+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: TSA rejects Sorb!

RBW Member Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge's Avatar
    rEvo II

Evolution

Re: TSA rejects Sorb!

Quote Originally Posted by aainslie  View Original Post
    Fair enough. they piss me off too!!

Guess whose radio is tuned into Rush Limbaugh... :)
    Who's Limbaugh?

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    ...I just went thru it and took my oath for US Citizenship yesterday in Philly....
    Congrats John! Way to go!

LEARNING CONTINUALLY rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Classic YBOD

That would be Mr. LimBALLS!!!

So Cal Tech Diver aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie's Avatar
    Meg

Inspo (when it works)

Quote Originally Posted by Serge  View Original Post
    Who's Limbaugh?

Google is your friend... :)

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    I should know as I just went thru it and took my oath for US Citizenship yesterday in Philly.
    Mine was late last year. Congrats! Now we've joined the bad guys :)
    Last edited by aainslie; 10th March 2010 at 02:49.
    Andrew Ainslie

Buhlmann = Bend and Mend
    VPM/RGBM = Mend and Bend
    GF 35-50/70-85 = Mend and Mend

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian7  View Original Post
    Just to warn others who may be planning on carrying sorb in checked baggage to be aware that TSA rejected my supply at Guam. Continental then refused to even carry as Cargo/Freight to get it back home even though their own baggage rules say they will carry!
    Lucky for me Sams, Palau had a supply even though it was not the preferred mesh size.

The inspectors at Guam are really bad. I had similar experience at Guam where they told me flat out my rebreather couldnt go on the plane (to truk) and especially the o2 tank, because..wait for it....although it was now empty (verified by me cracking open the valve infront of them which made them go ape sh1t at me) - they said it 'used to contain o2' so it will always be dangerous. The guywas really uneccessarily rude. Since that time I aways tape over the O2 label when flying

Fortunatley his superior just happened to be wandering past and saw my RB and said 'oh thats a rebreather - thats ok' He was a diver. If he hadnt walked past I would have lost the whole trip!

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    Fortunatley his superior just happened to be wandering past and saw my Rebreather and said 'oh thats a rebreather - thats ok' He was a diver. If he hadnt walked past I would have lost the whole trip!
    That exact same thing happened to me in Canada.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thumpr  View Original Post
    I travel all over the world for work and the US is by far the most unpleasant immigration and customs experience I have to deal with. I have found Indonesian customs and immigration to be a walk in the park in comparison but maybe I have just been lucky...
    I couldnt agree with you more about US imigration.

I fly all over the world, twice a month on average im at an airport someplace and of the dozens of countries i visit I always find that passing through US customs is always the most unpleasant. There apears to me to be a very deliberate attempt to make visitors feel intimidated untrusted and unwelcome.

You always feel welcome when you enter Indonesia because you have money and they dont. Its as simple as that. Anyone who thinks its generally easier to enter the us than indonesia clearly has never been to indonesia. Dont confuse being welcome with being safe from being ripped off (remember they welcome you because you have money). The customs people can sometimes rip you off big time. I learnt the hard way as many do that flying into many parts of indonesia with big boxes of things that must be expensive is a sure fire way to be asked to pay a 'fee' Its not a lot of money - but its annoying and its accepted practice in places like Bali where theres a couple of uniform guys waiting just before the exit looking for people with big boxes.

Id rather face problems at customs in SE Asia than the west as you know that at the end of the day its more often than not a problem that can be solved by giving someone a lot of face, or by giving someone a wad of cash.
    Last edited by Drmike; 10th March 2010 at 03:55.

RBW Member cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    I couldnt agree with you more about US imigration.

Id rather face problems at customs in SE Asia than the west as you know that at the end of the day its more often than not a problem that can be solved by giving someone a lot of face, or by giving someone a wad of cash.
    This is so true. The attitude in the states is we don't need or want you.

In asia and most other places I have visited, all you have to be is curtious and polite. As soon as you try to push them around or get upset then your screwed. I see lots of guys get into trouble when they pull the attitude that "I have the right, therefore I can do what I want"

Regulations and protocals really have nothing to do with dealing with immigration and inspectors and such... it has much more to do with attitude.

Cam

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by starfishdiving  View Original Post
    How long do we put up with this? WHAT??!! You don't want to come here? Fine, stay the hell home or go someplace else. I for one do not give a husky rat's patoot! One of the best things about the USA is our citizens right to be able to make statements like yours and mine and others on a public forum. I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death the right to say it. Yes, it is a loose quote from a fine American Patriot. Look it up. The history lesson may inspire you.
    How long have you in the UK put up with your beaureaucratic nonsense and attacks by certain factions that want to see your country dead and gone?
    When will you all realize that the US has the most open borders and immigration policies in the western world? There are a lot more countries in this world that have much tougher travel/immigration policies than ours. I do not accept the idea that we can ever be compared to the Berlin Wall. Knowing the history of modern Europe, how dare you make that statement.

OK, so a few folks have had some problems with our TSA. Yes, this agency needs some serious leadership overhaul. I do not dispute that in the least. But do not call for a "Fatwah" against travel to the US. What does that accomplish? How about we all do a big time letter writing campaign with all sorts of quotes about MSDS, etc to the TSA? That assumes this is a major crisis...which it is not!
    Hey! Mexico confiscated someones 'sorb. Where is the call to stop all travel to that country?

Yep, I am not happy. Why? Maybe it has to do with being a
    many year veteran of the USA military, maybe it has to do with my love of this country while still admitting it has warts and all. One little screwed-up agency does not take away those feelings. I love most of my family members too! That doesn't mean I can't criticize 'em. We all appreciate the "Fun" in Dysfunctional. Show me any government and I'll show you bad and good folks in bad and good agencies. Administrations come and go...bureaucracy lasts forever! To hell with this! I'm going diving. Dive safe!

Randy Williams,
    There's only one thing worse than believing a press release - and that is believing your OWN press releases.........

Re-read US history with an unjaundiced eye and you'll find the Boston tea party was all about stopping East India company tea coming into the colonies and competing with the home grown product. Maybe that's why the Free Trade agreements with the US are not so "free". But wait - there's more ....but I won't go there now.

The "revolution" is probably one of the biggest press releases ever issued......but hey, do keep on believing them.

Brian Mecklem Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7's Avatar
    PRISM 2, EXPLORER

PRISM TOPAZ

What is very apparent here is that there are some quite different approaches by TSA on SORB. How do we as a group get TSA to include sorb in their standards. I assume they must have internal guidelines Whilst this will
    not totally resolve the situation it sure will help. Eg Continental Air have documented policies re rebreathers and sorb (even if some employees do not understand them ! At least they have tried and it does work on most occasions ( just do not try to fly out if Cairns !!! (and I am an Aussie) Whilst at it what about getting some info to them re booster pumps and rebreathers themselves .
    Surely as a group, largely American I assume, surely we can exert some influence. Surely there is a way either directly or via local politicians that we can make our voice heard? I am sure if it were recreational OC diving the likes of PADI would have already taken action. We need a voice and I can not see any better vehicle than Rebreatherworld.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian7  View Original Post
    What is very apparent here is that there are some quite different approaches by TSA on SORB. How do we as a group get TSA to include sorb in their standards. I assume they must have internal guidelines Whilst this will
    not totally resolve the situation it sure will help. Eg Continental Air have documented policies re rebreathers and sorb (even if some employees do not understand them ! At least they have tried and it does work on most occasions ( just do not try to fly out if Cairns !!! (and I am an Aussie) Whilst at it what about getting some info to them re booster pumps and rebreathers themselves .
    Surely as a group, largely American I assume, surely we can exert some influence. Surely there is a way either directly or via local politicians that we can make our voice heard? I am sure if it were recreational OC diving the likes of PADI would have already taken action. We need a voice and I can not see any better vehicle than Rebreatherworld.
    Ive tried every tactic to make the process smoother- including carrying with me a full print out of their guidelines for scuba gear, the MSD for the sorb a letter regarding shipping restrictions from the mnf of the sorb and the Rebreather a illustrated guide to rebreather diving (so they can see what it is) Private notes to customs inside the Rebreather box explaining about tank valves etc etc

- and what have I learnt?

That at the end of the day no matter what, it all depends on the individual your dealing with, his mood, his understanding of scuba diving, his understanding of the guidelines (Dont be surprised if you know more than the guy sat behind check-in about TSA guidelines on scuba gear).

As the previous poster said - it pays to be nice. In singapore airport once at check in they actually called at home (woke up) someone they called a 'chemical expert' to ask his advice on the sorb (reading out the chemical content) (doing so btw dispite the fact I had an MSD with me)

Its always fun seeing their faces when they open up a MK15.5 box and see the tanks (that look like nothing on the scanner)
    Last edited by Drmike; 10th March 2010 at 09:38.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast