+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just join the forum

RBW Member Sig is an unknown quantity at this point Sig's Avatar

Just join the forum

Hi everyone, my name is Sig; I'm 66 years old and have been diving for about 35 years. I dove the Andrea Doria in 1992; I am also full cave cert. and have dove the Yucatan's cave systems and some caves in Florida. In 2005, I joined a group to dive Bikini Atoll's wrecks (that's the sum total of the high points). I don't do much true technical diving anymore in the way of depth but....I completed ANDI CCR level II in 2007 and, as a retirement present to myself, bought AP's Evolution CCR. I just couldn't sit on the sidelines and not be part of the greatest revolution in sport diving to come along since I started diving.

I now have had 102 dives on the EVo...all shallow, i.e. 130 feet or shallower. I think the Evolution is a fantasic machine; it's also a very dangerous machine to use and it is extremely unforgiving of mental lapses and lack of attention to detail...as I have found out the hard way. Which brings me to why I joined the forum. I know I will enjoy reading about other divers experiences and hopefully learn from them. Probably 98% of my diving is off the coast of Southern California where there are abundant kelp forests.

Cheers,
    Sig

Sic Semper Tyrannis NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER's Avatar

Re: Just join the forum

Welcome to RBW, Sig!

You will find more information here than you can read in a lifetime, well almost.

We all learn from others and most do not pass judgment on others. With that said, we learn from each others mistakes so we may all live to dive again.

If you wouldn't mind, we could all benefit from you sharing your story.

Cheers,

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Hi Sig,

Nice to meet you on RBW

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Markku Diedrich Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure's Avatar
    Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

I think we can learn from YOUR experience, welcome on board.

RBW Member diverchrispy is an unknown quantity at this point diverchrispy's Avatar
    Evolution PLUS

Inspiration Classic Hammerhead

Welcome aboard Sig.
    I'm an Evolution diver as well. Like any RB, an eye for detail, fastidiousness and caution always will pay you back.

Check and double check........

Chrispy

RBW Member Sig is an unknown quantity at this point Sig's Avatar

Dear friends,
    thank you ".Tom.", Chett L, Meg #773, Chrispy for your warm words of welcome. In response to Tom's comment, I recount the following:
    Looking back after my initial cert. on the Evolution, one thing I noticed was the insidious amount of bad habits that immediately crept into my diving with the Evol. I won't enumerate but this climaxed in a situation where I was diving off my own boat off Anacapa Island;there was nothing but sheer seawall everywhere; my buddy and I were in about 25-30' of water; we were on our third dive and, because this was suppose to be a quick shallow dive, I had no RBS bottle with me. I signaled my buddy I was surfacing to get a compasss heading back to the boat; after doing this, I started my descent and about half way to the bottom gasped my last breath!! I grabbed my pressure guages and to my horror my DIL read zero. I had no suit inflation, no BC inflation and no air!!(and regarding those bad habits, I had thought my monitoring of my instrumentation was just fine!...by OC standards!!)

I kicked for the surface. Due to my inexperience, I didn't think of using my oxygen side to inflate my lungs for flotation or use the high pressure setting on the CL. The boat sat in 60-70 feet of water and stood off about 50yds. I got to the surface and started to try and inflate the BC orally; for some reason, I decided this was not giving me any results and I said to myself, "It's me or my rebreather!" and I ditched it! It floated, though bearly, next to me. I was just at the cusp of breaking surf.
    By then my buddy appeared, somewhat confused as to why I wasn't wearing my rebreather; we towed the rebreather back to the boat.

Needless to say, I have never run out of Dil since; overiding lesson, when you strap on a rebreather, you're doing a technical dive, even if the depth will be ....10feet.

Sig
    Last edited by Sig; 27th January 2010 at 03:26.

Surface Interval Clothing Pipnaintez will become famous soon enough Pipnaintez will become famous soon enough Pipnaintez will become famous soon enough Pipnaintez will become famous soon enough Pipnaintez's Avatar

Welcome to RBW.

I'm glad you came out ok and are able to apply the learning experience to future dives.

RBW Member PipsGirl is an unknown quantity at this point PipsGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NEDIVER  View Original Post
    Welcome to RBW, Sig!

You will find more information here than you can read in a lifetime, well almost.

We all learn from others and most do not pass judgment on others. With that said, we learn from each others mistakes so we may all live to dive again.

If you wouldn't mind, we could all benefit from you sharing your story.

Cheers,
    Well said Tom.

RBW Member JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF is a jewel in the rough JasonF's Avatar
    rEvo III Hyb Min, rEvo II STD

CK, SK, CCR 2000, Dolphin, Ray

Hi Sig,

Welcome to RBW.

I believe that bad experiences/close calls can always be turned into a positive ones as long as the people are willing to learn from them.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Safe diving!

Cheers

RBW Member dave burke is on a distinguished road dave burke is on a distinguished road dave burke's Avatar
    APD Vision

Hi Sig
    welcome to RBW
    there is always some thing new to learn
    safe diving
    dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast