+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diving with Bruises

RBW Member mpain is an unknown quantity at this point mpain's Avatar

Diving with Bruises

Can anyone enlighten me?

Is there any problem (DCI wise) with diving with bruise's?

Regards
    Mark

Mike Samsen Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948's Avatar
    rEvo III Hybrid

Re: Diving with Bruises

It actually significantly reduces DCI (Darling Chick Influx.) The women really don't like to see the bruises.

This is serious......mum Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy's Avatar
    rEVO 111

Inspo Classic

Only when you dive past 100m.

Send Harry or Fockie an email if you've got any concerns.

Cheers
    D&S

Mike Samsen Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948's Avatar
    rEvo III Hybrid

Though not medically trained, I'll hazard a guess. As long as the internal bleeding that has caused the bruise has healed, there should be no problem. The blood causing the discoloration is not part of the circulatory system and therefore will be minimally impacted by on/off gassing. So, I don't see any risk.

Again, I'm not medically trained and this is only my guess at a logical response.

RBW Member johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv's Avatar

I'd be cautious of big bruises - not small bumps.

I did a couple of repetitive dives: first day 50m, second day 80m after giving blood. a small 2cm bruise at the needle site expanded to cover the width of my arm and about 15 cm long. no pain or other DCI symptoms though.

it then took weeks to subside completely.

just an alternatvive view with real world experience.

John

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

Quote Originally Posted by johnv  View Original Post
    I'd be cautious of big bruises - not small bumps.

I did a couple of repetitive dives: first day 50m, second day 80m after giving blood. a small 2cm bruise at the needle site expanded to cover the width of my arm and about 15 cm long. no pain or other DCI symptoms though.

it then took weeks to subside completely.

just an alternatvive view with real world experience.

John
    I wouldn't ascribe this to diving as its not unusual. A small collection of blood that has leaked from the vein gets broken down and spreads to produce a large bruise a few days later.

Neil

RBW Member johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutty  View Original Post
    I wouldn't ascribe this to diving as its not unusual. A small collection of blood that has leaked from the vein gets broken down and spreads to produce a large bruise a few days later.

Neil
    sure, in which case, the timing was absolutely incredible, like the bruise was fine before I dived, then sneakliky waited until I surfaced, then reduced in 24 hours, then like magic jumped out again as soon as I surfaced from the next dive only twice as big!

you could similarly explain away itching pain, and rashes after diving but most would call that denial.

this is just an alternate view with real world experience, I've give blood a lot and had a lot of bruises, I know what is normal and reasonable this was neither.

John

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by mpain  View Original Post
    Can anyone enlighten me?

Is there any problem (DCI wise) with diving with bruise's?

Regards
    Mark

Christ i hope not as every time i tell the wife i am going diving she beets me up

ATB

Mark

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

Quote Originally Posted by johnv  View Original Post
    sure, in which case, the timing was absolutely incredible, like the bruise was fine before I dived, then sneakliky waited until I surfaced, then reduced in 24 hours, then like magic jumped out again as soon as I surfaced from the next dive only twice as big!

you could similarly explain away itching pain, and rashes after diving but most would call that denial.

this is just an alternate view with real world experience, I've give blood a lot and had a lot of bruises, I know what is normal and reasonable this was neither.

John
    Hi John,
    Maybe "wouldn't ascribe it to diving" was a bit absolute - I meant more "wouldn't ascribe it to changes in gas loading". More likely to be a physical effect of eg a slightly "squeezy" dry suit fold rubbing against the haematoma (blood collection). Certainly interesting though and who knows for sure?!
    A difference to the OP's point (no details given) may be that a bruise from blood taking is due to a leak of blood from a tiny tissue injury (needle puncture), whereas many bruises are due to more widespread tissue trauma (eg hit by a cricket ball). I'd be more concerned about the effect of tissue injury than the bruise itself (but personally it wouldn't stop me diving).

Regards,
    Neil

+ Reply to Thread