+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Which sorb for LAR

LAR Addict RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag's Avatar
    LAR VI FGT LAR VI Clone

OMG MK4 CDV and MK4 CSC

Re: Which sorb for LAR

Iīm wearing a secumar shadow vest when I dive the lar so no problems getting to the surface if anything goes wrong

Thanks for all the comments and tips!

RBW Member brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave ******  View Original Post
    The point is that the max safe depth is a lot shallower than a competent diver ought to be able to freedive. If you can swim *down* and then up from 25 feet, you ought to be able to swim up after getting a free ride down. Plus, remembering a lesson from YMCA scuba circa 1974: "always put your weight belt on last". Ditch the friggin thing if you have and issue and you are wearing a chest mounted lifejacket. This is no place for IATDT ( inappropriate application of technical diving techniques). It's far closer to freediving.

Dave

Dave,

It is my understanding that you also apply this philosophy at 150 feet wearing backmounted doubles... just curious where/when you cross over to AATDT (appropriately applying technical diving techniques)?

Thanks,
    Brandon

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brandonmc  View Original Post
    Dave,

It is my understanding that you also apply this philosophy at 150 feet wearing backmounted doubles... just curious where/when you cross over to AATDT (appropriately applying technical diving techniques)?

Thanks,
    Brandon

Don't confuse baseline "done within proper limits" 02 rebreather diving with something else... .

Ditchable weights are part and parcel of this sort of diving. Get in a jam, drop your weight belt. No different than freediving. Use a Marsaille Belt... like a freediver.

When I dive doubles, I wear a drysuit & wings, or a wetsuit and double wings, and a crotch strap over my belt. It's a different thing. Who told you differently? In the old days we all wore Unisuits, no wings (they had not been invented yet), and could ditch our weights if needed. All freedivers wear droppable weights, and I see a LAR-V as merely being a snorkle-substitute added to my freediving gear (which is literally how I dive mine, with the same suit, fins, mask, and weights as I use when freediving).

BTW, I dove the Mohawk too... in 1974. Come on over for dinner, and you can eat from china from her.

Best,

Dave

Last edited by MB; 15th June 2010 at 18:58.

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

i find wob a little harder with the 8-12 but the standard 4-8 dreager sorb while really dusty works for at least 4 hrs in 4 c ..daves right on , i dive mine with a dry suit mostly (7 cf bottle operation ) so i put a bo reg on it just for the hell of it , but i too am a child of the 70s diving so the weight belt still goes on last and can be dumped, btw if you come to dinner at my place you can eat off the titanics or the emperess of irelands plates i have them both (yes i have coa for the titanics plates got them BEFORE 97 embargo) hope to get a doria one some day diving it (if dave and his buddies left any down there )

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

BTW whats a marsaille belt dave ?

LAR Addict RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag's Avatar
    LAR VI FGT LAR VI Clone

OMG MK4 CDV and MK4 CSC

Itīs a rubber weight belt, used by freedivers so it wonīt restrict your breathing and it wonīt get loose when you are on depth.

By the way, I did not get the time to dive during the week so I discarded the sorb...

Just ordered me some kegs of 797 today...

LAR VI FGT LAR VI Clone

OMG MK4 CDV and MK4 CSC

By the way, I use my weight harness (showed it in the ccr section) for diving the lar, so dropping the weights is possible but a little bit on the hard side compared to a normal belt (dräger clip weights) but with the secumar vest itīs more easy and way safer I think.

I realy need to do some long dives with the unit, but the last dives I did where only fast ones, just noticed I had some free time, drive to the water and dive for an hour. But this sunday I will do some longer stuff in a local lake

RBW Member sub5 is an unknown quantity at this point sub5's Avatar
    APD-EVP, LAR V, LAR VII

Just want to bring this thread up again.

After diving with an EVP the last 2 years I want to reactive my LAR from time to time.

Just noticed that the original Dräger Divesorb that I have been using before is already at 71 Euro for 4.5kg.

So I wonder if there are any more recent experiences with the Sofnolime for LAR.
    Which type fits best for the LAR?
    The 797 or the CD Grade?

For my personal use it would be easier, if the 797 would work, since I could reduce to one type of Sodalime for both systems.
    But if there is any significant argument against it would not do it or buy the CD grade (or even the Dräger) for the LAR if necessary.

all the best,

Thomas

RBW Member marshall8hp is an unknown quantity at this point marshall8hp's Avatar
    Explorer - LAR V

I have always used 797 in my LAR and Dolphin (as well as more modern kit) and it has never been a problem. As others have also said, storage between dives for a week or two doesn't seem to impact either.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3