+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Multi-Deco on the X1 - brief review

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Multi-Deco on the X1 - brief review

I recently upgraded my X1 to multi deco, so I could have the option to run a GF profile, and to get a better on-screen display of my cells.

The new display is cool - it gives you the option to view your PO2 in a much easier to read column on the left of the screen. You can toggle back and forth between this and the standard screen with a tap on the side of the unit.

The GF - not so cool. Only because I prefer VPM. But needed, since everyone else in my team dives a Shearwater. When diving GF, it does the old "forever 1 minute at your last stop," routine. Mine showed one minute of deco remaining for the last 12 minutes of my dive. It does allow you to change your gradient factors mid dive if you so choose.

It does allow you to run 2 pre-set bail-out profiles, like V-planner. You can have your bail out algorithm be VPM or GF, regardless of what profile you are actively diving. So you could be running GF 25/85 as your main profile, and bailout 1 could be VPM +3 and bailout 2 could be VPM +0. If you so chose.

All other functions and features of Multi-Deco looks and functions exactly like V-Planer Live.

So far, it seems worth the $50 upgrade fee, if for nothing else, the new PO2 display is nice.

Apprentice Meg Pilot kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu's Avatar
    Megalodon APECS 2.7

Re: Multi-Deco on the X1 - brief review

Does the dive logging upload work the same?

Closed Account anton610 is an unknown quantity at this point anton610's Avatar

Hello,

what do you mean with "forever minute at your last stop"?

Regards Anton

Apprentice Meg Pilot kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu's Avatar
    Megalodon APECS 2.7

I could be wrong but appears to be self-explanatory:

"Mine showed one minute of deco remaining for the last 12 minutes of my dive" - of course it could be he wasn't holding the precise required depth but from 1 minutes to 12 minutes is a big difference.

RBW Member sherwood is an unknown quantity at this point sherwood's Avatar
    rEvo II Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Tienuts  View Original Post
    When diving GF, it does the old "forever 1 minute at your last stop," routine. Mine showed one minute of deco remaining for the last 12 minutes of my dive.
    In the 3+ years of using a Shearwater with GF I can't say I have ever run into the "forever 1 minute at your last stop" anomaly. Not sure what that could be.

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Sorry, thought it was more common knowledge....

On the Hammerheads when I had my optima, when it reached 1 minute of deco remaining at your final stop, it would keep displaying that one minute forever. I have never seen this in a Shearwater.

In this case while running 25/85, it showed my last stop as 20 feet, and it showed the 1 minute remaining for at least 12 minutes.

Several RBW threads on the subject if you look. I think the answer had something to do with the way the algorithm is calculated, and truthfully it's not a big deal. The X1 never did this with VPM though.

Quote Originally Posted by kieranu  View Original Post
    Does the dive logging upload work the same?
    Yes, everything else is identical to V-Planner - the operation, menus, etc... It is Ross' software, although for reasons I can't figure out, he seems to be trying to keep it separated from V-Planer.

This is a shot of the new PO2 layout, which is much nicer than before....

Last edited by Tienuts; 11th May 2010 at 13:58.

RBW Member soggy bottom is an unknown quantity at this point soggy bottom's Avatar

I recently started using Multi-Deco on my X-1 and have noticed the delay on the final deco minute(s). The EOD does update during the extended stop to reflect the added time.
    Don't have the X-link on mine but considering it especially after seeing your display. Thanks for the photo.
    Neal

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by sherwood  View Original Post
    In the 3+ years of using a Shearwater with GF I can't say I have ever run into the "forever 1 minute at your last stop" anomaly. Not sure what that could be.
    Its an abnormality created by the GF alg waiting for the last stop to exactly clear.. There are ways to artifically get around this so it appears that the last minute truely cleared, my guess is that SW does this as its not really an issue clearing the last minute.. What basically happens is that as you approach the surface the current GF you use is based on your current depth, the GF at the next stop is actually greater than the current stop, so the truest implementation (true to baker's model not intention) forces you to clear at the current level, where the projection TTS uses the actual surface value like a table generator.. Thats why just ascending a foot or 2 above the 10ft stop will almost immedialy clear the stop... If you look at the limits in real time you see that alot of time your artifical celing is around 1m, by the time you do clear it, and break the 10ft stop you are in reality cleared to some altitude....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

+ Reply to Thread