+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BTS ... Nothing Cool?

BTS ... Nothing Cool?

Where's the BTS report? I thought some new things might be introduced.

No response from Liquivision on Shearwater's new one-upmanship?

What about ISC's new stuff? Any info? When available?

Any new cool stuff?

Is nothing new under the sun?

RBW Member Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen's Avatar

Re: BTS ... Nothing Cool?

You're not just a little inpatient now are you?? The show only ended a couple of hours ago. WOW!

RBW Member Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge's Avatar
    rEvo II

Evolution

Well, I don't know about the one-upmanship, but I can tell you some of the highlights for me were...

Dr. Marv Gozum's presentation on the DIY doppler use. A revolutionary way to use over-the counter doppler kits to monitor pre and post dive bubbling to adjust personal dive program/computer conservatism settings. Later Marvin presented on the individual resistance to bubble formation, and explained how some individuals seem to be immune to getting bent, while others seem to be prone to it.

Joel Silverstein's and Capt. Kathy Weydig's presentation on oxygen toxicity management, with footage of a real incident. They provided some insights of incident management, chopper evacuation, hyperbaric chamber use, and ox/tox prevention techniques.

And of course, seeing old friends, and meeting new ones. It was a great show this year.

Some of the many stars of the show...

Paul and Dave:

Jason Fisch of the Scuba Connection DIVESeekers.com Call us Toll Free 888-728-2247:

Thanks Curt for a cool RBW t-shirt!

Supporting Member kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone's Avatar
    Classic Kiss Hammerhead

Sport Kiss Hammerhead

Quote Originally Posted by UWSojourner  View Original Post
    Where's the BTS report? I thought some new things might be introduced.

No response from Liquivision on Shearwater's new one-upmanship?

What about ISC's new stuff? Any info? When available?

Any new cool stuff?

Is nothing new under the sun?
    The color Predator was cool but no new info that wasn't mentioned here already.
    Ted Greens Hammer Head rEvo was at the ANDI booth, and I liked the idea of tapping a orifice into inlet elbow of the solenoid to make it a hybrid in about 20 minutes.
    The new MAV valve from ISC is very tiny and very cool and comes it a hi flow
    DIL version and a low flow O2 version with a orifice they had to be around 1 1/4" square.
    sorry for not taking pics.
    K

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

I was sick, and had to miss the show. I'm still sick, and scanning RBW while my ears buzz and ring in-between me coughing up something horrible.

Sorry to everyone who I had meetings scheduled with! And Thanks to Ted Green, Mark Nix and all my pals who showed off our stuff even though I wasn't there!

I WILL be at DEMA, even if I have to drag myself there!

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine & Hospice Care Center...

RBW Member nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Some cool stuff-

Halcyon is now marketing their version of a SUEX scooter and an LED canister light. The scooter is a huge departure from the "Gavin with SLA only" mentality from before. A nice looking scooter with some very interesting features. Very cool

I saw the KISS MAV and new BOV as well as the KISS Explorer in real life. I will be purchasing the MAV as soon as I get home. The BOV looked very nice but since I just got a GG getting the new KISS one isn't in the books for now. Very cool.

I liked the 2X50W HID video light system that Light Monkey had at the show so much that I bought it. Thanks to Corey and Joel for making a quality product. Beyond cool.

The guy with the furs and tights-not so cool. Well actually it was cool. I'm just jealous I would never be able to pull that look off.

I was there every day and didn't make a single talk. So that's not cool but that's just because the trade show was so cool.

Oh and the Z1U and Amphibico housing I picked up from Liquid Productions is going to produce some uber cool footage.
    Last edited by nadwidny; 29th March 2010 at 01:51.

Diving Technologist JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba's Avatar
    KISS Classic # 275

MK15, Draeger, TheKyle-CCR

Well the coolest thing at the show was my daugther Jane being the first kid to present at BTS. On Sunday morning she presented in the Ocean Pals Theatre to about 50 kids and adults - "USS Monitor - A Kid's Perspective of a Dive Expedition"

The other very cool thing was Leon's new mini recreational rebreather. Small canister, 2 6 cuft bottles, over-the-shoulder CLs ..... this machine was the bomb. For shallow 30 msw and less this unit should probably become your fun rebreather. He said it should be in production within about 60 days.

Cheers
    JDS

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

For me this show didn't have a whole lot of new and exciting products to look at.... There seemed to be more Travel & Resort booths and less product and manufacturers to look at, which is understandable in this economy. For me the show is more about touching base with old and new friends, putting hands on equipment, learning about products I was unfamiliar with, and attending a few seminars. I had a checklist of products I wanted to take a close look at, and the show enabled me to do that.

I personally feel that slow economy had an effect on both the mood of the people at the show and the exhibitor inventories. Just my opinion...

Richie

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Quote Originally Posted by diverreb  View Original Post
    For me this show didn't have a whole lot of new and exciting products to look at.... There seemed to be more Travel & Resort booths and less product and manufacturers to look at, which is understandable in this economy. For me the show is more about touching base with old and new friends, putting hands on equipment, learning about products I was unfamiliar with, and attending a few seminars. I had a checklist of products I wanted to take a close look at, and the show enabled me to do that.

I personally feel that slow economy had an effect on both the mood of the people at the show and the exhibitor inventories. Just my opinion...

Richie
    I agree with you Richie. Didn't see a lot new of anything. Silent Submersion's new Magnus scooter looked pretty cool, but other than that, it was pretty much the same stuff we saw at DEMA. It was great to catch up with old and new friends however!

Regards,
    Randy

Closed Account onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime's Avatar

I think the most telling thing to me was the attitude at the KISS booth. Kim talked a lot about the changes they've accomplished and the openness for change. She asked for my opinions on things to change, the biggest to me is the lack of a stand since the unit just sits too low on benches for me. In past visits there didn't seem to be as much willingness to change the products. I liked the new BOV but not sure that it's worth the upgrade cost to me. I've already added a Scubapro 2nd stage to mine so the big positive of the BOV (better breathing reg) doesn't hold for my case.

I only got to attend Friday night and Saturday morning so I didn't get all the answers/do all the things I would have liked. I stopped by the ISC booth but the lady there (Leon's wife I think?) didn't have much info on The Predator and no one else was there to answer them so that was a little disappointing.

Love the look of the Shearwater Predator but the GF I have is meeting all my needs so no reason to upgrade yet.

Stopped by the Diveseekers booth a couple of times trying to thank Jason Fisch in person for loaning me his personal hoses to do some Florida dives the other month but he was presenting when I stopped once and then off at other booths the other two times I stopped by.

Seminars I attended (forgive me if I get the names of them a little wrong, just going from memory):

Steve Lewis's deco on the fly. Awesome, awesome, awesome. When his book comes out I'm buying it.

Safety improvements in Rebreathers: Mark Nix did a great job discussing the history of rebreather manufacturing and what the future may hold. Perhaps I wasn't the right audience for it since there wasn't anything new to me discussed though. Finding the "Rebreather Room" for the presentation was a bit challenging, BTS could have done a much better job pointing people in the right direction. I stopped by the BTS booth and none of the people behind the table had a clue. Stopped a couple of people with BTS tags on their jackets and they were clueless as well. Thankfully a random person near one of the other rooms was able to help me.

Mako and Blue sharks: Glad the presenter shared so many movie clips but it only lasted about 35 minutes.

I stopped by Conch republic divers and met with Capt Gary. As many already know they support rebreather divers by carrying sorb and he's got a Haskel booster for O2. They also do some dives that they call "double dips" where the boat stays in one spot. They can be mixed boat dives (OC and CCR) and RB divers can simply do one single long dive while the OC divers do two shorter ones.

As others have said there seemed to be a lot of travel booths, more than usual in my opinion.