+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: National Geographic/Nova Documentary Teaser

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Re: National Geographic/Nova Documentary Teaser

Quote Originally Posted by ljj  View Original Post
    On many of the "top extreme sports" lists, cave diving in fact is right up there in the top five, right next to base jumping, street luge and ice climbing... :)
    Hello ljj, I'd be curious to see one of those lists and who put them together. I'd also be interested to know how many base jumpers also go on to do a 1 week CCR class and then the 2 week cave course required to participate in the 'sport'.

Even so, IMHO, anybody who looks at cave diving as an 'extreme' 'sport' is approaching it the wrong way. By that I mean that if what attracts you to the 'sport' is the danger and risk of death and pushing the envelope to get closer to that feeling of risk and danger, you'd do the 'sport' a favor by doing something else. -Andy

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    Andy

Just thinking out loud here but maybe their research shows that they need to be attract those outside the baby boomer generation. I do not know the demographics but they certainly are known as the X generation. Maybe they have more disposable income and are more likely to spend it upon contributions to endevours such as PBS and NOVA. Maybe this is the case because they were spoiled by their baby boomer parents and coddled into believing that no one is a loser even in team sports.

Sorry for calling you old indirectly.

John

Ha, ha, ha! Good one John, thanks for the lovely connect the dots picture, -Andy

Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Tienuts  View Original Post
    Semantics dude. They used to call themselves skin divers back then too. I'm sure there is all kinds of words they used back then that we don't use now, and the inverse. There were also only 8 channels to watch back then too. Now there are 600 channels, and all are competing for the same market share and ad revenue. They need to hype it up to make viewers watch. If they don't get viewers, they don't have jobs, and we are stuck with watching low budget horrible reality shows.
    Hi T, sometimes semantics are just semantics, but I don't think that's the case here. And what about the term 'skin diver' conveys an element of danger? Me personally, I'd gladly trade less channels for better content and I think quality nature shows have always and will always have a solid audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tienuts  View Original Post
    Cops, paramedics, firefighters all roll their eyes and make the jerk-off sign when watching the likes of Rescue 911, or some other over-dramatized public safety show. Cause the show is not targeted to them. It's marketed and produced for the 97% of viewers who aren't them.

Just like this show.
    There is a difference between a Nat Geo cave diving documentary and a Rescue 911 type show, where the participants are professional public servants and where there may actually be some benefit to portraying their jobs as dangerous and important, even if it's not 100% accurate.

But I don't see who, other than possibly some dumb-ass cable executive, benefits from presenting cave diving in the same way as adrenaline driven 'sports' like base or bungee jumping.

And no, I don't expect Nat Geo to target a show at me particularly as a diver, I expect them to produce a show that everybody will find informative, interesting and accurate, which I don't think is asking too much or so hard to do... -Andy

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    And no, I don't expect Nat Geo to target a show at me particularly as a diver, I expect them to produce a show that everybody will find informative, interesting and accurate, which I don't think is asking too much or so hard to do... -Andy

I am currently working on a cave exploration documentary from virgin stuff we are exploring in Mexico and some small sidemount caves in Florida. Obviously you must be an expert on film production, so if you can spar some time, we could probably use your assistance............

Next shoot will be back to Gator Siphon where we are attempting to film a new sidemount pit restriction. We are waiting on the rains to stop a little so stomping the half mile through florida swamps will be a little easier.

ou are more than welcome to join the team, its lots of fun

Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    I am currently working on a cave exploration documentary from virgin stuff we are exploring in Mexico and some small sidemount caves in Florida. Obviously you must be an expert on film production, so if you can spar some time, we could probably use your assistance............

Next shoot will be back to Gator Siphon where we are attempting to film a new sidemount pit restriction. We are waiting on the rains to stop a little so stomping the half mile through florida swamps will be a little easier.

ou are more than welcome to join the team, its lots of fun

While I've worked on a few movies in various capacities, I've never claimed expert status and never meant to denigrate anybody's hard work. I just don't dig the spin in this particular case. Marketing/production execs are my target, not the filmmakers.

Thanks for the offer to participate though, but I'm too busy with opening a business and a bunch of other things to get away. I enjoyed diving with you in Baja in 08' and hope to have the opportunity to do so again, -Andy
    Last edited by silent running; 11th February 2010 at 21:06.

Surface Interval Clothing Pipnaintez will become famous soon enough Pipnaintez will become famous soon enough Pipnaintez will become famous soon enough Pipnaintez will become famous soon enough Pipnaintez's Avatar

I thought the program was very entertaining. I really enjoyed it.

ADM / RBW Staff Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel is a jewel in the rough Walter Pickel's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post

You are more than welcome to join the team, its lots of fun
    Here is a link to Gator so you can take a look at the terrain - Gator Siphon