+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sodasorb 6-12 as replacement for Divesorb in Dolphin?

Supporting Member Black Jack is on a distinguished road Black Jack is on a distinguished road Black Jack's Avatar
    Prism II

rEvo II, KISS, LARV, rEvo hCCR

Sodasorb 6-12 as replacement for Divesorb in Dolphin?

Ok I know that Divesorb has slightly larger granule size as well as a slightly different form than 6-12 Sodasorb which means the canister will pack slightly tighter and may have a slightly higher WOB but are there any other factors that would make me not want to use Sodasorb? I might be able to get a very decent deal on some Sodasorb which would save me some cash. Opinions from the more experienced folks? I am ok with a slightly higher WOB and perhaps slightly shorter canister duration.

Thanks!

Divemaster ken chung ar is on a distinguished road ken chung ar is on a distinguished road ken chung ar's Avatar
    Inhabitant of the City of the Garden for Sharing Pleasure with Every Man and Woman, JAPAN

Re: Sodasorb 6-12 as replacement for Divesorb in Dolphin?

Quote Originally Posted by obakesan82
    Ok I know that Divesorb has slightly larger granule size as well as a slightly different form than 6-12 Sodasorb which means the canister will pack slightly tighter and may have a slightly higher WOB but are there any other factors that would make me not want to use Sodasorb?
    hi obakesan82,
    are you a ghost born in the year of 1982?

i asked the same question in May last year. joe radomski was kind enough to answer that. as he is now in Truk, i may be allowed to post his previous answer.

"6-12 sodasorb is too fine for the draeger, but you can use the standard 4-8 (sodasorb or sofnolime) in the draeger". one drawback is to reduce the overall duration of the stack for those that specify 812 sofnolime, (which does not apply to the draeger).

ken chung ar

Supporting Member Black Jack is on a distinguished road Black Jack is on a distinguished road Black Jack's Avatar
    Prism II

Yep it is my nicname this is true :) but I was not born in 82 that is for something else.

I tried a search but was not able to find the answer. I thought it would increase the WOB but still might be usable. A guy near me has 10 kegs of the stuff that he would let go for a great price. I've never used it so I thought I'd ask.

Are the plum blossoms coming out yet? I was in Tokyo and Kyoto around this time last year and they had started to bloom.

Thanks for the answer.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Ok I know that Divesorb has slightly larger granule size as well as a slightly different form than 6-12 Sodasorb which means the canister will pack slightly tighter and may have a slightly higher WOB but are there any other factors that would make me not want to use Sodasorb? I might be able to get a very decent deal on some Sodasorb which would save me some cash. Opinions from the more experienced folks? I am ok with a slightly higher WOB and perhaps slightly shorter canister duration.

Thanks!

Hello obakesan82, do you mean Dragersorb or is Divesorb the one made for Drager? I can't remember, it's been so long since I used the stuff... -Andy

Prism II

DiveSorb which according to Drager has a particle mesh size 5-9. The Sodasorb would have simply saved me some serious money this dive season as he has it on eBay for $45 a tub and he is 100 miles from me so no shipping.

Team Torrent Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken's Avatar

DiveSorb which according to Drager has a particle mesh size 5-9. The Sodasorb would have simply saved me some serious money this dive season as he has it on eBay for $45 a tub and he is 100 miles from me so no shipping.

It's not bad stuff. A tad dustier in my opinion, requires more tamping and a tad slimier when water hits it. It can be a pretty good deal.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Yes, now I remember. Everybody I know says that the Drager product is the least hard, most dusty and last choice, although I think they are all dustier than I wish they were. I never liked using it, but that was all there was back then. When you look at it closely it looks sort of mushy, like it was extruded while still pastey. You mentioned above that you thought that the duration of the 6-12 would be shorter? This is not correct, it would be longer than the Drager stuff. I didn't know it was 5-9, then the WOB on the 6-12 shouldn't be much higher at all. I certainly would give it a go. Sodasorb is supposed to the hardest, I use 6-12 in my Prism and I think they really mean it when they say that the granules are 6-12, some are much bigger than others, so the WOB should be reasonably close to 5-9. -Andy

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Sofnolime is harder than Sodasorb and hence a bit less dusty.
    Sodasorb tends to have slightly larger (or more large) granules than Sofnolime.
    Sodasorb supposedly has a bit higher absorbant capacity in the fine mesh
    and a bit more in the coarse granules (4-8 mesh).

Since the Dräger has backmounted counterlungs I for one would opt for the larger mesh
    to get the best WOB possible, so I would go with Sodasorb 4-8.

Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7
    Sofnolime is harder than Sodasorb and hence a bit less dusty.
    Sodasorb tends to have slightly larger (or more large) granules than Sofnolime.
    Sodasorb supposedly has a bit higher absorbant capacity in the fine mesh
    and a bit more in the coarse granules (4-8 mesh).

Since the Dräger has backmounted counterlungs I for one would opt for the larger mesh
    to get the best WOB possible, so I would go with Sodasorb 4-8.

Hi Stefan, supposedly the most recent formulation of Sodasorb is harder than anything else, haven't checked yet. But I think it is still much less dusty/soft than Drager stuff. Are you sure that the WOB will be noticeably higher with 6-12 than 5-9? Seems like the average gap/breathing space btw the range of 6-12 might be pretty close to 5-9... -Andy

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

8-12 has a hardness of 98, ain't getting much harder than that. ;)
    6-12 is around 94, 95 iirc.

I'm not sure about the WOB differences, but I figure the people that
    sell mil spec units can afford the testing (or have the mil afford it)
    and they seem to settle on a coarser grade than 6-12 and 8-12.
    So, me thinks, they probably know something I don't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast