+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cell testing

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar

cell testing

any cunning ideas on how to verify cells are good without getting the unit wet?

other than checking that you get ppo2 1.00 at 100% loop and ppo2 0.21 at 21% loop and that the cells are within spec.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    Can you read the milivolt output of the individual cells?

On the megalodon one of the tests is to check in real time what your mini volt output is - in air if its below 8 you need to change it.

Also means if you have a sensor being voted out on the dive you can quickly check the mini volt outputs to make sure that it really is faulty and that 2 faulty cells are not voting it out.

stuart

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schford
    Can you read the milivolt output of the individual cells?
    yep the same you can read the output of the cell in air has to be between 8 and 13mV

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

RBW Member peter is an unknown quantity at this point peter's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Inspiration Classic

Its possibly to ”short-circuit” the scrubber and check the sensors at overpressure.
    So that you can see that they are working up to 1,4-1,5 PO2.

I think it is explained in the manual...

RBW Member Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie
    any cunning ideas on how to verify cells are good without getting the unit wet?

other than checking that you get ppo2 1.00 at 100% loop and ppo2 0.21 at 21% loop and that the cells are within spec.
    How long do you leave the unit at 1bar filled with O2? I fill mine up about once a month and leave it for a good few hours on Low SP after a REALLY good O2 flush. If there's any drop from 1 bar then the cells are probably "running out of juice" and this effect will be excasserbated when trying to hold 1.3bar for long periods as the mV output will need to be higher..... learnt this trick from someone else, so can't claim credit for it!!

I also keep track of my calibration millivoltages by noting down the 2 readings just before is goes "CALIBRATING" I can then track is any one cell is starting to drop it's output over time.

RBW Member Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan is just really nice Padowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter
    Its possibly to ”short-circuit” the scrubber and check the sensors at overpressure.
    So that you can see that they are working up to 1,4-1,5 PO2.

I think it is explained in the manual...
    Is the scrubber can rated for a bar and a half working pressure? I'd not want to risk fracturing, warping or damaging it possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by Padowan
    How long do you leave the unit at 1bar filled with O2? I fill mine up about once a month and leave it for a good few hours on Low SP after a REALLY good O2 flush. If there's any drop from 1 bar then the cells are probably "running out of juice" and this effect will be excasserbated when trying to hold 1.3bar for long periods as the mV output will need to be higher..... learnt this trick from someone else, so can't claim credit for it!!
    er about 1/2 hour last night

I also keep track of my calibration millivoltages by noting down the 2 readings just before is goes "CALIBRATING" I can then track is any one cell is starting to drop it's output over time.
    I have somewhere the value mine where at when they were new but I am buggered if I can find it funny thing is neither can Paul or Lisa who did the same at the same time sure I wrote them in the manual.

my current cells (original 18 months old 95hrs) are at just below 1 ~0.98
    seem to remember new they were 1.3 ish

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie
    er about 1/2 hour last night

I have somewhere the value mine where at when they were new but I am buggered if I can find it funny thing is neither can Paul or Lisa who did the same at the same time sure I wrote them in the manual.

my current cells (original 18 months old 95hrs) are at just below 1 ~0.98
    seem to remember new they were 1.3 ish
    1.3, that's pretty high = 13mV. Mine were about 10.1-10.3 mV when new, and now currently at about 9.8-10.1mV during Calibration - my cell 2 has been consistently a few 1/10ths of a mV lower than cells 1 or 3 since the day the unit came out of it's crate.

Also for replacement cells, I would not order 3 at once. I'd space out 3 seperate orders out to ensure that you got 3 cells from different batches (or make this request to AP for 3 cells from different batches) so that a mfg error in one batch does not totally kill your units performance (and perhaps you)

1.3, that's pretty high = 13mV. Mine were about 10.1-10.3 mV when new, and now currently at about 9.8-10.1mV during Calibration - my cell 2 has been consistently a few 1/10ths of a mV lower than cells 1 or 3 since the day the unit came out of it's crate.
    hmm could be I know mine were high when new pretty sure they were 1.25 or something if I could find which manual I wrote it in it would help (Beanie 6 manuals)

Also for replacement cells, I would not order 3 at once. I'd space out 3 seperate orders out to ensure that you got 3 cells from different batches (or make this request to AP for 3 cells from different batches) so that a mfg error in one batch does not totally kill your units performance (and perhaps you)
    not tought of that all I wanted was three matched cells

RBW Member peter is an unknown quantity at this point peter's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Inspiration Classic

Is the scrubber can rated for a bar and a half working pressure? I'd not want to risk fracturing, warping or damaging it possibly?
    Yes its no problem, but don’t forget to flush out the air…
    But if you want to play safe don’t run it higher then 1,2 -1,3 PO2..
    Didn’t find any info in the manual, but found this in the Inspiration list archives.

If the symptoms are that you get the cell errors only at 1.3 dsetpoint and
    that they disappear att 0.7 you most likely have no problem with the
    electrical connections but rather a cell that is loosing its linerity at the
    high end. This is in my experince how a cell starts to fail.

You can test the cells at the high end by building your own "pressure pot"
    with the scrubber.

basically..

-Assemble and calibrate the unit as normal and leave everything on at
    setpoint 0.7.

-Take away the inhalation hose between the scrubber and T peice.

-disconnect the scrubber exhale hose at the T-piece and connect at the
    center of the scrubber lid, In effect "shortening" the loop at the scrubber.

-Set the setpoint to 1.3. This will cause the solenoid to add O2 to the
    scrubber and build up pressure until the PO reaches 1.3

-All sensors should now show 1.3.

-Leave the unit is this state for a couple of hours and you will see if any
    of your sensors starts to drift.

-Change the drifting sensor.

Whatever you do do NOT CALIBRATE while you have "shortened" the loop. It
    will blow up the scrubber!!!

This method that was given to us by Martin Parker has caught all my failing
    sensors.

Best regards
    Esse