+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Far and Away the Coolest Thing at BTS

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Re: Far and Away the Coolest Thing at BTS

Quote Originally Posted by barney  View Original Post
    Sorry kids - someone forgot a zero.
    It's $120,000 (per Joey)....
    Someone always has to come along and spoil it!!!!!

Regards,

Lance

RBW Member PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2's Avatar

Hello,

Oh great. I was hoping I was the only person who noted the price at the presentation and could sneak up and get two before anyone else found out. Guess that isn't going to happen now.

I can't believe the price either. Somewhere there has to be a misunderstanding.

On the other hand, the rebreather is really simply -- as Joe pointed out. Simply circulate the air through the scrubber with a fan. Emergency mode is a aviator-style mask to manually push the gas through the scrubber. The entire O2 addition scheme is a bellows pushing against an O2 add valve -- when the gas in the suit decreases in volume with O2 consumption the bellows expands, hits an add valve and injects O2 until the bellows compresses again. No electronics needed as there is no requirement to monitor/adjust the gas composition. As long as you can add O2 you know you're good to go. One gas, one tank, one simple gas addition system.

So the feature list is:

** a super simple O2 rebreather.

** No electronics to fail.

** Simple fan motor with manual backup.

** No monitoring of breathing gas required.

** Emergency accent immediately to the surface.

** hours and hours of bottom time at 600 feet

** No decompression.

** REALLY impressive suit!

** Priced at less than a top of the line eCCR.

Where is the fun in all that?

Sincerely,

Paul
    Paul's first law states that the safety of an activity is determined by how forgiving of mistakes the activity is.

Paul's second law states that the difference between an adventurer and an explorer is whether the doing or the learning comes first.

"Don't be surprised if at the center of every hurricane in your life is an "I"." --paul gernhardt

Dive Deep and Dive Long Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf's Avatar
    rEvo

I was going to say120k last time I read anything on them. This will be real nice for commercial work. A Newt suit currently is over a mill.

RBW Member PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2's Avatar

Oh well...

Although -- that still doesn't completely rule out getting one. It is a heck of a way to dive. Definitely worth as much as a plane. Say, 5 hours on the Andrea Doria and back on the boat in five minutes. Drop a semi trailer beside the wreck and load it up, should pay for itself in a couple dives. :D

Sincerely,

Paul
    Paul's first law states that the safety of an activity is determined by how forgiving of mistakes the activity is.

Paul's second law states that the difference between an adventurer and an explorer is whether the doing or the learning comes first.

"Don't be surprised if at the center of every hurricane in your life is an "I"." --paul gernhardt

Submerge Productions PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver's Avatar

Hmmmm - a couple of those suits and you can do some really interesting projects.

RBW Member colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Inspiration Vision, rEvo II Hy

Didn't one of the presenters (Paul somebody?) try one of these or similar on the "Oceans" tv series ?

Blinded with science... deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

MK15.5, MK15

Quote Originally Posted by robinfante  View Original Post
    Those of us lucky enough to catch Joe Dituri's talk... [/URL]
    Wow... Joe Dituri. An old friend I haven't seen in years. He was my PADI AOW instructor in 1993 when we were NROTC students together at U. of South Carolina. He went Navy and I didn't. I remember him telling me about Navy EOD MK-series RB's back then. I had no idea I'd own a few one day...

Such is my point of view 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned's Avatar

Nice thing there.
    Hope they have an air-filter in there. 48 hours in a poop-suit? I guess the air might get a bit stale.
    Weight adjustments? (big diver - small diver) (tools)
    Perhaps the rebreather telescopes out to reveal the lifting bladders for rapid ascent.
    Ultimate shark-suit.

RBW Member Timw is an unknown quantity at this point Timw's Avatar
    Megalodon

$120k.... I could just about live with that

But... I'd have to buy a bigger boat - not sure the wife would go along with that as well

RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2stoned  View Original Post
    Hope they have an air-filter in there. 48 hours in a poop-suit? I guess the air might get a bit stale.
    Activated charcoal filters (the suit is 1 Atm).

Quote Originally Posted by 2stoned  View Original Post
    Ultimate shark-suit.
    Why would sharkes need a suit?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast