+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Body Mass Index and voodoo science

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Re: The Body Mass Index and voodoo science

% body fat is a better measurement to go by if you need some kind of numerical guage to determine if your getting better or worst. There are several handheld devices today that will give you a % body fat number. Of course for those that cannot live with a rough number and have to have accuracy the best method is total body immersion and weighing then calculation of % body fat.

Maybe we should modify CCR electronics to take our in water weight then calc % body fat and if over 16% lock out the system.

Regardless of all the measurements I tend to go by how I feel everyday and particularily how I do during workouts compared to others my age.

John

Nick Tessier music for deco is just really nice music for deco is just really nice music for deco is just really nice music for deco is just really nice music for deco is just really nice music for deco is just really nice music for deco is just really nice music for deco is just really nice music for deco is just really nice music for deco's Avatar
    MCCR

Just remember that those spot on – under weight people have no fat reserves when it comes to serious illness or being lost at sea they live about half as long as us fat bastards

So have another pie it might save your life

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E's Avatar
    Second star to the right, straight on 'til morning...
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    % body fat is a better measurement to go by if you need some kind of numerical guage to determine if your getting better or worst. There are several handheld devices today that will give you a % body fat number. Of course for those that cannot live with a rough number and have to have accuracy the best method is total body immersion and weighing then calculation of % body fat.

Maybe we should modify CCR electronics to take our in water weight then calc % body fat and if over 16% lock out the system.

Regardless of all the measurements I tend to go by how I feel everyday and particularily how I do during workouts compared to others my age.

John
    Just as long as the gizmo does not require a rectal probe or anything invasive....

Dive safe,

Celia

RBW Member jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c's Avatar
    rEvo

Megalodon

Doctors in the Uk have now moved away from the BMI as a measure of overweight/obesity.
    They've gone back to using waist measurements as an indicator.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2