View Poll Results: Spherasorb Poll

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use Spherasorb on a regular basis

55 50.93%
  • No, I don´t use that stuff

27 25.00%
  • I would only consider using it if nothing else is available.

19 17.59%
  • This is medical stuff, no way I would ever use it

5 4.63%
  • I have used it in the past and had a bad experience with it, so no more Spherasorb for me.

2 1.85%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Spherasorb Poll

RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar

Re: Spherasorb Poll

Quote Originally Posted by RedSeaDiver  View Original Post
    Which Spherasorb are people using - the white turns to violet or the pink turns to white?
    white to violet

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Used it exclusivly for a couple of years. Been over 100m on it avg run time for me in the 60-90m range is 3-4 hours. Done 5-6 hours on it on shalow multiple warm water (20c) diving.

No problems to report

ATB

Mark

plays with fire RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver's Avatar
    modified Poseidon Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    Used it exclusivly for a couple of years. Been over 100m on it avg run time for me in the 60-90m range is 3-4 hours. Done 5-6 hours on it on shalow multiple warm water (20c) diving.
    How much sorb was your scrubber holding? 6 hours in 25+ degree water would work well for me. By shallow I'm guessing you mean 0-40 metres?

Apprentice Meg Pilot kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu is just really nice kieranu's Avatar
    Megalodon APECS 2.7

Quote Originally Posted by RedSeaDiver  View Original Post
    How much sorb was your scrubber holding? 6 hours in 25+ degree water would work well for me. By shallow I'm guessing you mean 0-40 metres?
    Can do same with 5lb scrubber in the Meg no problem also. I generally change after 5 to 6 hours in Perth waters if I can dive often enough though generally its more frequently as I have too long a break between CCR dives.

RBW Member Mike_Eitel is an unknown quantity at this point Mike_Eitel's Avatar
    MeCCRxWi

MeRAY, MeTravox,MeCCRV"x,Inspi

Hi

A few weeks ago I needed my buddy to survive. (52 m; 15 TTS)
    (mCCR, 2l O2 100 Bar, 5 L 1.Dil250 Bar , 2L 2.Dil 250 Bar) Stage in CAR

Starting reason has been my stupidity ( Stages in car, improper diluent switching valve, bad position of diluent valve ,octopus connected after diluent-valve, … )

After diluent flush to lower my ppO2, I run completely out of gas in my system . After 1-2 min with no gas to breath, and non working octopus, I finally got with the help of my buddy some diluent from his octopus in my system. And naturally I was hyperventilating after that exercises.

The next 20 min I went through hell, as I had an unbelievable WOB, also I was able to activate my own diluent…Without pressure of getting no air , it’s much easier to handle a valve ;-() … I stayed on hyperventilating with > 40 breath /min. Increasing strong headache.

All the deco-time I did not understand what happens, as my RB was working perfect, before I made my handling-error. On the surface I expected to see some violet for CO2 absorption, but I saw something unexpected. My canister was partially filled by “sand” !!

What happened?
    Before the easy sunday dive, I filled the upper half of my canister with Spherasorb, Soda lime; leaving > 2x planned dive-time.

When I did my “gas-borrowing” I got some water in the system. I had to find that our "rescue-position" was suited to make my water traps ineffective. Means I took ca 100-200ml ( not more ) water direct in my canister. On other occasion (exercises with goon tube, etc.) wet chalk generated a bit of gurgling and a bit higher WOB. My system can take much more.

But different to Dräger or Sofnolime this dammed Sherasorb is falling apart.
    From 20 cm of chalk, well pressed, 1 cm disappeared and filled everything in form of fine sand grains. It’s a pity that I forgot to take a photo of the canister. I had to disassemble my complete RB, everything was full of sand.

Never ever I will use a chalk that is not suited for diving….
    And stages stay at home, but never in car …

Mike
    Attached Images

LAR Addict RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag's Avatar
    LAR VI FGT LAR VI Clone

OMG MK4 CDV and MK4 CSC

What unit was this on?

Spherasorb is designed to have very very hard grains which even when wet will not fall apart.

Only thing you could get these fine dust from is when you empty the sorb canister into your scrubber, the dust you have on your unit looks like the dust I always leave in the canister and throw away.

Do you vacuum your scrubber after packing?

What sorb was the other half of your scrubber? Maybe that sorb went to dust?

I travelled well over 2000km with a packed scrubber in the back of my car and dived it when I arrived on my holiday site without even one single piece of dust. With spherasorb of course.

RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Eitel  View Original Post
    But different to Dräger or Sofnolime this dammed Sherasorb is falling apart.
    I've had a terrably wet scrubber by screwing up excercises a few times but never ever the problem you described. Was that really Sperasorb or did you use any of the other Intersorb products? (or the other stuff you had in there?)

Supporting Member GaryB is an unknown quantity at this point GaryB's Avatar
    Poseidon Discovery MKVI

Draeger Dolphin

Been using Spherasorb for a couple of years. No issues with it at all. I used the white to violet.

Cheers!
    Gary

RBW Member Mike_Eitel is an unknown quantity at this point Mike_Eitel's Avatar
    MeCCRxWi

MeRAY, MeTravox,MeCCRV"x,Inspi

The Rebreather is my homemade Nr2.

Yes I do vacuuming and all that stuff.

Believe it or not, the "grains" chanched into small ones, like sand. And with my hyperventilation I distributed them in the box. what you see is the connecion part between scrubber and hoses. ... No, I didn't had the feeling that I got some chalk in my loungs.

Never expirienced that before, and I'v at least had 5 different sorbs over the years & > 200 RB dives. And I will avoid to have the same problem ever again!

Mike
    Attached Images

Gadget guru extrordinaire tamorgen is on a distinguished road tamorgen is on a distinguished road tamorgen's Avatar

Looking to pick up some sorb for my Dolphin, now that I can't get Drägersorb in the US anymore. I'm considering a few.

Sofnolime is great, so I am told, but best I can find it for now is $180 shipped for a 44lb keg. That'll probably last me years.

Sodasorb is also avialable, about $100 shipped. Never used it, but I know it works as well.

I'm also considering at Spherasorb 408, but I want to verify what I've found will work. I'm finding it on medical supply places in the US, not diving sites. Is it still the same stuff? The above link doesn't specifically say 408, but the granular size of 3-4mm seems correct.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast