Closed Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast

Thread: UTD mCCR1 Class report, San Diego, March 2010

UTD Poster Child Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose's Avatar

UTD mCCR1 Class report, San Diego, March 2010

Just finished the UTD mCCR1 class in San Diego with Andrew Georgitsis.

This class is a recreational certification (130 feet, no mandatory deco, 32% and 25/25 only). Later classes add the training & skills for more technical dives.

The class format consists of (in addition to lectures on diving, assembling, breaking down the unit)

- 240 minutes of pool time
    - 240 minutes of skills dives in open water
    - 240 minutes of experience dives in open water

The MC90 is based on a Meg CCR, but with certain differences needed to adapt it to the "DIR" system.

- The main difference in configuration is that bailout is carried on the back in a set of doubles (with right/left post and isolators) and is planned in accordance with DIR standard "rock bottom/minimum gas" methods (slightly changed for Rebreather diving in some cases). This gas also act as diluent
    - There is a BOV, accessible via a lever on the mouthpiece that instantly switches the diver over to an OC second stage off of the left post
    - Standard DIR 7ft long hose is available on the right post and is donatable just as in Open Circuit
    - O2 is offboard (either a slung AL40 or a smaller tank rigged like a standard Argon bottle)

Day 1: The first day consisted of lectures, CCR theory & operation and in particular the MC-series manual CCRs, followed by deco and minimum gas disucssions, and discussion of the order of priorities of CCR diving, and unit build and breakdown.

Day 2: This consisted of 120 minutes in the pool just trying to get our buoyancy, trim and kicks squared away. No drills were presented. At first, it was incredibly challenging, especially since we were in only 9 feet of water. By the end of the session I thought I was getting it, but I was messing with my wing and drysuit way too much and not focusing on the counter lungs enough.

Day 3: We have some time to get ourselves settled again (this was a common theme of each dive session) before performing the "Basic 6" (which when andrew explained it to us sounded more like the basic 40)

The CCR basic 6 is analagous to the UTD basic 6 in Open Circuit diving, except modified for CCR.

This consists of. Switch CC to OC and back, switch regulators (CC to long hose) and back, Modified S-drill (donate the long hose), clearing water from the loop (3 ways), mask flood, mask remove and replace

These skills all have to be done off the bottom, neutral, but of course this was quite a challenge in the pool and we knew we'd have to improve over the coming days.

Andrew had each of us do the entire basic 6 while he filmed us, one skill at a time. Video review is a fundamental facet of UTD training and can really show weaknesses and what needs to be improved.

The pool session ended up with some S-drills (sharing gas), first with Andrew and then with each other.

Day 4: This was our first ocean dive. Andrew told us we had 60 mins (1/2 the dive) to acclimatize, followed by once more going over the basic 6 and S and valve drills.

Conditions were horrid with maybe 5-8 feet of vis and plenty of surge, which didn't help but by the end of the dive, we had pretty much gotten though all of it except the final S and valve drills (as I was low on O2)

We decamped for yet more lectures and video reviews.

Day 5: Once more at the ocean. This time Andrew took us down to 100 feet and had us ascend up a nice slope to the shallows, to give us some practice managing our buoyancy, before finishing up the S and Valve drills.

This was followed by a (not very impressive) blue-water ascent.

We had then elected to dive for a further hour to try and finish up in 6 days not 7, by doing 3 hours the following day. This extra hour was mostly spent practicing ascents.

Day 6: Once again back to the ocean, practice swimming and buoyancy and once more down to 100 feet, then more work on free ascents.

By the end of this session we had all made vast improvements but definitely still have a long long way to go to get proficient.

The class was an awesome experience. Andrew is a great instructor, the class is broken down into building blocks that lead up to the final skills, and Andrew knows just how hard and fast to push to ensure that you are continually challenged but not pushed so far that you stop learning.

Thanks to Andrew for the experience and my buddies John and Jeff for being so supportive and really acting together as a team in all aspects.
    Last edited by Linda Bowen; 22nd March 2010 at 00:15.

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Re: UTD mCCR1 Class report, San Diego, March 2010

Interesting, a couple of questions if you dont mind...

1. Could you list what feeds are coming off each 1st stage.
    2. How does donation work, if you're hog looped. I assume you come off the loop to donate and jump onto a necklacked shorthose?
    3. What were the recommended dils for the course?

Thanks...

RBW Member Jeff Seckendorf will become famous soon enough Jeff Seckendorf will become famous soon enough Jeff Seckendorf will become famous soon enough Jeff Seckendorf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EBT  View Original Post
    Interesting, a couple of questions if you dont mind...

1. Could you list what feeds are coming off each 1st stage.
    2. How does donation work, if you're hog looped. I assume you come off the loop to donate and jump onto a necklacked shorthose?
    3. What were the recommended dils for the course?

Thanks...
    The first stages are set up just like standard doubles regs - right post is long hose, LP to the wing, LP to dil inject. Left post is BOV, SPG, dry suit (if no argon).

Donation is much like a standard s-drill - you flip the lever to go to the BOV, unclip the long hose, lift the loop and donate, return to BOV. Both divers are now on open circuit. Then complete the process - deploy the long hose, etc., and the donor then has the option to switch back to CC, then exit.

Dil is standard UTD bottom gases - 32, 25/25, 21/35, 18/45, etc. Choose the dil for the dive, same as OC, so it's always breatheable. O2 is offboard in a slung AL40 and can be used as a deco gas in case of bailout. I think Nick mentioned in his earlier post that there is also an option for O2 to be in a 6 or 14 cft bottle attached to the rig for recreational depths.

Jeff

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Thanks Jeff, Im assuming the adv/manual dil are split across the first stages?

RBW Member Jeff Seckendorf will become famous soon enough Jeff Seckendorf will become famous soon enough Jeff Seckendorf will become famous soon enough Jeff Seckendorf's Avatar

There is no ADV in the system, everything is manual add (except the COPIS does add a very small amount of O2, although it can be isolated).

Dil comes from the right post. If the dil injector fails, it can be isolated at the injector. If the right post fails, dil can be added either by connecting to an off board source or taking a breath from the BOV and adding that to the loop.

Jeff

UTD Poster Child Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose is just really nice Nick Ambrose's Avatar

No ADV. Manual dil only.

I think Jeff covered the other areas for me :)

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by limeyx  View Original Post
    No ADV. Manual dil only.

I think Jeff covered the other areas for me :)
    So let me get this right

No ADV, manual add only....

So when your dragging yourself down a anchor line in a ripping current, instead of bottoming out your loop and manually activating a ADV by negative volume pressure you now have to remove a hand from the line, cameras, tools, etc. Hold extra tight with your other hand and leg wrapped around the rope and find the ad button, press it until the loop volume returns to breathable, drag yourself down the line more, stop and repeat the process about 6 more times before hitting the wreck.

Maybe I am missing why they choose not to incorporate a simple ADV to solve descent problems.....

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    So let me get this right

So when your dragging yourself down a anchor line in a ripping current, instead of bottoming out your loop and manually activating a ADV by negative volume pressure you now have to remove a hand from the line, cameras, tools, etc. Hold extra tight with your other hand and leg wrapped around the rope and find the ad button, press it until the loop volume returns to breathable, drag yourself down the line more, stop and repeat the process about 6 more times before hitting the wreck.

Maybe I am missing why they choose not to incorporate a simple ADV to solve descent problems.....
    Well, on the other hand, what if the ADV starts to inject gas uncontrollably as you are descending, or maybe you are ascending on a bag, and now suddenly you have a major buoyancy issue.

On descent, I would clip off anything that interfered with my ability to add diluent, or control my buoyancy or O2 so I have enough hands free.

RBW Member cadblaster3 will become famous soon enough cadblaster3 will become famous soon enough cadblaster3 will become famous soon enough cadblaster3 will become famous soon enough cadblaster3's Avatar
    Inspiration, Micro rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    So let me get this right

+1

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by limeyx  View Original Post
    Well, on the other hand, what if the ADV starts to inject gas uncontrollably as you are descending, or maybe you are ascending on a bag, and now suddenly you have a major buoyancy issue.

On descent, I would clip off anything that interfered with my ability to add diluent, or control my buoyancy or O2 so I have enough hands free.
    Yes a simple M&J on off switch on the adv hose solves all these problems.
    You obviously do not carry heavy camera or video gear or ever think that someday you maybe to task loaded to remove a hand from something.
    Last edited by Curt Bowen; 22nd March 2010 at 01:33.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast