+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any official RB fatilities statistics/reports ?

RBW Member Pastaga is an unknown quantity at this point Pastaga's Avatar
    APDiving Evolution

Is there any official RB fatilities statistics/reports ?

Hey there,

I wouldn't like you to take my question as negative but I would be very interested in having access to official (from official investigations) RB fatilities statistics. The kind of data I am looking for would contain not only figures but also reasons for fatilities (bad planning, unadequate equipment settings, health issues,...etc...).

Do you know where I could find these reports as well as statistics ?

The reason why I am interested by these data is we are all educated by RB instructors who can claim their experience on how to check, double check, triple check our equipment, get a good living health and plan appropriately dives; but it is difficult to get experience from a victim !
    Each death is sad but is also full of important information that can we can take into account in dive & equipment planning as well as health preparation & checking.

Any information on how to get these reports/statistics would be of a lot of importance so many thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Fred.

Ryan Battles battles2a5 has a spectacular aura about battles2a5 has a spectacular aura about battles2a5 has a spectacular aura about battles2a5 has a spectacular aura about battles2a5 has a spectacular aura about battles2a5's Avatar
    rEvo II mini

Re: Is there any official RB fatilities statistics/reports ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pastaga  View Original Post
    Hey there,

I wouldn't like you to take my question as negative but I would be very interested in having access to official (from official investigations) Rebreather fatilities statistics. The kind of data I am looking for would contain not only figures but also reasons for fatilities (bad planning, unadequate equipment settings, health issues,...etc...).

Do you know where I could find these reports as well as statistics ?

The reason why I am interested by these data is we are all educated by RB instructors who can claim their experience on how to check, double check, triple check our equipment, get a good living health and plan appropriately dives; but it is difficult to get experience from a victim !
    Each death is sad but is also full of important information that can we can take into account in dive & equipment planning as well as health preparation & checking.

Any information on how to get these reports/statistics would be of a lot of importance so many thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Fred.
    Sorry to disappoint you but this data just does not exist. Rebreather manufacturing is unregulated, there are no international bodies that sanction the use of the units, and there is no central repository for the data. Furhtermore, it does not behoove the manufacturers to provide this data because it opens the door for liability and keeping death stats doesn't exactly boost sales. There have been a few efforts to collect a comprehensive list of fatalities. The most complete list I know of is the one done by Deep Life but it has been used more as a marketing tool to bash other rebreathers so I have to view that work with skepticism.

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

its not offical but i think for the most part its accurate with the fatalities i know about ...... http://www.wedir.ch/LinkClick.aspx?f...bid=73&mid=696

Ryan Battles battles2a5 has a spectacular aura about battles2a5 has a spectacular aura about battles2a5 has a spectacular aura about battles2a5 has a spectacular aura about battles2a5 has a spectacular aura about battles2a5's Avatar
    rEvo II mini

Quote Originally Posted by udtabn  View Original Post
    its not offical but i think for the most part its accurate with the fatalities i know about ...... http://www.wedir.ch/LinkClick.aspx?f...bid=73&mid=696
    That's the Deep Life list.

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

sorry i would never want to advertise for apoc..thats for sure

RBW Member Jeff Godfrey is an unknown quantity at this point Jeff Godfrey's Avatar

Checkout, Rebreather Fatality Investigation, byRichard D. Vann, Ph.D., Neal W. Pollock, Ph.D., Petar J. Denoble, M.D., Sc.D.

In: Pollock NW, Godfrey JM, eds. Diving for Science 2007. Proceedings of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences 26th Symposium.Dauphin Island, AL: AAUS; 2007.

Here's the link

http://rubicon-foundation.org/dspace/bitstream/123456789/6997/3/AAUS_2007_11.pdf

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

sorry i would never want to advertise for apoc..thats for sure
    Fair enough but the list part of the spreadsheet is fairly comprehensive, just ignore the right hand column where all the guesswork is.

Richard Huntrods sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy's Avatar
    Prism Topaz

I have a suggestion for the mods/owners of RBW. Since this list was largely created on RBW by RBW posters giving information in good faith, why not take a copy of this spreadsheet, strip out that last column (column I on the posted link) and re-post the file on RBW as a "semi official" collection of raw data?

After all, this data was collected via RBW in the past, and represents a pretty good compilation of the stats (if you remove that right column). Once "back in the fold" of RBW, it might even have a chance at being kept up to date again.

But if RBW goes this route, I'd recommend doing a "print to PDF" and only post the pdf file - so that unscrupulous operators can't easily co-opt the raw spreadsheet with columns of "findings" and then ambulance-chase with it.

Cheers,

-S

Banned Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn's Avatar
    Apoc

Drager

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyboy  View Original Post
    it might even have a chance at being kept up to date again.
    Sunny,

DL appear to have last updated the fatality list they have published, 5 days ago. How many rebreather fatalities have there been since then if it is out of date?

Try it from the source Deep Life Ltd: For those times when equipment really MUST work

Regards
    Brad

No its always that colour the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brad_Horn  View Original Post
    Sunny,

DL appear to have last updated the fatality list they have published, 5 days ago. How many rebreather fatalities have there been since then if it is out of date?

Try it from the source Deep Life Ltd: For those times when equipment really MUST work

Regards
    Brad

Pity the three in Ireland are not correct, one even the wrong end of Ireland as place of accident. To guess it was the rebreather at fault is just bullshit and offers no comfort for family and friends. So how much more of it is shit. For those times when facts must be right..
    Last edited by the diving tiler; 24th February 2010 at 19:11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast