+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Pelagian Diver

RBW Member jpage is on a distinguished road jpage is on a distinguished road jpage's Avatar
    Pelagian DCCCR

New Pelagian Diver

I've just completed my Pelagian MOD1 course with Andy Fritz in Thailand and would like to share my experiences with the course and the unit here.

Firstly, thanks to Andy and his family for being so hospitable during my stay there, the whole experience was a pleasure. Although it would be remiss of me to not warn any prospective Pelagian divers about the Fritz household guard parrot. You have been warned :)

As a new CCR diver, I had nothing to compare against in terms of other units, other than my own rudimentary understanding of the philosophical differences between the various rebreathers available. However, as a student of many different open circuit classes over the last few years, I am familiar with what constitutes quality when it comes to instruction, and I was pleased with the level of engagement and the information that was conveyed, with clear and logical justifications for why things should be done a certain way.

Diving with the unit was difficult at first, and a number of the concepts that were introduced were completely alien to me coming from open circuit world. However, after many hours discussing theory and spending time in the pool, I was finding myself able to execute the basic skills a little more naturally.

To our dismay, Andy seemed to do his very best to get us to flood our loops and flail around in the water like the novices we are during failure simulations, generally quite successfully. That said, I don't begrudge him inflicting that level of stress on us - even if he does seem to enjoy it more than he should.

After finishing the course I feel that I've really just been given training wheels, and there is so much still to learn. I found the whole experience very demanding, but ultimately very rewarding, and I'm really looking forward to getting some more time under by belt on the unit, starting Saturday :)

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

Re: New Pelagian Diver

Welcome to the world of the Pelagian...its a great unit. After around 20 more hours you will get more comfortable with the unit. Dive it as much as you can and have fun

Rod

1 Grumpy ole skipper Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle's Avatar
    Classic KISS, Sentinel

SCR - CCR Dolphin

Well said James,
    Take it easy at first & it all becomes easier with time.
    Let the fun begin from now without the torture tests.

RBW Member orion is on a distinguished road orion is on a distinguished road orion's Avatar

Cool! will have to come & visit Melbourne sometime !
    Glad to hear you had fun in Thailand. Enjoy :)

Markku Diedrich Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure's Avatar
    Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

Congrats to the course and the new unit. Great and safe dives.

RBW Member Jasper180 is an unknown quantity at this point Jasper180's Avatar
    Pelagian

Congrats on the course and your choice in rebreather. Welcome to the Pelagian family!!!

Erik

RBW Member Fredrik Majberger is an unknown quantity at this point Fredrik Majberger's Avatar
    Pelagian DCCCR

Congratulations!
    Welcom to the Pelagian family!
    Wish I had been in Thailand diving. Here in Sweden is 40 cm of ice and 50 cm of snow al over the place
    Best regards!
    Fredrik

Cut along dotted line... Doppler is just really nice Doppler is just really nice Doppler is just really nice Doppler is just really nice Doppler is just really nice Doppler is just really nice Doppler is just really nice Doppler is just really nice Doppler is just really nice Doppler's Avatar

Great unit and pleased to hear you had fun during training... thanks for the warning about the guard parrot.

Now start logging the hours... that's the fun part.

RBW Member Anders Thulin is an unknown quantity at this point Anders Thulin's Avatar
    Pelagian

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik Majberger  View Original Post
    Congratulations!
    Welcom to the Pelagian family!
    Wish I had been in Thailand diving. Here in Sweden is 40 cm of ice and 50 cm of snow al over the place
    Best regards!
    Fredrik
    Kolsva, 28 mars, I´ll be there! (If the weather is good, no rain)

And "Jpage", you made the right choise! Welcome!

+ Reply to Thread