+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Agency choice and helium in 1st CCR class

New Member ameirowi is an unknown quantity at this point ameirowi's Avatar

Agency choice and helium in 1st CCR class

I am a rebreather novice and rebreather world newbie with classic Kiss on order-

I have a fair amount of OC trimix experience and training, and noticed that IANTD's first Kiss class allows use of normoxic mix for dil and the TDI standards don't seem to allow this (I have gone through the TDI manual and it doesn't speak to this point at all). My newbie view is that I will want a fair amount of experience between mod 1 and a mix ccr class but that using normoxic mixes as a dil for dives in the 100-150 ranges while getting the experience and having fun makes a lot of sense. If this is correct the TDI standards seem suboptimal.

Any reactions/corrections to this.

Thanks
    A

Bubbless Box of Death Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis's Avatar

Re: Agency choice and helium in 1st CCR class

IMHO as a gasbag novice as well but with significant deep-diving experience, you're simply nuts NOT to dive with normoxic Trimix originally on a RB.

The ONLY argument for not using Trimix below 80-100' is, in fact, an analysis that has a cost component in it.

With a RB that issue disappears as the cost differential is now literally a buck or two at most.

I believe you've got it right, but that you are being quite kind about using the phrase "sub-optimal"......

Meg dealer / IT MikeNetto will become famous soon enough MikeNetto will become famous soon enough MikeNetto will become famous soon enough MikeNetto's Avatar
    Meg, Pathfinder, Sentinel, MK6

Optima and Inspiration

Hello guys,

Just remember; the IANTD standard say:
    "You can do the CCR MOD 1 course using He mixes but based on the Adv. Recreational Trimix diver standards and it limit you to a maximum depth of 150ft/45m and a minimum of 28% of O2 on the mix".
    Cheers,

Mike - www.protecdiving.com

Bubbless Box of Death Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikedive
    Hello guys,

"You can do the CCR MOD 1 course using He mixes but based on the Adv. Recreational Trimix diver standards and it limit you to a maximum depth of 150ft/45m and a minimum of 28% of O2 on the mix".
    Cheers,

150' on 28%? You be brave my friend; that's beyond the O2% I'd run at that depth.....

O2ptima Test Dummy
    JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikedive
    Hello guys,

Cheers,

You can use 21/15 or 21/30 the 28% doesn't apply to CCR and the depth limit is now 160ft. The 1.0 max dilent po2 at deepest depth over rides the 28%.

A Prismer in Megland Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear's Avatar

My guess is that it says 28% to allow for FiO2 drop when doing SCR drills at the surface during the class. Ok, fair enough for the class...albeit a tad unrealistic.

In the real world, if you were under my supervision I would support you diving normoxic mix within the limits of your MOD1 cert and your personal limitations.

Under your own cognizance, do whatever you want. I do. The net-nannies haven't got to me yet.

New Member ameirowi is an unknown quantity at this point ameirowi's Avatar

Thanks for the clarrificaiton on IANTD. 21/15 or 21/30 seem like fine choices. Does anyone here have experience with this being allowed in TDI mod 1 courses?

New Member Rich Sawkins will become famous soon enough Rich Sawkins will become famous soon enough Rich Sawkins will become famous soon enough Rich Sawkins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ameirowi
    Thanks for the clarrificaiton on IANTD. 21/15 or 21/30 seem like fine choices. Does anyone here have experience with this being allowed in TDI mod 1 courses?
    I think you'll find it's a complete NO NO ....

http://www.tdisdi.com.au/tdi_course.php

When I did mine is was specifically AIR dil, 40M max.

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ameirowi
    Mod 1 is a non-deco course based on learing to use the rebreather.
    Do it on air. You don't need to go deep enough to care about 'mix.
    You are doing lots of ways a rebreather can fail and how to survive them.
    I never went below 20m but spending 45 minutes at a time driving the thing manually and getting flash-carded with faults was hard work.
    Get the knowledge. Shake hands.
    Go home and put mix in it.
    Go dive and relearn buoyancy so it just works again.

I dived 'mix before I did the next level course because I nark badly.

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    IMHO as a gasbag novice as well but with significant deep-diving experience, you're simply nuts NOT to dive with normoxic Trimix originally on a RB.
    Playing Devils advocate why are you nuts?

I don't dive with Trimix all the time on a RB, neither does Leon, Bruce, Ron, Sarah, Stefan - I could go on....

There are advantages and disadvantages - In blue water fluffy diving abroad I really dont have a problem diving on air as a DIL. To be honest for fluffy dives in this country I am not overly concerned either.

The pluses are it can and does give you a clearer head when you get over 100 foot, sub 100 foot I realy dont notice a jot of difference and to be honest in blue water it is really only 130 plus foot that I would consider it

The negatives are, it is addtional cost in both time and cash in preparing for a dive, it can complicate your decompression and He can be hard to lay your hands on.

It could also complicate things if you have a repid ascent as a learner.

Plus if some one had not dived trimix before why complicate things with additional forumlae and theory to learn etc.

My biggest fear though is that iwith He in the mix it WILL tempt new divers into going deeper then they would on air when they do not have the hours yet on the unit to be ready for it.

Stuart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast