+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hoursing Recommendations for a 5D Mark II

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Re: Hoursing Recommendations for a 5D Mark II

Thanks folks, keep it coming... I'm still thinking Aquatica is the way to go.
    g

Gill Envy

Damien Siviero betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154's Avatar
    Meg

Pathfinder, Inspo, Kiss, MKVI

A little extra depth rating never hurts anyone! I think the only difference between the deep and standard kit is the spring tension in the push buttons (i.e. it's literally different springs). I personally can't tell the difference though when it comes to the press feel of the buttons.

My first Aquatica had the standard springs as they are supposed to be good to 90m, though I found at 50m a few buttons started to stick in. A quick change of the springs and I was good to go.

I had the 7D Aquatica with deep kit at 90m the other weekend and it worked a charm (apart from me not aligning the video/still selector switch but that is another story!).

Damien Siviero Photography

http://gekodivebali.com Cedrics is an unknown quantity at this point Cedrics's Avatar
    Evolution

Agree with Aquatica. Have used my 5d Mk II housing for more than 2 years intensively (working as a photographer on a liveaboard for a while) and love it to bits.
    My understanding is that depth rating is 90m with the deep springs but i may be wrong on this. I've installed the harder springs during servicing and haven't it since as it's teaching season... I've had issues with stuck buttons at 40m with the old springs (but then again that was after 100's of dives with it).
    Only downside is the weight of the unit. Not usually a problem with wide angle but definitely an issue with macro or supermacro. You can use buoyancy arms but that will cost you in terms of streamlining.
    As for the testing gimmick, I'm not a huge fan. Properly taken care of O-rings and taking the necessary time and care should suffice!

Cedric
    Angry Clownfish Photography

Serious Swagelok Addict jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace is a jewel in the rough jasace's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Satori PSCR

I've been looking/researching for the last year or more on this topic.

I've looked very closely at both housings and used the Hugyfot 5D2 once with my camera in a mates housing. The Huyfot is built beautifully but only comes with one handle and felt quite uncomfortable to use unfortunately. The button placement was not ideal to shoot video. Part of the way into the dive, something must have moved because I then lost most of the controls.

I've spoken to a lot of people on boats/caves with the Aquatica and it seems to be the best choice out there for all around use. That is what I will get.

RBW Member Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester's Avatar
    rEvo III Magnum

Would the same recommendation hold for a 7d?

New Member jmark18 is an unknown quantity at this point jmark18's Avatar
    Sport Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by Dinspiration  View Original Post
    Hi

I know somebody that is switching now from HUGY to Aquatica. He is using the system mainly for UW-Video and not for pictures. The main reasons are:
    • Build in hydrophone
    • Button to start/stop video much better located
    • Camera is much easier to insert into the housing
    • Better mounting points for external monitor
    • Better mounting points for video lights and flash

Best regards

Dietmar
    I agree on all these points. While my Hugyfot D200 housing was great it was difficult at times to get the camera in and out and there is no North American dealers now. Pascal at Hugyfot in Belgium was great to deal with but when I sent the housing for service it was kept by Customs for 1 month before releasing to Hugyfot. With Aqautica I can overnight it for service.

RBW Member thezipp is an unknown quantity at this point thezipp's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Evolution, rEvo III Ti st.

I had the Hugy for my 5D mark II. Great housing. It can be upgraded for very deep. 500 ft or possibly more. Problem would be operating the buttons at shallower deeps. I got mine through the Scuba Connection in New Jersey. Contact Wayne Fisch. I don't do undwater photography anymore and have sold it to someone I work with. He likes it a lot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2