+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 02 clean bottle

No its always that colour the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler's Avatar

02 clean bottle

Any one got tips on 02 cleaning of an 3ltr 02 bottle.

RBW Member JDostal will become famous soon enough JDostal will become famous soon enough JDostal will become famous soon enough JDostal will become famous soon enough JDostal's Avatar
    KISS Classic #429

Re: 02 clean bottle

I basically use lots of scrubbing/washing with Simple Green. I have a bottle brush and I scrub the ever living heck out of the bottle and the threads. Then I rinse until all evidence of soap is gone and then I rinse about 5 more times. Use oxygen lube on the threads and neck o-ring, clean the valve out by scrubbing/soaking with more Simple Green and good to go.

The Oxygen Hackers Handbook from Airspeed Press is also definitely worth the money!

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Simple Green & Hot Water.... Rinse well with Hot water...

Richie

RBW Member liuk3 is an unknown quantity at this point liuk3's Avatar

Yeah, I just got the Oxygen Hacker's book. Great reference source of information in managing oxygen and mixed gas equipment.
    Vance Harlow's OXYGEN HACKER'S COMPANION From AIrspeed Press

RBW Member Bottomboy is on a distinguished road Bottomboy is on a distinguished road Bottomboy's Avatar
    Poseidon Discovery MKVI

Quote Originally Posted by the diving tiler  View Original Post
    Dont forget to clean the valve, its even more important
    If its a steel tank, be carefull using hot water/hot air to rinse and dry it, it will rust instantly.

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Quote Originally Posted by Bottomboy  View Original Post
    Dont forget to clean the valve, its even more important
    If its a steel tank, be carefull using hot water/hot air to rinse and dry it, it will rust instantly.
    It's just a flash rust. A quick whipping of the tank will remove it... Just be sure to hold the tank upside down and blow out with a low pressure hose. Most people don't even bother to remove it. It won't harm anything, as long as the tank is dry...

Richie

Roland Somodi rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver's Avatar
    Homebuilt(s)

Inspiration Classic

A friend of mine built a tumbler (I hope it is a right word) out of a few roller skate wheels and an electric motor from a broken wash machine. It can spin 2 tanks at a same time on a slow RPM. Have some sharp metal raspings that is being used for sand(metal) blasting. I pour some of that in it and tumble the tanks for some time depending on how rusty they are inside. Then wash it with dish washing detergent and hot water. Flush it numerous times. Once it cools back, rinse it inside with isopropyl alcohol. Before it evaporates flush it hot water again to remove the alcohol residue, and smell. Clean the threads with a toothbrush and alcohol. Then blow it out with some clean air to allow drying quicker.The valve is a different story. Disassemble it and put all the metal parts into a pan, with water and dish washing detergent in it. Boil it for some time. Soak it in alcohol and use a toothbrush to remove any hydrocarbon residue that might be left on it. Reassemble with new Viton O-rings and some Christolube. Done. It is not rocket science, just don't be complacent.Take your time and you get a good result. Also if you are not sure about the final results of your cleaning process, always fill your tanks slowly when it comes to high pressure O2. I hope it helped.

VR

Roland

Disclaimer: Playing around compressed oxygen is a VERY DANGEROUS activity. I don't encourage anyone to do it! There are highly trained technicians to do this job for you. Let them earn some money!

RBW Member toe will become famous soon enough toe will become famous soon enough toe will become famous soon enough toe will become famous soon enough toe's Avatar
    rEvo 111 hybrid

Vision Inspo,Evo+, classic

Quote Originally Posted by the diving tiler  View Original Post
    Hi Paul

I have Simple Green and biox. I also have the Oxygen Hackers guide if you want a look. If the cylinder has never had anything but o2 I am not to pushed about cleaning. But I do give the valve a clean on the outside.

Flash rust is a pain in the ass, and with the water we have in Wexford I have always had it appear.

Will be diving on Sat with you guys,

Cheers
    Tony

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

My local shop charges £10 to put a cylinder into O2 service.

Read all the above replies and ask yourself if you can be arsed with all the work for the sake of a tenner.
    Last edited by lizardland; 13th May 2010 at 21:55.

RBW Member JDostal will become famous soon enough JDostal will become famous soon enough JDostal will become famous soon enough JDostal will become famous soon enough JDostal's Avatar
    KISS Classic #429

Man, if I could get my shop to do it for my I'd pay up in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately I'm such good friends with them that when I bring my tanks in he looks at me and goes "have fun, supplies are in the back".

I called a different local LDS in my area just of curiosity. They wanted $70us/tank to tumble, clean and inspect each tank. 4 breather bottles, 1 argon, 2 al40's, 2 al80's, my sidemount steels, wife's OC singles and a set of doubles...Owwwww.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast