading pools; parts and accessories thereof: Water skis, surf boards, sailboards and other water-sport equipment; parts and accessories thereof:"
    "Other"
    "Other"

Rates of Duty
    Type 1. General: Free
    Type 1. Special: (blank, so I believe the same as general)
    Type 2. 40%

Regards
    -Scott

Analog Luddite DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain's Avatar
    BP240 conversion

Homebuilts

Re: Apocalypse Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by Scott  View Original Post
    Regards
    -Scott
    I'll have to look and see if I have any information on that - I know all of the packaging is gone away by now. Will check.

-Dan

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Diving gear imported into the USA is duty free.

Dan lives in Canada, cannot comment there.

Even to clear a duty free shipment, a customs broker is usually needed to handle the clearance. This has been true on all of the shipments of freight I have gotten from Europe over the years. Fees usually run a twenty dollars or so for a $5000 value shipment.

Small shipments by DHL, Fedex, and UPS as well as by ordinary mail have always been cleared without charge for customs brokerage.

I would expect small boxes from DL to be sent in a way that avoids a customs broker. Methinks they are still on the learning curve on this.

Dave

Analog Luddite DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain is a jewel in the rough DanFountain's Avatar
    BP240 conversion

Homebuilts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave ******  View Original Post
    Dan lives in Canada, cannot comment there.
    Dave

Close! The Upper Peninsula of Michigan, actually. (Although I've been mistaken for Canadian by Canadians for my accent...)

-Dan

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanFountain  View Original Post
    Close! The Upper Peninsula of Michigan, actually. (Although I've been mistaken for Canadian by Canadians for my accent...)

-Dan

Sorry Bud... Dunno how I crossed that wire.

What shipper did they use?

Dave

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Scott  View Original Post

(I know almost nothing about customs, but the closest thing I could find for SCUBA gear was 9506.29.00.80)

9506.29.00.80 in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (2009) Supplement 1

"Articles and equipment for general physical exercise, gymnastics, athletics, other sports (including table-tennis) or outdoor games, not specified or included elsewhere in this chapter; swimming pools and wading pools; parts and accessories thereof: Water skis, surf boards, sailboards and other water-sport equipment; parts and accessories thereof:"
    "Other"
    "Other"

Rates of Duty
    Type 1. General: Free
    Type 1. Special: (blank, so I believe the same as general)
    Type 2. 40%

Regards
    -Scott
    had a meeting with customs today...

seems that 9506.... is not correct, as if you read further, it excludes specifically breathing apparatus using compressed air or oxygen

seems that it must be 9020.000 if you look into one of the chapters it specifies breathing apparatus used for diving

paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

RBW Member Scott will become famous soon enough Scott will become famous soon enough Scott will become famous soon enough Scott will become famous soon enough Scott's Avatar
    FrankenLAR

Quote Originally Posted by paulraymaekers  View Original Post
    had a meeting with customs today...

seems that 9506.... is not correct, as if you read further, it excludes specifically breathing apparatus using compressed air or oxygen

seems that it must be 9020.000 if you look into one of the chapters it specifies breathing apparatus used for diving

paul
    Thank you Paul.. I stand corrected.

While I couldn't find where it excludes breather apparatus using compressed gases, I went and looked at 9020 and it does seem more appropriate:

"Other breathing applicances and gas masks, excluding protective masks having neither mechanical parts nor replaceable filters; parts and accessories thereof:"
    "Underwater breathing devices designed as a complete unit to be carried on the person and not requiring attendants"

On the Harmonized Tariff Scheudle of the United States (2010) it is still listed as "Free" for Rate of Duty type 1 General, blank for type 1 Special, but is lower at 27.5% for type 2.

Even to clear a duty free shipment, a customs broker is usually needed to handle the clearance. This has been true on all of the shipments of freight I have gotten from Europe over the years. Fees usually run a twenty dollars or so for a $5000 value shipment.

Dave

I realize that, but thank you for spelling it out in the thread. I was specifically wondering about the Harmonized Tariff Code. From my understanding, if you leave it blank, the Custom Brokers put what they think is most appropriate, which may be incorrect as well, and result in a duty fee.

Regards,

Scott

RBW Member Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen's Avatar

Re: Import/Export/Tariff/Shipping Fees

These were originally on the APOC thread but was worthy of having it's own thread.

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

Re: Import/Export/Tariff/Shipping Fees

Yep ... 9020 is the correct code, that is what I import all my units under and have done for years.

$20 broker fees ... Christ I wish. ... regards Baz

BP240 conversion

Homebuilts

What shipper did they use?

Dave

It was shipped via DPD, a UK shipper. Didn't see who handled it on this end - my wife took the delivery & she was too busy keeping the dog from biting the guy to notice what kind of truck he was driving...

-Dan