+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: TSA rejects Sorb!

Brian Mecklem Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7's Avatar
    PRISM 2, EXPLORER

PRISM TOPAZ

Angry TSA rejects Sorb!

Just to warn others who may be planning on carrying sorb in checked baggage to be aware that TSA rejected my supply at Guam. Continental then refused to even carry as Cargo/Freight to get it back home even though their own baggage rules say they will carry!
    Lucky for me Sams, Palau had a supply even though it was not the preferred mesh size.

Banned Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn's Avatar
    Apoc

Drager

Re: TSA rejects Sorb!

Brian, Did they give a reason? Did you have the MSDS to show? Was the sorb in its original, sealed container?

I had some fun with TSA last year flying with EACs in carry on baggage, but they were happy once they saw they were obviously for diving based on the carton labeling and solid.

regards
    Brad

Brian Mecklem Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7 will become famous soon enough Brian7's Avatar
    PRISM 2, EXPLORER

PRISM TOPAZ

Quote Originally Posted by Brad_Horn  View Original Post
    Brian, Did they give a reason? Did you have the MSDS to show? Was the sorb in its original, sealed container?

I had some fun with TSA last year flying with EACs in carry on baggage, but they were happy once they saw they were obviously for diving based on the carton labeling and solid.

regards
    Brad
    I had the MSDS attached to the sealed containers. This happened at the Xraying of checked baggage where they do not welcome you to stay while they attend. As is my normal practice I did 'loiter' around until they did xrays and as they were aware I was there they called me over and simply said they had rejected the whole bag and they were returning it to the airline checkin counter. TSA WOULD NOT EVEN DISCUSS and implied that I should have declared it as a hazardous item (even though the airline Continental) state in their. Baggage policy that they will carry it) Lucky I had remained or the bag would have simply not be sent and there was other important gear in it.

Closed Account Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Sorry to hear about your difficulty.

This seems to be once again a case of arbitrary decision making by individual TSA agents. Others, myself included, have checked absorbent without difficulty, and there is no reason you should not be able to as well. It is NOT a hazardous material.

I simply put a name tag on the jug and checked it. Three of them, to be precise. That was three years ago, EWR to GCM, but AFAIK there has been no change of the rules that would prevent doing that today. I was even able to bring one open jug back the same way!

If only we could have some consistency from place to place and time to time .... but I guess that's too much to ask.

Art

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Amazing! This kind of stuff is very frustrating! I haven't had TSA reject me, but have had the Xray guys in Mexico confiscate my sorb, even though it was in the original containers, sealed with manufacturers documentation. They claimed it was corrosive and as such could not be brought into the country. I asked them if they could keep it at the office at the airport so I could take it back with me on the flight home and they declined, so I lost two full tubs.

Mike Samsen Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948 will become famous soon enough Sharky1948's Avatar
    rEvo III Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Art Greenberg  View Original Post
    I simply put a name tag on the jug and checked it. Three of them, to be precise. That was three years ago, EWR to GCM, but AFAIK there has been no change of the rules that would prevent doing that today. I was even able to bring one open jug back the same way!

That seems to be the ideal way to transport it. It's out in the open, which likely reduces suspicion. Also, if it is confiscated, you only lose the sorb...not gear. I would also paste the TSA and airline policy on it, just for an added margin of assurance.

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

and 11 others inc. a UT-240

I keep hearing about problems entering and travelling throughout the US.
    The simple solution is not to travel to the US.

How long do we have to put up with this before we realise that the Berlin wall is still alive and well and we dont want to pass through it.

It's a great shame becuase the US is a great place to visit.
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

So Cal Tech Diver aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie's Avatar
    Meg

Inspo (when it works)

The trick is to presend it. Many people just mail it to someone in Truk, and for all intents and purposes it looks like a US address. Any small, crappy island is going to have far more arbitrary rules than other places, plus officials are just that much more officious when people have no options such as you had there.

And for the record, every country has its bureaucracies. Have you ever tried to get a visa to go ANYWHERE from consulates in the UK? It's nasty beyond belief. If you think US coustoms is bad to deal with, try Indonesia - a serious country of assholes if ever I saw one. Mexico? Fine, if you don't mind coming back to your car to find there's nothing in it. And luggage rules in the US are far more diver friendly than most countries. Some people flying to Truk from non US locations paid literally thousands to get their stuff from Europe and Africa on the non-Continental legs of their trips. I paid $100 on a total of 190 lbs of luggage. Hard to beat that.

So a little less country bashing of my adopted country, please.
    Andrew Ainslie

Buhlmann = Bend and Mend
    VPM/RGBM = Mend and Bend
    GF 35-50/70-85 = Mend and Mend

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

and 11 others inc. a UT-240

Quote Originally Posted by aainslie  View Original Post

So a little less country bashing of my adopted country, please.
    I'm not getting into a bun fight, I'm bashing the TSA, not the USA.
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

Randol Williams starfishdiving is an unknown quantity at this point starfishdiving's Avatar
    APECS Meg

Quote Originally Posted by divetheworld  View Original Post
    I keep hearing about problems entering and travelling throughout the US.
    The simple solution is not to travel to the US.

How long do we have to put up with this before we realise that the Berlin wall is still alive and well and we dont want to pass through it.

It's a great shame becuase the US is a great place to visit.
    How long do we put up with this? WHAT??!! You don't want to come here? Fine, stay the hell home or go someplace else. I for one do not give a husky rat's patoot! One of the best things about the USA is our citizens right to be able to make statements like yours and mine and others on a public forum. I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death the right to say it. Yes, it is a loose quote from a fine American Patriot. Look it up. The history lesson may inspire you.
    How long have you in the UK put up with your beaureaucratic nonsense and attacks by certain factions that want to see your country dead and gone?
    When will you all realize that the US has the most open borders and immigration policies in the western world? There are a lot more countries in this world that have much tougher travel/immigration policies than ours. I do not accept the idea that we can ever be compared to the Berlin Wall. Knowing the history of modern Europe, how dare you make that statement.

OK, so a few folks have had some problems with our TSA. Yes, this agency needs some serious leadership overhaul. I do not dispute that in the least. But do not call for a "Fatwah" against travel to the US. What does that accomplish? How about we all do a big time letter writing campaign with all sorts of quotes about MSDS, etc to the TSA? That assumes this is a major crisis...which it is not!
    Hey! Mexico confiscated someones 'sorb. Where is the call to stop all travel to that country?

Yep, I am not happy. Why? Maybe it has to do with being a
    many year veteran of the USA military, maybe it has to do with my love of this country while still admitting it has warts and all. One little screwed-up agency does not take away those feelings. I love most of my family members too! That doesn't mean I can't criticize 'em. We all appreciate the "Fun" in Dysfunctional. Show me any government and I'll show you bad and good folks in bad and good agencies. Administrations come and go...bureaucracy lasts forever! To hell with this! I'm going diving. Dive safe!

Randy Williams,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast