+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stands\Supports, Disc Herniations...

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Stands\Supports, Disc Herniations...

So, for the past 4-5 months or so I've taken a hit in the frequency of diving. First recent occurrence was during Monkey's Cay Sal trip. Not sure what kicked it off, but my back was killing me... A quick trip to an Urgent Care, some steroids and naproxin and I was 'good as new'.

Fast forward a few months, loading up for a full day on the water in December, and I slipped at the dock. Caught myself, but really torqued something up. Then went on to a full day of some pretty strenuous diving - currents were ripping... Next morning I was a crooked as a branch, hunched over to the side. Spent a month trying to figure things out with Urgent Care's (hight of Holiday season, travel, etc) who suggested Bursitis - more Naproxin and Steroid packs. Finally went to an Ortho, who after a visit or two; ordered up an Xrays, MRI, and diagnosed as Sciatica. I'd be hunched over for 60-120 minutes in the morning, stretching things out, then relatively fine the rest of the day.

3 caudal epidural steroid injections later, quite a bit of PT and I'm at the point where I can just about stand straight first thing in the morning. Doing lots of ab workouts to strengthen my core, and things are moving in the right direction.

I was able to get out this past Saturday afternoon, and after the first dive, I could feel the strain taking its toll during the SI. I'm typically a flat horizontal trim, sometimes head down. I've been making a point to elevate my rig, using a pelican box, so I don't "crouch" under to stress the lower back when donning, and I started to remember the little plastic "slide" on the few rEvo's I've seen, and began to wonder if a permanent stand, which would provide something to prevent my back\ass from over arching, might be in order....

Was wondering if someone might have some educated thoughts on whats going on, and why these supports 'help'...

-Tim

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Re: Stands\Supports, Disc Herniations...

I can't give any kind of answers for you. I just wanted to tell you that I would definitely get some good back pains if I forgot to pull down the plastic back support on my rEvo. With the plate extended there ws never any pain at all.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Before the new frame for the Optima (which is a pretty good height), I built an elevator that worked pretty well as far as my back and shoulders go. You are welcome to give it a try.

The second thing I would suggest is to try a Transpac or Transplate set up. Everyone that makes the switch seems to say that it makes gearing up (especially) much easier on the back, neck and shoulders.

Smeagle-the dive carnival otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround's Avatar
    Ouroboros

O2ptima

I swear by the transpack set-up! The Nomad wing also provides some nice back/ a$$ buoyancy to make things easier. Back pain always seemed to attack after a lot of long diving.

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

I would recommend learning some Yoga to practice a bit before diving to help keep limber... Massage and Acupuncture are a helpful drug-less option for back pain in particular as well. If it were me, I'd rely on the "big guns" (meds) judiciously... most of them have a reputation for rotting your gut over time if used too often.

If you are using the standard meg harness, that could be your problem...compared to something like the transpac its like the difference between sleeping on the floor and sleeping on a tempur-pedic! IMHO, don't listen to anyone who try's and makes you feel like a woosey for using a "fru fru" pack, let them wear their own hair shirt.

Frames also help distribute the weight across your back, sparing the low back from hyper extending. Avoiding the downward spiral of nerve inflammation and muscular splinting sometimes comes down to simple adjustments.

IMHO, hand off more of your gear before coming up the ladder... and lug it in smaller increments... if your back is tight from the dive, you can really tweak it getting out of the water with a lot of gear on or lugging too much at a time.

I've suffered from low back pain most of my life due to multiple horse back riding and motorcycle accidents. I've ended at least a few dives barely able to walk when i've pushed it too hard, it's no fun.

cheers,
    g

g

Gill Envy

It's Hammertime! Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Megalodon, Inspiration

This is solely the only reason why I still keep my Narked at 90 stand. Every time I take it off, my lower back just kills me.
    Hammerhead CCR Instructor
    Hammerhead Repair Facility
    Golem Gear Dealer
    www.silentthrill.com

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Envy  View Original Post
    Frames also help distribute the weight across your back, sparing the low back from hyper extending. Avoiding the downward spiral of nerve inflammation and muscular splinting sometimes comes down to simple adjustments.

IMHO, hand off more of your gear before coming up the ladder... and lug it in smaller increments... if your back is tight from the dive, you can really tweak it getting out of the water with a lot of gear on or lugging too much at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawel Szopinski  View Original Post
    This is solely the only reason why I still keep my Narked at 90 stand. Every time I take it off, my lower back just kills me.
    Bailout gets handed up these days.... and I have a N@90 stand en route, going to give that another try...

It's Hammertime! Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Megalodon, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by netmage  View Original Post
    Bailout gets handed up these days.... and I have a N@90 stand en route, going to give that another try...
    Another way is getting a taller can from Leon which resets on your butt as well instead of the lower back and supports stages on the bench.
    Hammerhead CCR Instructor
    Hammerhead Repair Facility
    Golem Gear Dealer
    www.silentthrill.com

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

I’m too am a strong believer that the taller you are, the more important a stand becomes to prevent back pain. I’ve had a ‘trick’ back ever since an ugly trampoline accident while a teenager. When I added a stand to my standard height Meg, back pain became a thing of the past. As the others say, proper height stands change where the weight of the rig bears from the small of the back- right where my nerve pinch happens- the top part of your butt, where most of us have amble ‘padding’.

Ken
    Last edited by Skipbreather; 6th April 2010 at 15:36.

I Make Stuff! sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail's Avatar
    KISS Classic

This is one of teh main reasons I made my own design stand.
    (Nothing out there had all the features I wanted)

I haven't gone without a stand since my first couple of training dives. Not only was the back pain a, well, pain, (sorry for the pun) but gearing up with (usually) short tables/shelves/walls/rocks/whatever I could find would also cause a lot of pain and awkwardness.

+ Reply to Thread