+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on bail-out

On the loop! E-man will become famous soon enough E-man will become famous soon enough E-man will become famous soon enough E-man's Avatar

Opinions on bail-out

Hey,

Im wondering could you/would if you had the larger tanks on the optima use them as on-board bail-out in recreational depth limits and no deco limit diving.

So how long how deep could I stay with the larger tanks and still have enough to bail out with the dil and use the O2 at 20' at an RMV of say 30?

Ian

EBT called me stroppy! Jordan will become famous soon enough Jordan will become famous soon enough Jordan will become famous soon enough Jordan's Avatar

Re: Opinions on bail-out

Quote Originally Posted by E-man
    Hey,

Im wondering could you/would if you had the larger tanks on the optima use them as on-board bail-out in recreational depth limits and no deco limit diving.

So how long how deep could I stay with the larger tanks and still have enough to bail out with the dil and use the O2 at 20' at an RMV of say 30?

Ian
    Yes you could bail out to that 27 cu ft cylinder during recreational diving. Would I? Depends. Probably not as I always plan on having at least a small off-board bottle..you practically don't notice a small 19 or 30.

As for your 2nd question, I will leave that one up to you. It will be good practice for you to figure out.

Instructor seafox is on a distinguished road seafox is on a distinguished road seafox's Avatar
    TORONTO, CANADA -Have "02ptima" will travel!
    OPTIMA

INSPIRATION CLASSIC

Quote Originally Posted by E-man
    Hey,

Ian
    My personal phylosophy is to always sling a bailout bottle on every dive, no matter what size botlles are on the CCR.
    No exceptions!:)

Made in England. Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk. has a spectacular aura about Nick uk.'s Avatar
    Viale C.Colombo 75 Marina di Carrara. MS 54036 Italy

I would opt for a seperate bail out bottle in any case, it's their to donate to an eventual buddy too. Even with a smaller cylinder your time limmit will be governed by the scrubber and not the cylinder, at least on a single dive anyway. :)

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

My Optima came with a second stage to use for bailout from the onboard gas (though I never connected it). Within "recreational" limits, you can use the onboard tank for bailout if you really don't want to bring along a bailout bottle. I elected not to use it because I just figured that I would start by slinging a bottle from the beginning. Doing it this way, I can keep a consistent practice for when I am ready to start diving deeper.

FYI, the Optima will likely have the equivalent of an Air II on the wing inflator in the near future. This might be an option; I don't know if it will come standard with the Optima.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDadMiami
    My Optima came with a second stage to use for bailout from the onboard gas (though I never connected it). Within "recreational" limits, you can use the onboard tank for bailout if you really don't want to bring along a bailout bottle. I elected not to use it because I just figured that I would start by slinging a bottle from the beginning. Doing it this way, I can keep a consistent practice for when I am ready to start diving deeper.

FYI, the Optima will likely have the equivalent of an Air II on the wing inflator in the near future. This might be an option; I don't know if it will come standard with the Optima.
    I would NEVER consider the onboard cylinder bailout.. There is no redundancy... I would consider it only as a temp option to use while I get the offboard bailout ready..

Here is a point which few people consider... IP crrep on regs is a pretty common thing, OC divers usually don;t even realize it because they are breathing off the reg and always relieve the excess pressure... Once you fill your bags and wing there is little addition of gas so the pressure can build until something gives.. It could be the ADV, the manual add, or nothing..

I have seen LP hoses burst, I have lost my HP seat on my dil tank and dumped almost the entire lp tanks in about 15 seconds (Reaction time plus shutoff)..

Now I have no bailout available and maybe enough to add some gas to a wing at the surface.. Its time to turn the dive, but depending on where you are it might not be an easy proposition...

When I had my failure I was in a free-fall on a wall in cayman.. I went to add gas to my wing as I was approaching my target depth (I was just passing 275) and POP, then lots of bubbles... Granted this is beyond your recreational depth but it could have easily happened at 100 or 130 fsw and now you need gas for your breathing bags and wing!.. You are F*cked unless your buddy can supply you with gas or unless you have an independent cylinder..

Just Say no to diving without independent bailout!

ABout the only time I can think of me diving without bailout was doing some bottle hunting in ~30ffw, on a solid bottom less than 50 yards offshore..... I carry independent bailout on every dive...
    Last edited by jradomski; 7th February 2006 at 04:14.
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Kevin Hagerich Helium_diver is an unknown quantity at this point Helium_diver's Avatar
    KISS Classic

ccr dolphin

I am of the same mind as everyone else . never dive with out an independent bailout. Be safe.

Helium_diver
    "If I look unconscious I probably am " Bill Hartman

Prism 'prentice Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike is a splendid one to behold Mike's Avatar
    Prism

"Trust your rebreather"

Simple line for me - I dive with no offboard bailout on any dive that I would have done on a single tank. However, I always make it clear that I have no bailout for a buddy in this circumstance - if thats a problem, carry a sling.

100 bar in a 3l is enough for me to make it up from ~30m, so as long as I have that in the Dil tank, I'm happy.

Really like how light and simple it is with no stages attached.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike; 7th February 2006 at 04:27.

O2ptima Test Dummy
    JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones's Avatar

I have the New Rite Source on both of my units with a cut off and I carry a independent bailout. Now if I'm diving on a shallow reef in the Keys I would have no problem with diving without one but thats not my bag.

You need to make an educated discission and know that you are betting your life on it.

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JPJones
    I have the New Rite Source on both of my units. . . .
    When will the Source be available to us little people? ;)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast