+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CO2 and near death experiences

Normal people worry me jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap's Avatar

CO2 and near death experiences

A new paper on the subject:

http://ccforum.com/content/pdf/cc8952.pdf

Carbon dioxide may explain 'near death experiences'

It does not establish a conclusive link to CO2 as the sole factor but I think it could be interesting for rebreather divers anyway.

Although my own experience with a few nasty CO2 hits on rebreathers never produced anything like the rather peaceful "life review" snapshots that I once experienced as I passed out entangled in the rigging of an upturned sailboat.

My layman thinking is that CO2 might be a contributing factor for near death experiences, but rather in a combination with say a dangerously low po2 situation.

Its also interesting to note the rather "low" petCO2 values they recorded (~5-6 kPa). Although its not an apples to apples situation to compare between persons in cardiac arrest (no work so CO2 should drop) and the petCO2 of a rebreather diver. Anyhow to me the reported values do look low compared to those that a rebreather diver might encounter (I'm refering to the fairly recent RBW-discussions on exhaled CO2 measurment and limits).

/Anders

New Member Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell's Avatar

Re: CO2 and near death experiences

Hi Anders,

This is a strange study in my view, and I am somewhat surprised it has been accepted for publication. The notion that an event (the NDE) whose occurrence cannot be timed precisely can be correlated against a CO2 level measured at some later point in time is tenuous at best, especially when it is considered that the measured CO2 is highly dependent on the adequacy of ventilation occurring at the precise point in time when it is measured. I imagine the authors would probably say that the fact that CO2 was higher in the NDE group irrespective of when it was measured still requires explanation. But this could easily relate to some other phenomenon which might be more important in determining occurrence of a NDE, such as the quality of resuscitation and ventilation.

Anyway, I don't think you can infer much of relevance to rebreather diving from this study. In particular, there is nothing here that informs the debate about CO2 limits.

Simon M

+ Reply to Thread