+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hydro Atlantic Trip Report 5/8/2010

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Hydro Atlantic Trip Report 5/8/2010

The weather and seas were about as beautiful as a diver could want for a light technical dive this morning.

When I got to the dock, Jeff already had his boat there and tied off. Daniele was her usual cheery self as she was running around in her skimpy bikini.

We got my gear loaded and my truck parked and the adventure began. We headed out to one of our favorite dive sites, the Hydro Atlantic. Capt. Oliver of Avid Divers was already anchored on the wreck and it took us a couple of tries to catch the wreck ourselves. Once we were sure that the anchor was hooked we began to gear up and hang tanks and scooters over the side.

Daniele went in first and waited for us at the anchor line. It was a hot day to be donning a drysuit and we all splashed in to get wet and cool down before the final step. We all descended together and made sure that the anchor was secure before going about our dive. Jeff and myself scootered around and Daniele took pictures. At one point, Jeff pointed down to the sand at a shark. Of course, I had to immediately descend and check out the thing. I saw Olivers anchor laying in the sand but I never saw them the entire dive.

I did learn that with the new batteries in my scooter that it is now too negative and I need to remove some weight. The MAV on my rEVo (thanks to curt) is a very sweet little device when scootering. I haven't even used the rear mounted buttons since I installed the MAV.

We went in and out and around and just did some practice stuff for me to get some time on the scooter in preparation for using it in the caves in the future. I am not quite ready for that step yet. OK, maybe pretty close to being there.

Daniele and Jeff went up about 10 minutes before I did. We did all the communications prior to them starting up and it was discussed prior to the dive. It is not like they left me there by myself, well yes it is, but with my prior approval.

When it was time for me to come up, I unkooked the anchor and swam it out to the side of the wreck and dropped it in the sand. I began my ascent and did my deco. I had 45min bottom time and had 45min of deco to do. During my deco, I had to fight off a remora a couple of times. Jeff cleared deco several minutes before me and waved goodbye and we "OKed" when he went up to the boat. Daniele snorkeled down to pester me and say "Hi" when I was at 15'. I swam off the anchor line and went to the equipment line to finish deco. I hung one of my tanks and my scooter in preparation to board.

It was a strange sight to see the anchor being pulled up right in front of my eyes. At least my plan worked and I didn't have to do it!

After getting onboard and pulling the gear and ladder in, we headed back in to the dock. We ate the subs that "somebody" graciously supplied and had a nice ride back in.

Temp at 15' was 80 degree
    Temp in the engine room was 65 degree
    Temp at 150' was 78 degree
    Current on the surface was almost nothing
    Current on the wreck was a little bit stronger
    Vis was probably around 30-40' with lots of particulate
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

Re: Hydro Atlantic Trip Report 5/8/2010

Really great dive today! Fantastic to get back into the ocean with such nice conditions. Tomorrow, Don and i on the Lowrance!

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Sounds like the same conditions last time we visited the wreck togeather. Looking forward to the next visit.

Don with a scooter......

John

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    Sounds like the same conditions last time we visited the wreck togeather. Looking forward to the next visit.

Don with a scooter......

John
    Scary thought, eh John? here are a couple of pics my wife took on the wreck today.
    Attached Images

RBW Member MICHAL will become famous soon enough MICHAL will become famous soon enough MICHAL will become famous soon enough MICHAL's Avatar
    rEvomicronaut:)&OCsidemounther

Nice write-up Don
    Michal

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by swadiver  View Original Post
    here are a couple of pics my wife took on the wreck today.
    Glad you guys made it out today and got some nice conditions.

Nice shots Daniele!

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Danielle is getting pretty good with that camera.

+ Reply to Thread