+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: TSA rejects Sorb!

RBW Member John Bantin is just really nice John Bantin is just really nice John Bantin is just really nice John Bantin is just really nice John Bantin is just really nice John Bantin is just really nice John Bantin is just really nice John Bantin is just really nice John Bantin is just really nice John Bantin's Avatar

Re: TSA rejects Sorb!

More than 20 years ago, the British Government furnished me with two passports so that I could avoid having the visa stamps from one country in my passport when entering a second country not friendly to the first.

Sadly times change and it seems that the USA has become the country that is difficult to enter.

I keep one passport for travelling East from the UK and one for travelling West (inevitably through th USA). I was travelling to Palau via Abu Dabi, Brunei, Manila and over-nighting in Guam, forgetting that Guam was USA territory. I arrived there with the visas of several unfriendly countries in my 'going east' passport. Ooops!

What a palava! Eventually I persuaded the TSA I was not a threat to the USA and they let me continue on my journey.

We in Europe may not wish to visit the USA but it's a big lump of land that stands in the way en-route to other places. They should invent the transit passenger idea and put us all out of our misery!

If scrubber is a problem, wait until they realise about lithium batteries!
    Last edited by John Bantin; 1st April 2010 at 16:26.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by nadwidny  View Original Post
    Almost made me want to go through security again.

That's just sick!!!!

(Must now don tin-foil hat to prevent black helicopters w/ silencers on blades from reading my brain waves)

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    Albeit these have been domestic flights. As well, it seems traveling international with sorb is silly to me. The costs associated and weight you loose (read less dive gear) seems that it could be more trouble than it's worth. Plan ahead and drop-ship or hook up with a local dive operator: same with bottles. Pay a little more for the convenience of having it weighting for you at your diving destination... Travel smart...
    Its great that everyone is intitled to their opinion.

In my case I have enough international travel experience to know that a tub of sorb can cost easily 2 or 3 times the cost in the USA at some destinations. And/Or it can be of inferior type or grade. And/Or not be available at all. In fact it might be a surprize but sometime there is not a dive shop available in the local area.

Shipping something in advance is no walk in the park either. The cost is far more than the $50 I paid for some additional baggage allowance. It can easily get lost/stolen at the foreign destination let alone having to deal with the customs personnel holding the goods for a kings ransom. I will bet on keeping what I need in my hands and travelling with me anyday.

So I guess I will just continue on being silly .

John

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Guess so. I travel to Turks at leat twice a year and don't take sorb for the simple fact that it's actually cheaper to ship it. I have my ways, hopefully you'll find yours. BTW, you don't even mention that some countries tax imported items... ever had that happen? I have and it's not fun. To each his own I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by aainslie  View Original Post
    Fair enough. they piss me off too!!

Guess whose radio is tuned into Rush Limbaugh... :)
    That is the best option on most of the radio stations the other id10t's in the world are too dumb to realize he is pretty smart!

Dive Deep and Dive Long Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf's Avatar
    rEvo

I was forced last week to dump my sorb out of my scrubbers leaving San Diego. Cameron also had to dump his sorb the same day at another airport. I cannot remember the name he said when he called me maybe he will chime in.

Their reason I was told was "it was not in original packaging" that is totally reasonable. they cannot easily identify what it is when it is not in its original unopened packaging.

RBW Member camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loanwolf  View Original Post
    I was forced last week to dump my sorb out of my scrubbers leaving San Diego. Cameron also had to dump his sorb the same day at another airport. I cannot remember the name he said when he called me maybe he will chime in.

Their reason I was told was "it was not in original packaging" that is totally reasonable. they cannot easily identify what it is when it is not in its original unopened packaging.
    Seattle-Tacoma, flying Alaska. I _just_ got back from a couple of weeks out diving at Clipperton Atoll in the Pacific, and took my 'breather down.

They actually pulled me out of the secure area at the gate, through security, and took me back to the TSA. There, they made me open up the rebreather and demo to them that the scrubber canister was completely empty. I was told "no sorb" explicitly when I got there, although the guy at the gate thought it was 'cause I had a cylinder. No...the scrubber frame is round and metal...

On the plus side, the TSA agents who pulled me out to open the gear were exceedingly nice to me, and very professional, which is a complete change from what I'm used to. Seems like they stick the nice ones are in back, and they let the unhelpful ones out to see the travellers. They actually knew that the unit was a rebreather ("we see a fair number of rebreathers") but wanted me to open it for them ("we could, but we really didn't want to damage your gear, and we're not entirely sure how it comes apart, anyway.")

So, yeah, sucks that travelling with 'sorb is a PITA, but I actually have to say these guys doing the luggage in the back room were really cool about it...

Dive Deep and Dive Long Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by camerone  View Original Post
    Seattle-Tacoma, flying Alaska. I _just_ got back from a couple of weeks out diving at Clipperton Atoll in the Pacific, and took my 'breather down.

They actually pulled me out of the secure area at the gate, through security, and took me back to the TSA. There, they made me open up the rebreather and demo to them that the scrubber canister was completely empty. I was told "no sorb" explicitly when I got there, although the guy at the gate thought it was 'cause I had a cylinder. No...the scrubber frame is round and metal...

On the plus side, the TSA agents who pulled me out to open the gear were exceedingly nice to me, and very professional, which is a complete change from what I'm used to. Seems like they stick the nice ones are in back, and they let the unhelpful ones out to see the travellers. They actually knew that the unit was a rebreather ("we see a fair number of rebreathers") but wanted me to open it for them ("we could, but we really didn't want to damage your gear, and we're not entirely sure how it comes apart, anyway.")

So, yeah, sucks that travelling with 'sorb is a PITA, but I actually have to say these guys doing the luggage in the back room were really cool about it...
    I have to say the same thing the guys in the back were very polite and apologetic when explaining why they wanted me to dump the sorb. I totally understand their concerns being 4th generation in the Ag Chemical Industry and knowing labeling and packaging and also having been in the Military.

Cam I could not remeber the name when you called me, It was SeaTac. Thanks for chiming in.

From my understaning if it is in the original "sealed" package i.e. the jug you can fly with it "checked". that is what was explained to me after my plane had already left the gate and I no longer had to worry about time so I was asking lots of questions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7