+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gradient factors and the depth at which the first deco stop is planned

Divemaster ken chung ar is on a distinguished road ken chung ar is on a distinguished road ken chung ar's Avatar
    Inhabitant of the City of the Garden for Sharing Pleasure with Every Man and Woman, JAPAN

Gradient factors and the depth at which the first deco stop is planned

hi connoisseurs in tech diving,

i have been learning gradient factors used in the decompression planning in deep diving and read "clearing up the confusion about deep stops" and "understanding M-values", both of which were written by EC Baker.

it is my understanding that, in order to reduce the inert gas pressure gradient, a gradient factor (GF) is introduced. it is a percentage of the M-value gradient, i.e. a division of the inert gas pressure gradient by M-value gradient.

now, GF-Low determines the depth at which the first deco stop is planned. the lower the GF-Low setting is, the deeper the first stop needs to be. this is consistent with my understanding.

however, when i saw Figures 1 and 3 in "clearing up the confusion about deep stops", the relationship between GF-Low and the first deco stop depth seemed reversed! the conservatism factor was minimal (15%), and the deco started at -33m in Figure 1; whereas GF-Low was 20%, and the deco started at -54m in Figure 3.

i am more confused and cannot explain this apparent contradiction. at least, this paper does not clear up my confusion, and so i need your help it.

thank you in advance.

ken chung ar
    Last edited by ken chung ar; 19th February 2006 at 22:33.

New Member hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca's Avatar

Re: Gradient factors and the depth at which the first deco stop is planned

Look at the article again...
    Figure 1: profile generated with the conventional Calc method (the conservatism factor IS NOT a GF).
    Figure 2: profile generated using the empirical method developed and published by Richard Pyle (again conservatism factor IS NOT a GF).
    Figure 3: profile generated using GFs...

basically it is a progression from the most aggressive profile to the most conservative. With only the last and most conservative actually using GFs.

BTW, I am not an expert; this is merely my interpetation/ understanding...

Hope that helps.
    Hoppyinca

+ Reply to Thread